News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

Suu demands to know what you are listening to!

Started by Suu, February 28, 2009, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 16, 2010, 04:49:40 PM
For more attentive listening I would highly recommend Moonsorrow.  Good mix of black metal, folk/viking metal, with a dash of progressive metal.  They're dropping a new album in Feb 11. 

Hey, not bad!

I realy dig the blackmetal style vocals, as opposed to deathmetal style. I hate that dog-barking shit.

And this Moonsorrow song I'm currently listening to (Kylan Paassa) has a fucking juice harp in it. A FUCKING JUICE HARP!! YES!!
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

LMNO

I'm amused that you don't like harsh, shouted vocals.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 16, 2010, 04:56:59 PM
I'm amused that you don't like harsh, shouted vocals.

Oh, I don't mind harsh vocals, just not ones that sound like a pack of starved rotweilers.

Cuddlefish

AFK

They use the juice harp quite a bit actually.  It was a little weird at first.  They do a pretty good cover of For Whom the Bell Tolls.  And it's about the only song they sing in English.  I think one of their best tunes is Pimea off the Verisakeet album.  

Also, a little trivia, the guy that writes most of their music, Henri Sorvali, also is the main composer and keyboardist for Finntroll.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Quote from: Cuddlefist on November 16, 2010, 04:58:59 PM
Plus, Moonsorrow is really good. Thnx Rev.

NP.  When I'm not spreading punnery I like to spread the Metal. 

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 16, 2010, 04:59:13 PM
They use the juice harp quite a bit actually.  It was a little weird at first.  They do a pretty good cover of For Whom the Bell Tolls.  And it's about the only song they sing in English.  I think one of their best tunes is Pimea off the Verisakeet album.  

Also, a little trivia, the guy that writes most of their music, Henri Sorvali, also is the main composer and keyboardist for Finntroll.  

Juice-harp + Blackmetal = TOTAL WIN!

An aside, have you ever tried to play a juice-harp? It's the oddest sensation. You have to vibrate your own head cavity to get it to work, and you need strong teeth. Such a wierd instrument...

AFK

Yeah, I have one at home.  But I much prefer Nose flute. 

LMNO

I hate to break this to you, but it's not "juice harp", no matter what you might find on wikipedia.

It really is "Jew's Harp".  Deal with it.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 16, 2010, 05:08:39 PM
I hate to break this to you, but it's not "juice harp", no matter what you might find on wikipedia.

It really is "Jew's Harp".  Deal with it.

Fo' reel? I had been calling it that for years until someone "corrected" me. Word origin?

LMNO

The Oxford English Dictionary calls theories that the name is a corruption of "jaws" or "jeu" "baseless and inept" and goes on to say, "More or less satisfactory reasons may be conjectured: e.g. that the instrument was actually made, sold, or sent to England by Jews, or supposed to be so; or that it was attributed to them, as a good commercial name, suggesting the trumps and harps mentioned in the Bible."

So, literally: "The harp that Jews play."

Ah, musical racism.  But the name doesn't affect the sound it makes.

AFK

Maybe it's a PC movement but I've also heard it referred to by the more mundane and uncreative names, mouth harp and jaw harp.  Or as I like to call it, "That twangy thing."

Disco Pickle

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Auto-Tune the News #12: weed. lesbian allegaytions.

I've seen this several dozen times and I'm still LMAO. The little flapping hands kill me.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Reeducation

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 16, 2010, 06:32:02 PM
Maybe it's a PC movement but I've also heard it referred to by the more mundane and uncreative names, mouth harp and jaw harp.  Or as I like to call it, "That twangy thing."

We call it "Pirun Basso". Devil's Bass or Devil's Harp.
I am very calm