News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Suu demands to know what you are listening to!

Started by Suu, February 28, 2009, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hanni

Talk to you tomorrow- Time for 'little girls' to go to bed.
Thanks for the interesting discussion  :D

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Cain on October 27, 2010, 09:42:26 PM
You're all overlooking the real villain of contemporary music - autotune.

god yes.  While I love the technology able to adjust a frequency without degrading the quality of the signal (LOL right?) I hate how it's being used in modern music.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

eighteen buddha strike

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 09:50:02 PM

god yes.  While I love the technology able to adjust a frequency without degrading the quality of the signal (LOL right?) I hate how it's being used in modern music.

Autotune has potential, its just awful when its used for its intended purpose.

I'd love to get the chance to play with it, I wonder if its possible to autotune the sound of machinery to whalesongs... for example.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: eighteen buddha strike on October 27, 2010, 09:55:56 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 09:50:02 PM

Autotune has potential, its just awful when its used for its intended purpose.

I'd love to get the chance to play with it, I wonder if its possible to autotune the sound of machinery to whalesongs... for example.

it allows you to take a raw recording (analogue waveform, vocals for instance, or guitar recorded line-in to a desk) and adjust it's frequency without the usual degradation you would get. 

in other words, you wouldn't have to rerecord to correct a bad note.  This saves a LOT of studio time, but like Howl says, takes the human error element out of it.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 08:52:06 PM
All of his stuff uses loads of piano.  It was his instrument.  He's arguably one of the top 3 pianists of the 20th century.
Elton John, Billy Joel, and...? Who you got third? Keith Emerson? Steve Winwood? Rick Wakeman? Joe Jackson?

Also, where do you stand on Kraftwerk?
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 27, 2010, 10:26:33 PM
All of his stuff uses loads of piano.  It was his instrument.  He's arguably one of the top 3 pianists of the 20th century.
Elton John, Billy Joel, and...? Who you got third? Keith Emerson? Steve Winwood? Rick Wakeman? Joe Jackson?

Liberace in his younger days.

And I don't know much about Kraftwerk.
Molon Lube

themenniss

at the moment i've been listening to Battles and 65Daysofstatic. I like instrumental stuff, requires composers to find more inventive ways of communicating with the spectators.
'I talk aloud to all those who listen. when nobody does, i talk aloud to myself.'

Disco Pickle

I'm willing to bet he is not on the side of Kraftwerk.

they and a one or two others were my introduction to electronic. fucking love em.

Dok, you don't like ELO I'm guessing?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 11:31:26 PM

they and a one or two others were my introduction to electronic. fucking love em.

One of the best bands ever, IMO.

Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 11:32:03 PM

even considering their medium of creation?

Im with you on that BTW, fucking amazing.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

AFK

All of his stuff uses loads of piano.  It was his instrument.  He's arguably one of the top 3 pianists of the 20th century.

Stevie Wonder

Yeah, I know, technically he was more synthesizer than piano but the man had skills either way.  Oh and also a mean harmonica player.  That dude just oozes soul. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

eighteen buddha strike

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 11:32:03 PM

Fun Fun Fun
On the Autobahn

Hanni

Quote from: themenniss on October 27, 2010, 10:33:21 PM
at the moment i've been listening to Battles and 65Daysofstatic. I like instrumental stuff, requires composers to find more inventive ways of communicating with the spectators.

65DaysofStatic is pretty good- never listened to Battles though.
Maybe you could try EF? That's pretty much all instrumental.

Disco Pickle

Listening to The Black Ghosts - Anyway You Choose to Give It

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Jyk0b9IZc

gets my morning going better than coffee.