News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

Moral Absurdism

Started by MrFrizzleFry, March 03, 2009, 03:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrFrizzleFry

Quote from: Honey on March 03, 2009, 11:43:51 AM
Someone here (I think it was 000) once linked to this essay:

THE BASIC LAWS OF HUMAN STUPIDITY
by Carlo M. Cipolla
illustrations by James Donnelly

http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~leeey/stupidity/basic.htm

I thought it was excellent & useful.

:lulz:
I enjoyed it.

Aufenthatt

Quote from: Telarus on March 03, 2009, 09:59:51 PM
Universal Truth remains a contradiction because the qualifier Universal removes all meaningful context, and Truth only dwells within Context. Blah, blah, blah, something about Semantics being Anime-mask wearing testicle rape demons and fnords being used against us,

or

:horrormirth:

Well, sort of proving my point, Protagoras found that a universal truth is imposible because meaning is asigned by the mind and does not exist meaningfuly outside of that, so is subjective.
Old greek argument, and dispite being right, plato "disproved" him, with "logic".

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Felix on March 03, 2009, 08:08:05 AM
OP:  So basically you just want to do whatever and not worry about whether it's right or wrong.

That's good to know.
Of course you can do whatever the hell you want.  But you better damn be ready to deal with the consequences.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

zen_magick

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on March 03, 2009, 10:54:39 PM
OP:  So basically you just want to do whatever and not worry about whether it's right or wrong.

That's good to know.
Of course you can do whatever the hell you want.  But you better damn be ready to deal with the consequences.

It reminds me of the old saying, "Everything's legal until you get caught!"
Blow my Mind or Blow Me!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

That's good to know.

Rational Anarchism ITT
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jasper

Quote from: Ratatosk on March 05, 2009, 06:44:08 PM

That's good to know.

Rational Anarchism ITT

I would call it  "Rogue Ethicism", personally.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Felix on March 05, 2009, 06:47:58 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on March 05, 2009, 06:44:08 PM

That's good to know.

Rational Anarchism ITT

I would call it  "Rogue Ethicism", personally.

Quote from: Prof La Paz"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free, because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything that I do."

Jasper

It's the only reasonable way to live.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Tempest Virago

Personally, I'm generally hopelessly altruistic and have a hard time comprehending any other way to be. I guess I just don't see the point of purposely being an asshole to people. I mean, unless they deserve it, of course. This is probably because I like the majority of people I meet, and tend to assume people have good hearts until they prove otherwise.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Tempest Virago on March 05, 2009, 09:05:09 PM
Personally, I'm generally hopelessly altruistic and have a hard time comprehending any other way to be. I guess I just don't see the point of purposely being an asshole to people. I mean, unless they deserve it, of course. This is probably because I like the majority of people I meet, and tend to assume people have good hearts until they prove otherwise.

Even if a person is completely self centered; generally behaving like an asshole is stupid.

Unless the individual is a hermit, they must spend the rest of their lives surrounded by people. If those people are not very happy, it is unlikely that the individual will be very happy. Consider the poor French royals in the 1700's... they were selfish and self-centered and eventually headless, because they incorrectly perceived what was 'best' for themselves. (PROTIP: If you run a country, what is best for you is a HAPPY POPULACE)

People today who have a nice new home and enough money to pay their mortgage, are another example. They could be self-centered and STUPID and say "No Bailouts for those LOSER homeowners". However, if they are smart and selfish, they will say "HOLY FUCK, PLEASE BAIL OUT MY NEIGHBORS, SO MY HOUSE WON'T BE WORTHLESS!!!"

Selfish isn't necessarily the problem... Stupid and selfish is ;-)

Tempest Virago

Quote from: Ratatosk on March 05, 2009, 09:17:39 PM
Even if a person is completely self centered; generally behaving like an asshole is stupid.

Unless the individual is a hermit, they must spend the rest of their lives surrounded by people. If those people are not very happy, it is unlikely that the individual will be very happy. Consider the poor French royals in the 1700's... they were selfish and self-centered and eventually headless, because they incorrectly perceived what was 'best' for themselves. (PROTIP: If you run a country, what is best for you is a HAPPY POPULACE)

People today who have a nice new home and enough money to pay their mortgage, are another example. They could be self-centered and STUPID and say "No Bailouts for those LOSER homeowners". However, if they are smart and selfish, they will say "HOLY FUCK, PLEASE BAIL OUT MY NEIGHBORS, SO MY HOUSE WON'T BE WORTHLESS!!!"

Selfish isn't necessarily the problem... Stupid and selfish is ;-)

This is an excellent point. I know a fair amount of people who not only completely lack social skills, but seem to do it on purpose, intentionally antagonizing people, acting loud and rude for no reason, etc. then act surprised when nobody wants to be around them or help them out. On the other hand, I know people who consider themselves misanthropes but are usually polite except when they see a good reason not to be, and they are much more likely to have people be polite back to them/get assistance when they ask for it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on March 05, 2009, 09:17:39 PM

Heh.  I have made a career out of being an asshole, and I am doing just fine.

Stupid is as stupid does. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

What rat should have said was "generally behaving like an unfunny asshole is stupid."
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on March 06, 2009, 03:22:14 AM
What rat should have said was "generally behaving like an unfunny asshole is stupid."

Okay.

At work, I'm all like  :argh!:

and then my crew is like  :lulz:

Every day at 11:30 is rant time in the welding shack.  They talk politics, I get all riled up, blow my stack completely and puke out some sick shit, then they start arguing whether I should be killed by blowtorch or not.

They have VERY high standards when it comes to venting.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.