Want to have a crack at this? (Answer outsourcing thread)

Started by Cain, March 05, 2009, 01:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

:mittens:

TGRR,
Loving the thread where Honey explains absolutely everything there is worth knowing about anything.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Honey

yeah I did go off on a few (million) tangents, thanks for reading tho.
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Honey on March 07, 2009, 05:10:00 PM
yeah I did go off on a few (million) tangents, thanks for reading tho.

Hush.  That was amazing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Honey on March 07, 2009, 03:32:23 PM

As people get older they often become more rigid, less likely to change their minds.  Why?  Lots of reasons, I suppose.  When we are young, the line between what is "real" & what is "fantasy" is often blurred but it doesn't seem to irk as much.  The mind is still flexible, able to contain certain ideas or notions along with opposing viewpoints.  People in general seem to be inherently more or less literal in their interpretations & that comes into play as well, I think.  Children are able to go back & forth with these games without being very troubled about the inconsistencies.  Like the young of any species who play around with each other & with these games & thereby learn.

Children, as they mature, seem to be an amalgamation of all these games they play, roles & games they're taught & ones they pick up by & by.  Certain cultures seem to encourage this sort of game or role-playing, fostering creative & critical thinking, other cultures seem to discourage.  However, in all cultures & at some point, it appears that children are expected to stop having wonder about some things.  This wonder-stop seems to come along right around the time they are encouraged to find their very own niche in the system.  Well, & you can go on wondering & wandering, but for heaven's sake, don't talk & don't tell!  You'll get squashed.  & not by those who will even take the time to consider your views but by those who don't want their own Systems of Belief shook up too much.

I really think the same thing when thinking about childhood curiosity - but I think wonder works well too.
wow, That was really good Honey
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Tempest Virago

Quote from: Honey on March 07, 2009, 03:32:23 PM
We mistake the game for actuality. 

There are, in fact, very few acknowledged hard & fast rules when it comes to our existence.  Systems of belief & uncertainty.  Maybe we've become a wee bit better at asking the questions is all? 

When we are young children, it's less likely to mistake the game for actuality because it all seems like a game.  Life seems to be all about curiosity & the desire to know more, about ourselves, this place we call home, other people, what our minds & bodies can do, language, arts & sciences, all of these games we can play & we do.  Children seem to have this uncanny ability to change their minds almost continually.  New information comes in all forms, thru other people, studies, observations, experimentation, stories, myths, the culture we are raised within, learning tips & shortcuts, how to use tools & resources, et cetera.  We take all these little pieces of the great cosmic puzzle & put them together & take them apart, again & again & again.  We put one together & find pieces left over & start another one, & so on. 

As people get older they often become more rigid, less likely to change their minds.  Why?  Lots of reasons, I suppose.  When we are young, the line between what is "real" & what is "fantasy" is often blurred but it doesn't seem to irk as much.  The mind is still flexible, able to contain certain ideas or notions along with opposing viewpoints.  People in general seem to be inherently more or less literal in their interpretations & that comes into play as well, I think.  Children are able to go back & forth with these games without being very troubled about the inconsistencies.  Like the young of any species who play around with each other & with these games & thereby learn.

Children, as they mature, seem to be an amalgamation of all these games they play, roles & games they're taught & ones they pick up by & by.  Certain cultures seem to encourage this sort of game or role-playing, fostering creative & critical thinking, other cultures seem to discourage.  However, in all cultures & at some point, it appears that children are expected to stop having wonder about some things.  This wonder-stop seems to come along right around the time they are encouraged to find their very own niche in the system.  Well, & you can go on wondering & wandering, but for heaven's sake, don't talk & don't tell!  You'll get squashed.  & not by those who will even take the time to consider your views but by those who don't want their own Systems of Belief shook up too much.

Many of our educational systems seem to be centered on teaching WHAT to think rather than HOW to think.  Granted, a base of knowledge is required & teaching critical & creative thinking skills is not as easy perhaps.  Certainly not impossible tho if that's what you are trying to do.  Memorization of facts might be necessary but the abstraction of thoughts leads to new, sometimes improved (& sometimes disturbing to the status quo) ideas.

Throughout history we've been able to extend our natural lifespans but still these Systems of Belief outlive any of even the oldest human beings alive.  We have longer gestation/maturation periods than most other forms of life.  This, perhaps, is one of the reasons we are able to adapt to our environments?  In order to survive as a species, we need to care for our young.  The fact we are required to care for our young for longer spans of time comes into play as well, I think.  We have this ability to adapt & I grapple with what that even means?  The ability to adapt may increase our ability to survive but at what cost?  I honestly don't know.  How would I know?   

I guess what I am trying to say here (longwinded too, like thinking out loud) is that much of what was expressed here itt got me to thinking about these things.  The way my mind seems to work is that moving forward, much is left behind as new stuff takes its place.  "You can't go home again."  Systems of belief can be like games.  They may help you to understand how things work but you have to leave them behind at some point, especially if they're no fun anymore or aren't working.  & the rules of these games are pretty much imaginary or self-imposed or anyhow somehow enforced.  Half the fun is gone when you figure out what the rules are. 

So many games, so little time.

I agree with pretty much every sentence of this, and have tried to say similar things before with much, much less eloquence.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

The Secret lists three five required steps — "privilege, ask, believe, receive, beat" — as the essence of the Law of Attraction:
   1. Live in a developed country.
   2. Know what you want and ask the universe for it.
   3. Feel and behave as if the object of your desire is on its way.
   4. Be open to receiving it.
   5. Kick a bum for not knowing what he wants well enough.

Fixed.

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Idiot

No, India is expensive when compared to Bangladesh.