News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Suu demands to know what you are listening to!

Started by Suu, February 28, 2009, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hanni

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 08:52:06 PM
Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 08:45:31 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 27, 2010, 08:44:13 PM

Post 1973 I would add "I Don't Want To Go On With You Like That"  A great piano riff in that one. 

Oh... too late- I like Burn Down the Mission, my bias toward piano comes out at times like this, will listen to the others after

All of his stuff uses loads of piano.  It was his instrument.  He's arguably one of the top 3 pianists of the 20th century.

I've heard that said before- also Jools Holland is considered close to the top by lots of people

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 08:54:55 PM
because it's a piano sound from an electronic instrument, this would not classify as a musician to you Howl.

I have to respectfully disagree.

You are correct in your assessment of my opinion.  Electronic music is too perfect.  It lacks the imperfections and mistakes that make music a human endeavor.

In short, electronic music is perfect for America in the 21st century.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 08:58:20 PM
because it's a piano sound from an electronic instrument, this would not classify as a musician to you Howl.

You are correct in your assessment of my opinion.  Electronic music is too perfect.  It lacks the imperfections and mistakes that make music a human endeavor.

but you still need a person to make the music.  yes, the technology allows for complete error control if it's not done live (a live electronic music set is a pretty amazing sight BTW, especially india or GOA trance music) but the human element is now entirely in the composition.

so you might think of them more as composers than true musicians, unless they're recording themselves playing instruments and placing it in their work.

we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether it's music.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Hanni

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 09:10:45 PM

but you still need a person to make the music.  yes, the technology allows for complete error control if it's not done live (a live electronic music set is a pretty amazing sight BTW, especially india or GOA trance music) but the human element now entirely in the composition.

so you might think of them more as composers than true musicians, unless they're recording themselves playing instruments and placing it in their work.

One of the most amasing sets I've been too was an electronic set by Unicorn Kid ("8-bit")- I can't stand to sit at home and listen but in that atmosphere it was brilliant.

Doktor Howl

but you still need a person to make the music.  yes, the technology allows for complete error control if it's not done live (a live electronic music set is a pretty amazing sight BTW, especially india or GOA trance music) but the human element now entirely in the composition.

My other problem with it was demonstrated by Hanni.  You don't listen to electronic music with your ears, you listen to it with your intestines.

How anyone could listen to either Bob Seger song I posted and not feel all horrible and filthy is beyond me...Unless, of course, they aren't listening to the lyrics, just the music itself.  And if the music isn't pounding bass at the right BPM, she couldn't listen to it anyway, because her internal organs aren't being assaulted, just her ears.

Maybe I really am an old fart, because I like a little subtlety in my music, not just being bashed with low frequency noise.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 09:13:16 PM

One of the most amasing sets I've been too was an electronic set by Unicorn Kid ("8-bit")- I can't stand to sit at home and listen but in that atmosphere it was brilliant.

jesus christ.  he really uses 8 bit digital waveforms.

I hate to say this Hanni, but that shit's too electronic even for ME.

sounds like Optimus Prime ass fucking Soundwave in the middle of a tornado, while giving him a reach around.

I get your thing about the atmosphere though.  The scene here in Florida was ruined by the fucking drug kids.  I loved going to shows and seeing a live set, but dumbasses were dying of dehydration from MDMA and dancing without water.

the closest place to get electronic music  for me now is Orlando or Miami, which sux because I hate them both.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Hanni

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 09:14:47 PM

My other problem with it was demonstrated by Hanni.  You don't listen to electronic music with your ears, you listen to it with your intestines.

How anyone could listen to either Bob Seger song I posted and not feel all horrible and filthy is beyond me...Unless, of course, they aren't listening to the lyrics, just the music itself.  And if the music isn't pounding bass at the right BPM, she couldn't listen to it anyway, because her internal organs aren't being assaulted, just her ears.

Maybe I really am an old fart, because I like a little subtlety in my music, not just being bashed with low frequency noise.

Some songs I like because of the lyrics- some I like because it's just full of energy... Whistle for the Choir by the Fratellis has nice lyrics (in fact most of their lyrics are pretty awesome)... the Dire Straights have good lyrics.

But sometimes you just want something to kill the ear drums.

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 09:20:49 PM

jesus christ.  he really uses 8 bit digital waveforms.

I hate to say this Hanni, but that shit's too electronic even for ME.

sounds like Optimus Prime ass fucking Soundwave in the middle of a tornado, while giving him a reach around.

I get your thing about the atmosphere though.  The scene here in Florida was ruined by the fucking drug kids.  I loved going to shows and seeing a live set, but dumbasses were dying of dehydration from MDMA and dancing without water.

the closest place to get electronic music  for me now is Orlando or Miami, which sux because I hate them both.

Generally I don't listen to anything 'electronic' besides that... It's good hoovering music now.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 09:24:33 PM

Some songs I like because of the lyrics- some I like because it's just full of energy... Whistle for the Choir by the Fratellis has nice lyrics (in fact most of their lyrics are pretty awesome)... the Dire Straights have good lyrics.

Yep.  But you weren't able to listen to the Seger tunes at all, because if you had been able to listen to them, you'd have commented on the horror that the lyrics inspire.

But I can tell I'm sort of shouting into the void now, same as I would be trying to explain a cell phone to Ben Franklin.  Some things just don't translate well, and rock n roll seems to have had the biscuit, these days, to be replaced by error-free computer generated "music".

I really feel bad for you guys.
Molon Lube

Hanni

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 09:32:24 PM
Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 09:24:33 PM

Yep.  But you weren't able to listen to the Seger tunes at all, because if you had been able to listen to them, you'd have commented on the horror that the lyrics inspire.

But I can tell I'm sort of shouting into the void now, same as I would be trying to explain a cell phone to Ben Franklin.  Some things just don't translate well, and rock n roll seems to have had the biscuit, these days, to be replaced by error-free computer generated "music".

I really feel bad for you guys.

I'll always be open to suggestions- And I promise to listen to them properly several times and then chant the lyrics back if that would make you happy and convinced I was at least trying to understand 'real' music.

(ps... the Fratellis don't use any synths- they can actually play their instruments)

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 09:34:58 PM
I'll always be open to suggestions- And I promise to listen to them properly several times and then chant the lyrics back if that would make you happy and convinced I was at least trying to understand 'real' music.

No need to be patronizing, Hanni.  If you enjoy electronic music1, then that's what you should listen to, I suppose.

1  In an uncharacteristic fit of generosity, I was able to leave the quote marks out.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 09:39:05 PM

No need to be patronizing, Hanni.  If you enjoy electronic music1, then that's what you should listen to, I suppose.

1  In an uncharacteristic fit of generosity, I was able to leave the quote marks out.

WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE WITH DOK!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 09:39:58 PM

I accidentally the coffee pot this morning, so I am caffiene deficient.
Molon Lube

Cain

You're all overlooking the real villain of contemporary music - autotune.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 27, 2010, 09:42:26 PM

That was mentioned, but I think all of our brains rejected it.

Anyone using autotune (with the SOLE exception of the Freeman Dyson/Bill Nye/Richard Feynmann vid) should be thrown into a mulcher.
Molon Lube

Hanni

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 09:39:58 PM

No need to be patronizing, Hanni.  If you enjoy electronic music1, then that's what you should listen to, I suppose.

1  In an uncharacteristic fit of generosity, I was able to leave the quote marks out.

I don't know!  :| Maybe he's ill

Quote from: Cain on October 27, 2010, 09:42:26 PM
Total agreement there!