News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

Concerning The Immediate Future

Started by Cainad (dec.), March 09, 2009, 02:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

There is no 'solution.' This crisis will not be 'fixed.' A few of its symptoms will be alleviated, a little bit. Maybe. For some people.

An uncaring and uncontrolled juggernaut of changes will run its course across the fields of humanity, leaving ruin, death, poverty, and confusion in its wake. No, it is running its course as I write this. It cannot be stopped, slowed, or hastened to its destination. It will have its way with us before the survivors are left to build yet another empire from the rubble.

And we shall make up a story or two explaining why it all happened, what we did wrong, and how to avoid such things in the future. But it won't make a lick of difference because it's too late and we're fucking hopeless when it comes to finding out where the next juggernaut is coming from.

This is not the end of days, nor even the end of civilization. Do not be so optimistic. Humanity has prophesied its own demise a thousand times in the hopes that the next big catastrophic clusterfuck will be the last one we have to struggle through. The doomsayers are the hopeful ones; once humanity is destroyed or reduced to barbarism it won't have to live with memories of the disasters it can't believe it didn't see coming, and the torturous knowledge that it will happen again. And again, and again.

But humanity is big, dumb, and resilient. It cannot be destroyed, not even by its own hands. It shall lumber along as it always has, clumsily and nearly-blind, crawling and drooling its way into the future.

There will be another huge fucking disaster; a maelstrom of blood, anger, and misery. And when the dust settles we'll have lots and lots of dead people and still no answers.

It's what we do.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on March 09, 2009, 02:40:15 AM
There is no 'solution.' This crisis will not be 'fixed.' A few of its symptoms will be alleviated, a little bit. Maybe. For some people.

An uncaring and uncontrolled juggernaut of changes will run its course across the fields of humanity, leaving ruin, death, poverty, and confusion in its wake. No, it is running its course as I write this. It cannot be stopped, slowed, or hastened to its destination. It will have its way with us before the survivors are left to build yet another empire from the rubble.

And we shall make up a story or two explaining why it all happened, what we did wrong, and how to avoid such things in the future. But it won't make a lick of difference because it's too late and we're fucking hopeless when it comes to finding out where the next juggernaut is coming from.

This is not the end of days, nor even the end of civilization. Do not be so optimistic. Humanity has prophesied its own demise a thousand times in the hopes that the next big catastrophic clusterfuck will be the last one we have to struggle through. The doomsayers are the hopeful ones; once humanity is destroyed or reduced to barbarism it won't have to live with memories of the disasters it can't believe it didn't see coming, and the torturous knowledge that it will happen again. And again, and again.

But humanity is big, dumb, and resilient. It cannot be destroyed, not even by its own hands. It shall lumber along as it always has, clumsily and nearly-blind, crawling and drooling its way into the future.

There will be another huge fucking disaster; a maelstrom of blood, anger, and misery. And when the dust settles we'll have lots and lots of dead people and still no answers.

It's what we do.

Um...:lol:

EDIT:  Just saw your post in the other thread.  You've said it much, much better than I did. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cainad (dec.)

Oh right, forgot to mention :lulz: The last two lines are yoinked from a post made by TGRR, which pretty much inspired me to puke this whole thing out in roughly a half-hour.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on March 09, 2009, 02:48:01 AM
Oh right, forgot to mention :lulz: The last two lines are yoinked from a post made by TGRR, which pretty much inspired me to puke this whole thing out in roughly a half-hour.

No sweat.  You took an off hand comment and ran with it.  :mittens: to the result.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Idem

It's what we do.
:mittens:

Captain Utopia

It's what we do.

Prophet!

2011 just called - why didn't we listen!???!?!?!
:omg:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Juana

Yes m'am it is! I'm in absolute agreement with you, Cainad. We has the dumb, but we bounce back soon enough. :mittens:
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cainad (dec.)

Wow, blast from the past :lol:

Thanks guys. I've always been sorta proud of this one, not because it's my best, but because it's the sort of thing I can produce when I'm in top writing form.

Don Coyote

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cainad (dec.)

I think I also like this one because it marks a milestone in my thinking.

There was definitely some Divine Inspiration for this one (as evidenced by the fact that the closing line, swiped from TGRR, was the pebble that started the avalanche). I distinctly remember, as I furiously cranked out the words, seeing flashes of what I believe is the world that people like TGRR and Dok Howl see when they rant: The World As It Is, which, when you see it, is unmistakably different from The World As You Would Like It To Be.

Then your brain revolts and closes the shutters again, because looking too long into The World As It Is can be very unhealthy, for a given definition of "health".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on March 24, 2011, 09:34:47 PM
I think I also like this one because it marks a milestone in my thinking.

There was definitely some Divine Inspiration for this one (as evidenced by the fact that the closing line, swiped from TGRR, was the pebble that started the avalanche). I distinctly remember, as I furiously cranked out the words, seeing flashes of what I believe is the world that people like TGRR and Dok Howl see when they rant: The World As It Is, which, when you see it, is unmistakably different from The World As You Would Like It To Be.

Then your brain revolts and closes the shutters again, because looking too long into The World As It Is can be very unhealthy, for a given definition of "health".

NO, I'M FINE!  NOTHING WRONG WITH ME!  I CAN DO THIS SHIT FOR A LONG, LONG TIME!

Cainad (dec.)

:lulz:  My mind keeps drifting back to this one. Thanks for the bump.