News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

Suu demands to know what you are listening to!

Started by Suu, February 28, 2009, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on October 27, 2010, 08:14:17 PM
Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 08:10:29 PM
I agree generally but those two songs I listened to were just... They... They were a "just no" kind of moment. I lean more toward The Clash if we're talking 'old' music.

You do realize there's about fifty years of recorded popular music that came before 1970, right?

CAST NOT YOUR PEARLS BEFORE SWINE, LMNO.

HANNI WILL LEARN THE HORRIBLE TRUTH WHEN IT IS FAR, FAR TOO LATE.  AND SHE SHALL BE CAST INTO A LAKE OF FIRE.  LIKE PHOENIX, ONLY WITH NO HIGHWAY LEADING OUT.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Hanni

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on October 27, 2010, 08:14:17 PM
Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 08:10:29 PM
I agree generally but those two songs I listened to were just... They... They were a "just no" kind of moment. I lean more toward The Clash if we're talking 'old' music.

You do realize there's about fifty years of recorded popular music that came before 1976, right?

Yes but where do you start looking for that? The nearest I've even gotten to the original music is a lovely lady called Lola Lamour who my grandad and I saw a while back at a War Rememberance Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdDAPbmOgKo

Other than that... I haven't really listened to old music, besides classical music and the Wham!/Abba/Cheese my mum insists on listening to

Doktor Howl

Okay, I think I understand the standard kids are using to judge music these days:

1.  If more than 10 minutes went into writing the lyrics, it's old people music.

2.  If someone had to learn an actual instrument, it's old people music.

3.  If it doesn't sound exactly like all the other "music" you like, it's old people music.

4.  If there's any message at all other than "your fillings need to be looser", it's old people music.

5.  Anything with more than 3 chords (synthetic or otherwise) = Dolly Parton.

We should have stopped reproducing a generation ago.  There's just no style, no class, anymore.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 08:22:04 PM
Yes but where do you start looking for that? The nearest I've even gotten to the original music is a lovely lady called Lola Lamour who my grandad and I saw a while back at a War Rememberance Day

Please rephrase your message in something more resembling coherence.

Quotehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdDAPbmOgKo
Other than that... I haven't really listened to old music, besides classical music and the Wham!/Abba/Cheese my mum insists on listening to

So... first you lump 1400 years of pre-recorded music into one term ("classical"), then you jump straight to 1940s big band, then take another leap into the 70's?

You don't really like music, do you?

Disco Pickle

Hanni, check these two out.

The Doves - Jetstream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaJ1X1tlJSI

Monarchy - Phoenix Alive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E9Ytgkkugs&feature=list_related&a=AYMcY2vx8GQU9M2w4-kwEyPAFu0OeaZE&list=ML&playnext=1

They're both mixed into that set 250 at 32 minutes and 42 minutes respectively.  If you didn't like the beginning, you should give it another listen if just for those two songs.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on October 27, 2010, 08:29:11 PM

Why like music, when you can have the same synthetic crap "remixed"?

Remixing synth = Dubstep, by the way, no matter how thin you slice it.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

32+ minutes of Dubstep?

I guess she doesn't HAVE to go to hell.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 08:30:50 PM

this is so wrong, I'm not even sure where to start.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 08:31:34 PM
32+ minutes of Dubstep?

I guess she doesn't HAVE to go to hell.   :lulz:

they're *gasp* bands.  just because they made their music after the 70's doesn't mean they're not music.

REAL INSTRUMENTS!

wasn't that your litmus test?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 08:33:22 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 08:30:50 PM

this is so wrong, I'm not even sure where to start.

Well, take your time and explain it to me.
Molon Lube

AFK

There are very few things on this god-forsaken planet that are better than a good rock song.  A good rock song can take any crappy day and turn it into a crappy day with good music.  It puts a smile on your face, a pump in your fist, and a swagger in your step.  

And that's just hit, rock has swagger.  Computers don't have swagger.  And its perfectly imperfect.  Songs are made by the fuzz and burps that come out of the instruments.  No auto-tune bull shit.

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Sister_Gothique

Elton John-All The Young Girls Love Alice
(Not a damn word, Roger. lol)

And to reply to your comment on Megadeth....yeah, I know...utter crap...but I like that song anyhow. So nyah!
I'm the new "God's Will"...Soon it'll be, "Oh, I can't be held accountable for THAT, Sister Gothique made me do it!"

Hanni

Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 08:22:04 PM

Please rephrase your message in something more resembling coherence.

Quotehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdDAPbmOgKo

So... first you lump 1400 years of pre-recorded music into one term ("classical"), then you jump straight to 1940s big band, then take another leap into the 70's?

Sorry, I'll have a go at rephrasing that.

I haven't listened to music before the 1970s via covers by 'Lola Lamour' who is a 1940s singer and 'classical music'.

I lumped it together because the last time I tried to explain to someone who wasn't my music teacher the differences I got a blank look. I don't particularly like Baroque music but Romantic is by far the best and most interesting to play in my opinion. I not really a big fan of choirs/opera/Singing (not sure of the technical term) but Zadok the Priest is an exception.