News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

Plus, I Got Religion

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 08, 2009, 01:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Honey

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on March 15, 2009, 04:40:10 PM
But there still is a big difference between sacred communities and dogmatic ones.  If you think of it PD.com is kind of a sacred community. We are a community who try to make sense, or just react to what we see around us, but there is no dogmatic unifying idea that holds everyone of us together.

YES!  To the whole but just quoting that 1 part!  It's the dogma that bogs us down I think.  I don't think the worlds of religious thought & the worlds of scientific thought are mutually exclusive.  The dogma & literal thinking get in the way.  Also, if asked to choose, seems to me, the scientific world views are more open to considering the religious world views than visa versa. 

This planet is teeming with all kinds of life.  Seems like it would be intuitive to accept there is diversity of life?  You don't have to wander too far to observe this.  On some level, it seems as if people somehow don't want to consider & find beauty in the variety?  Or is it because there seems to be some sort of root cause in this belief, like there is not enough of whatever? to go around?  Or because people just want to be "right" about things?  I dunno. 

(also completely off-topic but I know this is one of the areas of your expertise.  Can you point me to something good to read on the topic of Continental Drift?)
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Thurnez Isa

Visualizing geology by National Geographic - which is more like a textbook so it encompassing a lot of geology, never really going in depth in any of them. But has lots of pretty pictures

Supercontinent by Ted Neil - which is not a science book per say, but a real fun book to read and he goes through the creation of the earth to projected return of Pangaea in 250 million years

I actually could get more which aren't coming to mind from one of my profs when I see him tomorrow
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on March 15, 2009, 06:02:28 PM
Visualizing geology by National Geographic - which is more like a textbook so it encompassing a lot of geology, never really going in depth in any of them. But has lots of pretty pictures

Supercontinent by Ted Neil - which is not a science book per say, but a real fun book to read and he goes through the creation of the earth to projected return of Pangaea in 250 million years

FUCK!  You mean I have to live CLOSER to people?   :argh!:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Honey

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 15, 2009, 06:03:18 PM
Quote from: Thurnez Isa on March 15, 2009, 06:02:28 PM

FUCK!  You mean I have to live CLOSER to people?   :argh!:

Hey thanks!  I didn't know about the projected return thingie.  Wo Ho that's gonna be FUN!  Good Lord ya think it's fun now?  Just wait until ...    :) :sad:
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Soylent Green

Quote from: Cainad on March 15, 2009, 01:55:18 PM
Quote from: Skieth on March 14, 2009, 05:42:44 PM
Quote from: LMNO on March 13, 2009, 12:43:38 PM
Kevin: "The 2, naturally, already contains the Hidden One, so when it is written '2+2=4', what the formulation actually means is '1+1=4'.  Which, as you can clearly see, means '(1(+1))+(1(+1)) = 4(+1)'.  But these are complex theological discussions which you shouldn't concern yourself with."

Fuck it, I'm gonna become a numerologist and make some money.

I've never understood this "2+2 can =5" stuff.

If you put two apples on a table, then put two more, you don't magically get another apple.

Going back to the beginning of this minor trainwreck (which has been very amusing to watch, btw)

You did realize that LMNO was being satirical, right? And you were going along with it by pretending not to realize that, right?

Of course I did.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Skieth on March 15, 2009, 06:14:57 PM
Kevin: "The 2, naturally, already contains the Hidden One, so when it is written '2+2=4', what the formulation actually means is '1+1=4'.  Which, as you can clearly see, means '(1(+1))+(1(+1)) = 4(+1)'.  But these are complex theological discussions which you shouldn't concern yourself with."

If you put two apples on a table, then put two more, you don't magically get another apple.

Going back to the beginning of this minor trainwreck (which has been very amusing to watch, btw)

You did realize that LMNO was being satirical, right? And you were going along with it by pretending not to realize that, right?

Of course I did.

Of course.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 15, 2009, 06:24:32 PM
Quote from: Skieth on March 15, 2009, 06:14:57 PM

Of course I did.

Of course.

Never doubted it.

LMNO

So, watch this:

If I divide two apples into six segments, I can then recombine them into three new apples.

Therefore, 12/2 = 3.

QED.

WHERE'S YOUR LOGIC NOW, MOTHERFUCKER!?

Cain

LMNO

bds

Torodung

Quote from: Skieth on March 14, 2009, 07:39:51 PM
Quote from: Urraco el Faus aus Mí Luàn on March 14, 2009, 06:40:56 PM
Quote from: Skieth on March 14, 2009, 06:30:49 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 14, 2009, 06:13:30 PM
Quote from: Skieth on March 14, 2009, 05:53:27 PM
Quote from: Urraco el Faus aus Mí Luàn on March 14, 2009, 05:45:31 PM

It's because numbers arn't real; however, the apples are. They work by different rules.

I hold up two fingers, then I hold two more up. I don't magically get another finger.

Fingers are real too. Same as apples. Take a math class.

They work the same way, otherwise you couldn't have word-problems in math and math couldn't be applied to anything in the real world. And you wouldn't be able to say "I have two apples" because to get two you need to add 1 and 1 together.

And you wouldn't be able to say "I have two apples" because to get two you need to add 1 and 1 together.

... is this too hard for you?

What on earth are you talking about? I'm saying if math doesn't apply to the real world than that statement wouldn't be valid.

Keep up with the conversation here.

Math doesn't apply to the real world. That was just a prejudice of Newton.

The real world doesn't function that way, we can only closely model it.
The only choice you're given is how best to burn
BURN BRIGHTLY

Torodung

Quote from: LMNO wants to smother smokngoat with a pillow. on March 16, 2009, 01:32:15 PM
So, watch this:

If I divide two apples into six segments, I can then recombine them into three new apples.

Therefore, 12/2 = 3.

QED.

Um, chopped. Like your apple.
BURN BRIGHTLY

Torodung

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on March 13, 2009, 05:48:31 AM
1st of all if a model is useful or not has NOTHING to do with anything, and people get into science to know and understand how the natural world around them works.

QuoteSo do you get a chuckle when a scientist draws a conclusion based on their prejudices instead of including the many ways the data obtained could be interpreted?

That's why everything is rigorously peer reviewed. There is no authority that judges work. Your peers have to be able to replicate your methods and experiments. If they can't be replicated your ideas don't become part of the scientific literature except maybe just as ideas to discuss

Um. Congress is peer reviewed too, by whole groups of voters. You can see where that got us.

"Peer review" is only as good as the peerage.

There is something wrong with the scientific method, and what is wrong is US. When we stop realizing that, science fails.
BURN BRIGHTLY

Urraco

Quote from: Torodung on March 16, 2009, 04:39:55 PM
Quote from: LMNO wants to smother smokngoat with a pillow. on March 16, 2009, 01:32:15 PM
So, watch this:

Therefore, 12/2 = 3.

QED.

Um, chopped. Like your apple.

Lol, I tried it too.
Got nothin'.
Just a bunch of apple slices.
nom nom nom
Spørk, børk? Pørk!