News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

ITT we define god

Started by P3nT4gR4m, March 09, 2009, 07:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the last yatto

father, sun and holy shit what was that
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

LMNO

I don't believe there are sentient forces that can alter the rules of the physical world, and do so at the behest of humans.

I believe in the trancendental experience; the occasional mindset that can't ever be explained, and where art is born trying to describe it.

If I tried to describe it I'd get it wrong, so I won't. 

AFK

I don't believe in any kind of personified deity.  If there was one I think it would be closer to Eris then some jolly bearded fellow lounging on a Lazy-Cloud.  I think there's still quite a bit of "stuff" we don't understand.  And this "stuff" does "stuff" that we can't seem to always explain.  Thousands of years ago people thought the stars were like little chandeliers hanging from a dark ceiling.  Now we know better.  Or, we think we do.  Maybe someday we fly out and find out it's gigantic space sloths holding flashlights. 

Anyway, the closest thing I come to in terms of religious experiences is when I'm playing my music.  There are these energies that seem to only be able to be accessed through the maniacal strumming of a guitar.  But the access to that energy is fleeting and can't really be put down in words.  I don't think when I die I'll wake up before some gates with this beardo asking me if I should get in.  However, I'm preparing just in case.  I'm saving my A-game puns for Mr. St. Peter.   :wink:
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

Supposing for a second that there is an Eris entity
and we don't totally piss her off by misconceptualizing her
I bet she sends her minions to troll this board ALL THE TIME.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on March 10, 2009, 01:20:23 PM

That would seem self-evident, if you ask me...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

also I really like Roger's concept of God as a TOTAL MALEVOLENT DICK.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Tempest Virago

Quote from: Nigel on March 10, 2009, 06:02:51 PM

I like the Gnostics' idea of God, it's similar, except with the added bonus of him being completely insane. It explains a lot.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I agree... I even wrote a poem about it ;-)

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=12970.0
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I couldn't think much of that blog simply because the whole "Atheist pretending to be a Maltheist in order to mock religion" is so trite. I just can't get interested in insincere parody religions these days... they're very 1990's rebel hipsterish and don't go deep enough to hold my attention for long.

the last yatto

Quote from: LMNO on March 10, 2009, 12:45:07 PM
I don't believe there are sentient forces that can alter the rules of the physical world, and do so at the behest of humans.
besides breaking their own BIP, i dont see them having any uses for humans other then slaves.

I believe in the trancendental experience; the occasional mindset that can't ever be explained, and where art is born trying to describe it.
pictures worth a thousand words kinda thing?
problem, or maybe the most fun part, of symbols is they can often mean many things

could the complex reside in the larger outside world. cavemen drew pictures is where language was born wasn't it?
i assume everyone here has watched the movie 'the gods must be crazy'
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Golden Applesauce

This is less of a theistic perspective than a semantic one, but when I hear god I either think of something along the Greek conception of a god as a super-person, who may or may not be the only one or be actually omniscient/omnipotent as opposed to just being able to fuck with reality in more limited ways, or one of the many Abrahamic flavours where God is the being to which any given human is utterly worthless by comparison, and optionally defines a set of objective values either by existing or by having the magic ability to define right and wrong.  I'm an atheist with respect to the second kind, and alternate between atheism and suitheism with respect to the first.

Defining "God" to mean something else seems kind of weird to me, because (to me anyway) it implies all the sorts of things that go along with a more traditional Western concept of God.  Calling a state of mind "God" might provide a nice answer to "Do you believe in God?" but I don't get how you can build a theology out of it.  I question the usefulness of muddying up an already complicated word with even more definitions.  If you have a novel concept, use a novel word or phrase.  Language will thank you later.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Felix on March 10, 2009, 05:17:23 AM
God is force.

and four-part His holy name is EFF-EKWALLS-EMM-AY.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Tempest Virago on March 10, 2009, 06:04:31 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 10, 2009, 06:02:51 PM

I like the Gnostics' idea of God, it's similar, except with the added bonus of him being completely insane. It explains a lot.

That's not the Gnostic concept of God, thats the Gnostic concept of the crazy dick who took over/created the world and *pretends* to be God.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

OPTIMUS PINECONE

That's why I'm here, when I'm not doing work for the White Devil Conspiracy.
"Sincere thought, real free thought, ready, in the name of superhuman authority or of humble common sense, to question the basis of what is officially taught and generally accepted, is less and less likely to thrive. It is, we repeat, by far easier to enslave a literate people than an illiterate one, strange as this may seem at first sight. And the enslavement is more likely to be lasting."   -Savitri Devi

"Great men of action... never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job, and at times they all are"   -Oswald Mosley