News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Suu demands to know what you are listening to!

Started by Suu, February 28, 2009, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 07:36:12 PM
Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 07:30:59 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 07:25:49 PM

Well, there's no point fucking about.

Programming != being a musician.  Programmed "music" is an abomination in the eyes of Johnny Cash, and come the revolution, the temple will be cleansed with fire.

Johnny Cash?
Oh dear...

They can't be compared because they are just two very very different skills?

^this

you're a traditionalist Howl, I respect that, and even agree to a point.

and since appreciation of music is subjective, you're opinion is just as valid as anyone else's

I'll call foul though if you don't think that someone that can play an electronic keyboard as well as a traditional piano is less of a musician because of the instrument.

you're completely correct on drum machine programmers, even though you have to have an understanding of music and time to properly write a beat for the machine to reproduce.

but under your rule, electric guitarists would have to fall under this as well since the instrument is electronic.

It's electrical.  That's different.  Unless you're claiming that a light switch = an iPod.

Also, your first point is invalid because even though the horrible din and random noises shat out and called "techno" (or whatever) may be pleasing to your damaged pleasure center, it still isn't music.

It sure as hell ain't rock n roll, anyway.  You could take every minute of synthetic screech and combine it, and it would never even approach 10 seconds of Bob Seger's worst song.

Molon Lube

Hanni

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 07:41:43 PM

Johnny Cash?
Oh dear...

^this

and since appreciation of music is subjective, you're opinion is just as valid as anyone else's

I'll call foul though if you don't think that someone that can play an electronic keyboard as well as a traditional piano is less of a musician because of the instrument.

you're completely correct on drum machine programmers, even though you have to have an understanding of music and time to properly write a beat for the machine to reproduce.

but under your rule, electric guitarists would have to fall under this as well since the instrument is electronic.

It's electrical.  That's different.  Unless you're claiming that a light switch = an iPod.

Also, your first point is invalid because even though the horrible din and random noises shat out and called "techno" (or whatever) may be pleasing to your damaged pleasure center, it still isn't music.

It sure as hell ain't rock n roll, anyway.  You could take every minute of synthetic screech and combine it, and it would never even approach 10 seconds of Bob Seger's worst song.

You pushed it with Johnny Cash...
Who the hell is Bob Seger?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 07:45:32 PM

Johnny Cash?
Oh dear...

^this

Musician in the 70s and 80s.  You Euros lack the glands to properly appreciate him.

Fact:  Nothing bad can happen to you if he's on the radio (CDs/mp3s do not afford the same divine protection).

Youtube Bob Seger "Still the same" and "The Fire Down Below" for examples.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 07:25:49 PM

Well, there's no point fucking about.

Programming != being a musician.  Programmed "music" is an abomination in the eyes of Johnny Cash, and come the revolution, the temple will be cleansed with fire.

Johnny Cash?
Oh dear...

^this

everything in bold is an opinion, even if it is shared by a large group of people.

you sound like I imagine the parents of the kids of the 50's sounded like decrying Rock & Roll.

I'm pretty sure you've said you can't get YouTube at work, but when you can, check this out and tell me if you think it doesn't qualify as music.  The vocals, guitars and drums were played and recorded by him (real guitar and drums) then sequenced and additional sounds were added to give it a depth.

I promise it wont rape your ears, it's actually a very low tempo song, but still falls under the electronic music catagory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tQ5r1LfKnY&feature=related

so, if he plays all of his instruments himself and has to sequence them to get a song, does that mean he's not a musician either?
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Hanni

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 07:47:59 PM

Musician in the 70s and 80s.  You Euros lack the glands to properly appreciate him.

Fact:  Nothing bad can happen to you if he's on the radio (CDs/mp3s do not afford the same divine protection).

I know now why I've never heard of him... That's just not very cool music (I have a feeling though my mum might have some on her ipod, after Wham!, Abba and Dolly Parton)

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 07:53:00 PM

Musician in the 70s and 80s.  You Euros lack the glands to properly appreciate him.

Fact:  Nothing bad can happen to you if he's on the radio (CDs/mp3s do not afford the same divine protection).

I know now why I've never heard of him... That's just not very cool music (I have a feeling though my mum might have some on her ipod, after Wham!, Abba and Dolly Parton)

:aaa:

:spit:

:retard:
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Hanni

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 07:51:40 PM

everything in bold is an opinion, even if it is shared by a large group of people.

you sound like I imagine the parents of the kids of the 50's sounded like decrying Rock & Roll.

I'm pretty sure you've said you can't get YouTube at work, but when you can, check this out and tell me if you think it doesn't qualify as music.  The vocals, guitars and drums were played and recorded by him (real guitar and drums) then sequenced and additional sounds were added to give it a depth.

I promise it wont rape your ears, it's actually a very low tempo song, but still falls under the electronic music catagory.

so, if he plays all of his instruments himself and has to sequence them to get a song, does that mean he's not a musician either?

That's an awesome song.

Doktor Howl

You're going to hell for that.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 07:55:09 PM

That's an awesome song.

he's never done a bad song.

Doktor Howl

The critical difference being that they were wrong and I am right.
Molon Lube

AFK

When it comes to music, the rock and roll DEFINES cool.  Not that it is really appreciated anymore.  It seems like that ended sometime around 1996. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Hanni

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 27, 2010, 08:06:25 PM

When it comes to music, the rock and roll DEFINES cool.  Not that it is really appreciated anymore.  It seems like that ended sometime around 1996. 

I agree generally but those two songs I listened to were just... They... They were a "just no" kind of moment. I lean more toward The Clash if we're talking 'old' music.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 27, 2010, 08:06:25 PM

You can't expect kids to understand that, RWHN.  They've lost their way, and "cool" is just a description of temperature, now.  They have programmed "music" fed into their ears with iPods that have more memory that existed when we were young...I mean, with all that storage, why BOTHER reserving any time for cool shit?

There's always time, after all.

Until one day they die unsaved, and Roy Orbison and "Bob" cast them into the fiery pit, where nothing but Neil Sedaka plays and nobody is allowed to dance or even drive muscle cars.  And there's no Saturday Night, and lawyers bang on your door and bill collectors shove writs through the mail slot and everyone moves like lightning, but they speak only gibberish, and it's always Monday morning rush hour, and the AC in your Honda breaks.

But at least they'll have techno to drown it all out.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 08:10:29 PM
I agree generally but those two songs I listened to were just... They... They were a "just no" kind of moment. I lean more toward The Clash if we're talking 'old' music.

STRAIGHT TO HELL.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 08:10:29 PM

You do realize there's about fifty years of recorded popular music that came before 1976, right?