News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

don quixote

Started by Slarti, May 14, 2004, 09:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slarti

a true discordian saint. i have not read the book, but the movie i saw (w/ john lithgow) was really good. the end was a classic example of order triumphing over disorder, evil over good, when quixote was convinced that he was not a knight. i almost cried.

Den Sorte Dragen

I thought the story to be very tragic somehow. All that idealism and strength, all just for nothing, while rotting away in medieval armor while going senile. You just feel sorry for the man from La Mancha.

btw wich movie adaption did you see? the musical with peter o´toole or the television-serie with john lithgow?
negative....negative.....negative................;type O negative................negative............;negative

Slarti

Quote from: Slartibartfastbut the movie i saw (w/ john lithgow)

MedeoPlusPlus

Don Quixote rules!

Did you know that Miguel Cervantes (the author of Don Quixote) died on the same date as William Shakespeare (April 23 (!), 1616)?

Not the same exact day, mind, since Spain at that time used the Gregorian calendar while England used the Julian- but according to their respective calendars, it was the same date.
1. e4             e5
2. Bc4           Bc5
3. Qf3           Ne7
4. Qxf7++

Den Sorte Dragen

Quote from: Slartibartfast
Quote from: Slartibartfastbut the movie i saw (w/ john lithgow)

sorry (think my eyes are getting bad)
negative....negative.....negative................;type O negative................negative............;negative

Slarti

john lithgow did an incredible acting job in that movie.

illusion

Great book.
And the movie also rocks. So did the musical version. I think this story is more bittersweet than sad because the don rides out for a glorious adventure before he dies. So much better to go out following a dream than to fade away.

MaxwellsDemon

Discordian saint through and through.....
Slarti your random attention creator is in double fine overdrive... knock down any windmills.

Anyone seen 'Lost in La Mancha' documentary about Terry Gilliams doomed attempt at adapting it (man it wouldve been sooo good)

"The need for mystry is greater than the need for an answer"
Ken Kesey

illusion

I never heard of that documentary.
Guess I should go look for it....it sounds worth watching.

Den Sorte Dragen

Quote from: illusionGreat book.
And the movie also rocks. So did the musical version. I think this story is more bittersweet than sad because the don rides out for a glorious adventure before he dies. So much better to go out following a dream than to fade away.

I guess you´re right, going off with a bang is better than just have the lights going out.

Slarti

QuoteSlarti your random attention creator is in double fine overdrive...

you referring to the fact that i keep making threads? yea, i guess did.

MedeoPlusPlus

Quote from: Slartibartfast
QuoteSlarti your random attention creator is in double fine overdrive...

you referring to the fact that i keep making threads? yea, i guess did.

It's alright, though... most of the threads we create on this site would be deleted post-haste by the Mods on any other forum on the net. So it's good that we exercise our Right to Randomness here.
1. e4             e5
2. Bc4           Bc5
3. Qf3           Ne7
4. Qxf7++

Name (the one and only)

Lost in la Mancha is brilliant - it has the same feeling at the end that the book does. I think that much of the book is happy - he manages to live a little before he dies, but he dies repenting the fact he ever lived. Alas.