News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

I had a GREAT idea for a book

Started by Cain, March 08, 2009, 12:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verbal Mike

Lots of good ideas here.
I like the GRRM approach very much and think it is worth shamelessly ripping off.

Another idea that comes to mind (riffing on the "magicians aren't all that on-top-of-things" concept) is that magic exists but only as a dangerous delusion... That is, there would be a class of delusional crazies whose delusions actually turn into reality... Some of them can control it, to a degree, but they're all crazy anyway, and should be put down like dogs. Of course, governments can find good use for them...and heroes can use them to justify unspeakable acts.

PS
Cainad, please not to be linking to TVTropes. It makes it impossible to continue reading thread. Thankyou.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Cain

OK, thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm thinking I'm going to go with it being, in 99% of cases, pure charlatanism or delusion, with the 1% of time it does work being either in the creation of magical weapons (which would in mechanical terms rate as how a weapon made of Damascus steel compares to one made of iron - maybe with a few other perks like not be notched or easily rusted or breakable by any lesser metals) or spirits deciding to intervene for their own purposes - perhaps bringing in the ideas that gods too like to play political games too - or spirits have their own mercenaries.

Triple Zero

Perhaps you can incorporate something like that chess-like game the Gods or Overseers in Discworld are playing, sometimes. Except, make them play poker, or something :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Maybe.  I might save that for other works though - if the setting is successful (defined as: interesting enough to keep me writing about it).  If they do play a prominent role though, no doubt they'd be playing some sort of game for influence and power.  One of the ideas behind this is things that are depoliticized in text usually have some creepy or fucked up implications when politicized, and so to do that as much as possible, to get people thinking and shake them out of some comfortable notions.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Chess is overused as a metaphorical board game. There are a number of games that would serve as well as chess in terms of strategy yet are neither cliche nor a direct subversion (avoid checkers and connect four, but pentago and risk are much better than candyland).

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Triple Zero

that's why I said poker. also the gods in discworld dont really play chess, but just something that has little figures moving on a board. could actually be Warhammer, for all I know :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Cain

Corvidia

I always rooted for the Green Eyed Lady.
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Template

Quote from: VERB` on June 05, 2009, 10:46:43 PM
Cainad, please not to be linking to TVTropes. It makes it impossible to continue reading thread. Thankyou.

TITCM.

Quote from: Enki-][ on June 09, 2009, 08:43:50 PM
Chess is overused as a metaphorical board game. There are a number of games that would serve as well as chess in terms of strategy yet are neither cliche nor a direct subversion (avoid checkers and connect four, but pentago and risk are much better than candyland).
Blackjack?

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: yhnmzw on June 10, 2009, 11:15:20 PM
Blackjack?

Calvinball.

Cait M. R.

Cain, I HIGHLY suggest reading the background to the White Wolf RPG Exalted (for the gods-as-political-assholes bit, and you'll probably LOVE the stuff about Sidereals) and playing the PS2 action-RPG Radiata Stories (for pretty much everything else, oh, and moral choices that you actually have to honestly -think- about).

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cainad on June 15, 2009, 10:17:31 PM
Quote from: yhnmzw on June 10, 2009, 11:15:20 PM
Blackjack?

Calvinball.

"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of the players, (i.e. everybody), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." Terry Pratchett
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Verbal Mike

I second the suggestion to read Exalted (2nd edition) sourcebooks, lots of really good stuff. It's the best all-round setting I've ever read, for books or games alike. (I'm running a Solar game set in Halta, going to turn political/grand-strategic soon. ^^)
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.