News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Suu demands to know what you are listening to!

Started by Suu, February 28, 2009, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 16, 2010, 04:49:40 PM
For more attentive listening I would highly recommend Moonsorrow.  Good mix of black metal, folk/viking metal, with a dash of progressive metal.  They're dropping a new album in Feb 11. 

Hey, not bad!

I realy dig the blackmetal style vocals, as opposed to deathmetal style. I hate that dog-barking shit.

And this Moonsorrow song I'm currently listening to (Kylan Paassa) has a fucking juice harp in it. A FUCKING JUICE HARP!! YES!!
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

LMNO

I'm amused that you don't like harsh, shouted vocals.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 16, 2010, 04:56:59 PM
I'm amused that you don't like harsh, shouted vocals.

Oh, I don't mind harsh vocals, just not ones that sound like a pack of starved rotweilers.

Cuddlefish

AFK

They use the juice harp quite a bit actually.  It was a little weird at first.  They do a pretty good cover of For Whom the Bell Tolls.  And it's about the only song they sing in English.  I think one of their best tunes is Pimea off the Verisakeet album.  

Also, a little trivia, the guy that writes most of their music, Henri Sorvali, also is the main composer and keyboardist for Finntroll.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Quote from: Cuddlefist on November 16, 2010, 04:58:59 PM
Plus, Moonsorrow is really good. Thnx Rev.

NP.  When I'm not spreading punnery I like to spread the Metal. 

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 16, 2010, 04:59:13 PM
They use the juice harp quite a bit actually.  It was a little weird at first.  They do a pretty good cover of For Whom the Bell Tolls.  And it's about the only song they sing in English.  I think one of their best tunes is Pimea off the Verisakeet album.  

Also, a little trivia, the guy that writes most of their music, Henri Sorvali, also is the main composer and keyboardist for Finntroll.  

Juice-harp + Blackmetal = TOTAL WIN!

An aside, have you ever tried to play a juice-harp? It's the oddest sensation. You have to vibrate your own head cavity to get it to work, and you need strong teeth. Such a wierd instrument...

AFK

Yeah, I have one at home.  But I much prefer Nose flute. 

LMNO

I hate to break this to you, but it's not "juice harp", no matter what you might find on wikipedia.

It really is "Jew's Harp".  Deal with it.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 16, 2010, 05:08:39 PM
I hate to break this to you, but it's not "juice harp", no matter what you might find on wikipedia.

It really is "Jew's Harp".  Deal with it.

Fo' reel? I had been calling it that for years until someone "corrected" me. Word origin?

LMNO

The Oxford English Dictionary calls theories that the name is a corruption of "jaws" or "jeu" "baseless and inept" and goes on to say, "More or less satisfactory reasons may be conjectured: e.g. that the instrument was actually made, sold, or sent to England by Jews, or supposed to be so; or that it was attributed to them, as a good commercial name, suggesting the trumps and harps mentioned in the Bible."

So, literally: "The harp that Jews play."

Ah, musical racism.  But the name doesn't affect the sound it makes.

AFK

Maybe it's a PC movement but I've also heard it referred to by the more mundane and uncreative names, mouth harp and jaw harp.  Or as I like to call it, "That twangy thing."

Disco Pickle

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Auto-Tune the News #12: weed. lesbian allegaytions.

I've seen this several dozen times and I'm still LMAO. The little flapping hands kill me.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Reeducation

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 16, 2010, 06:32:02 PM
Maybe it's a PC movement but I've also heard it referred to by the more mundane and uncreative names, mouth harp and jaw harp.  Or as I like to call it, "That twangy thing."

We call it "Pirun Basso". Devil's Bass or Devil's Harp.
I am very calm