News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Moral Absurdism

Started by MrFrizzleFry, March 03, 2009, 03:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrFrizzleFry

The belief that all human attempts to find a universal moral and ethic code will fail, and that adherence to any moral code or pursuit of moral truths is meaningless. A combination of moral nihilism and absurdism, it does not state that it is impossible to find purpose in life, but it is impossible to find a universal moral and ethic code. It is personally based off of the moral and ethic code I believe are presented in Discordian works such as the Principia Discordia, and the Illuminatus! Trilogy. Do you think that this is a resonable moral and ethic code to live by PD?

Torodung

I believe that reason and rationalization are overrated. They cause the human condition, in fact. Even when the human race was getting its ass kicked during the black plague, you would have people that would go from town to town beating the crap out of themselves. Rusty steel burrs stuck in their purple blood streaked backs, weeping and laughing, looting and praying, and generally scaring the crap out of everyone, especially those in "power." More than the plague scared the powerful, because the plague was reasonably mindless and there was a fair chance it wasn't going to come get them in the middle of the night.

You know, that's what people who weren't dropping dead did. What is this about morality? It's a luxury and a choice.
The only choice you're given is how best to burn
BURN BRIGHTLY

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: anthraxcat on March 03, 2009, 03:15:54 AM
The belief that all human attempts to find a universal moral and ethic code will fail, and that adherence to any moral code or pursuit of moral truths is meaningless. A combination of moral nihilism and absurdism, it does not state that it is impossible to find purpose in life, but it is impossible to find a universal moral and ethic code. It is personally based off of the moral and ethic code I believe are presented in Discordian works such as the Principia Discordia, and the Illuminatus! Trilogy. Do you think that this is a resonable moral and ethic code to live by PD?
I read a book where a guy came up with an easy to sum up moral code, that is to live your life in such a way as to maximize the number of people who will miss you when you are gone.  However, I've lost people I care about and I know how painful that is.  Everyone dies, and it seems that this lifestyle would do nothing but maximize the pain that your death will cause to others, so this seems kind of selfish.  Better to live as an absolute bastard, and have people rejoice when you die.

Sorry, that wasn't the serious answer you were looking for.

I don't think it's possible to come up with hard and fast rules of ethics that will apply in all situations.  I think the best we can do is come up with workable rules-of-thumb, and apply empathy and common sense.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

The Good Reverend Roger

Yes.

This is why Ayn Rand is such a fucking failure.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Torodung on March 03, 2009, 04:02:48 AMIt's a luxury and a choice.
Yeah.  It's easy to live by your principles when you have a full stomach.  For someone whose family is homeless, sick, and starving, I imagine that ethics might be an unaffordable luxury.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on March 03, 2009, 04:11:54 AM
Yeah.  It's easy to live by your principles when you have a full stomach.  For someone whose family is homeless, sick, and starving, I imagine that ethics might be an unaffordable luxury.

Then just drop on your forepaws and lead them back into the jungle.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

A.N. Other

Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on March 03, 2009, 04:11:54 AM
Yeah.  It's easy to live by your principles when you have a full stomach. For someone whose family is homeless, sick, and starving, I imagine that ethics might be an unaffordable luxury.

Social situation doesn't necessarily make one go against their principles. Poor, rich, hungry or not, everyone (or most everyone) betrays their morals at some point.
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

Jasper

OP:  So basically you just want to do whatever and not worry about whether it's right or wrong.

That's good to know.

Honey

Someone here (I think it was 000) once linked to this essay:

THE BASIC LAWS OF HUMAN STUPIDITY
by Carlo M. Cipolla
illustrations by James Donnelly

http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~leeey/stupidity/basic.htm

I thought it was excellent & useful.
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I enjoyed it greatly, not least because it defines stupidity in a way that has nothing to do with IQ, but with behavior.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

zen_magick

I think it is absurd to look for any "universals" moral or otherwise, but that's just me.
To much post-modernism has rotted my mind.
Blow my Mind or Blow Me!

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: zen_magick on March 03, 2009, 06:42:43 PM
I think it is absurd to look for any "universals" moral or otherwise, but that's just me.
To much post-modernism has rotted my mind.

It only seems to me to be wrongbad when one is unwilling to change what was previously thought to be universal in the face of contrary evidence or compelling reason.  Apart from that is seems to be perfectly natural human behavior.  Absurd, i agree.  But reasonably absurd.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think context is very important when discussing morals or ethics, and it's very difficult to lay down hard-and-fast rules because we can't possibly anticipate every potential context.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Aufenthatt

Humanity will can never find a undisputable universal truth, and even if we did, we'd disprove it.

Telarus

Universal Truth remains a contradiction because the qualifier Universal removes all meaningful context, and Truth only dwells within Context. Blah, blah, blah, something about Semantics being Anime-mask wearing testicle rape demons and fnords being used against us,

or

:horrormirth:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!