News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Financial fuckery thread

Started by Cain, March 12, 2009, 09:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

...apparently the monkey cages are finally rattling.  Several news agencies are reporting that people are calling in and faxing/emailing constantly telling Congress to suck it up and compromise.  80% "fuck you" factor going on in the polling, with only 9% (according to PBS) blaming the Democrats.

Yolk's on you, GOP.  

And yet still, Boehner's (who from here on out is now "Boner" to me) approval amongst his own party went up.  Apparently, his posturing is WORKing on his own TeaBaggered portion of his party.  They now clap him on the back and have effectively stopped the whisper campaign that he's a shill for the White House.

The Orange BonerTM has gotten some street cred by shoving a stick up the economy's ass and refusing to take it out when America squeals in protest.

Good one, USandA!

Cain

GOP have been out of touch with mainstream public opinion for years.

Maybe the media will suck it up and recognize it, at last.

Jenne

...I WANT to believe they will.  I also want to believe that there's additional egg on Fux News's face as one of the many portions of the Murdoch News Empire that controls lamestream media in the US...which might have an effect at least on the more moderate section of the population (what's left of them, anyway).

But there are a lot of things that I want to believe that just aren't that good for me, anyway.

BabylonHoruv

I watched the speeches on Fox and they did not sound particularly sympathetic to Boehner.  Kind of surprised me actually.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Jenne

Well, here's the thing--his is a SHORT-TERM plan with REVENUE INCREASES.

The TWO things the TeaBaggers and their freshman congressional idiocracy are dead-set against!

And Reid's plan is the opposite--cuts funding to programs that are Democratic sacred cows, but has no revenue increases.

Add to this the fact that the freshman fuckeroos want a fucking goddamned constitutional amendment or THEY WON'T VOTE NUH-UH, YOU CAN'T MAKE THEM!

Yeah...so guess which SIDE of this Fux News is on?

Cain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14328183

QuoteA Republican bill to raise the US debt ceiling, cut spending and avert default on US debt is set for back-to-back votes in the House and Senate.

But House Speaker John Boehner's bill faces a conservative revolt, unanimous opposition by Senate Democrats and a White House veto threat.

Ahead of the votes, Republicans challenged Democrats to back the bill or take political blame for default.

Congress must raise the US debt limit by a deadline of next Tuesday.
'Untenable situation'

The US Treasury has warned the government will run out of money to pay all its bills unless a $14.3tn (£8.7tn) borrowing limit is increased by next Tuesday.

A vote on Mr Boehner's bill was tentatively scheduled for 17:45 local time (21:45 GMT). Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said he would hold a vote in the Senate as soon as the House voted.

He predicted it would fail to pass the Senate, where Democrats and independents voting together hold 53 of 100 votes.

Republicans hold 240 of the 433 votes to be cast in the House, and need 217 of their members to back the bill to pass it.

Mr Boehner and his lieutenants have been whipping restive members of the House rank and file - including some who oppose lifting the debt limit under any circumstances - to support the plan.

Mr Boehner's plan would trim $917bn from the US budget deficit over 10 years and raise the debt limit by up to $900bn.

President Barack Obama supports another plan by top Senate Democrat Harry Reid, which would cut $2.2tn from deficits, and raise the debt ceiling by $2.7tn.

But that is thought unlikely in its current form to pass the Republican-controlled House.

The Boehner and Reid plans overlap in key ways - trimming spending over 10 years, shunning President Obama's call for tax increases on the wealthy and creating special lawmaker committees to craft future cuts.

But Mr Boehner's approach would force another debt-limit showdown during next year's presidential campaign, something Mr Obama has fiercely opposed.

Just in case anyone had the mistaken thought Boehner had the good of the nation at heart, read the final line.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Juana

And oh, my congressman is siding with Boehner. Of fucking course.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Luna

Quote from: Hover Cat on July 29, 2011, 12:04:06 AM
And oh, my congressman is siding with Boehner. Of fucking course.

Write him a nice letter.  Explain that the fuckery does NOT amuse you, and you will be casting your vote in the next election accordingly... and if he keeps up with the fuckery, you will get off your ass and actively campaign AGAINST him.

Just came across this link, by the way:

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/06/27/eric_cantor_conflict_of_interest

QuoteWhen Eric Cantor shut down debt ceiling negotiations last week, it did more than just rekindle fears that the U.S. government might soon default on its debt obligations -- it also brought him closer to reaping a small financial windfall from his investment in a mutual fund whose performance is directly affected by debt ceiling brinkmanship.

Last year the Wall Street Journal reported that Cantor, the No. 2 Republican in the House, had between $1,000 and $15,000 invested in ProShares Trust Ultrashort 20+ Year Treasury EFT. The fund aggressively "shorts" long-term U.S. Treasury bonds, meaning that it performs well when U.S. debt is undesirable.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Juana

I intend to and I'll be overnighting that sucker bright and early tomorrow.

Juana

Cain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14328183

QuoteA vote on a Republican bill to raise the US debt ceiling, cut spending and avert default has been delayed in the face of conservative resistance.

House Speaker John Boehner and Republican leaders were struggling on Thursday to convince rank and file lawmakers to vote for his bill.

The plan, however, is almost certain to fail in the Democratic-led Senate, and the White House has warned of a veto.

Congress must raise the US debt limit by a deadline of next Tuesday.

The US Treasury has warned the government will run out of money to pay all its bills unless a $14.3tn (£8.7tn) borrowing limit is increased by next Tuesday.
'Untenable situation'

A vote on Mr Boehner's bill was postponed for a few hours late on Thursday, as Mr Boehner and his lieutenants endeavoured to win support among rank and file conservative Republicans.

But eventually Republican Representative Kevin McCarthy announced that there would be no vote on Thursday evening.

Some Republicans - including Tea Party supporters who won House seats in 2010 and oppose raising the debt limit under any circumstance - feel the bill did not cut enough from the US budget.

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid predicted that even if the bill passes in the House, it will fail to pass the Senate, where Democrats and independents voting together hold 53 of 100 votes.

Republicans hold 240 of the 433 votes to be cast in the House, and need 216 of their members - plus Speaker Boehner in the event of a tie - to back the bill to pass it.

Meanwhile, International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde warned that if the debt ceiling was not increased there could be an impact on the US dollar.

"One of the consequences could be a decline of the dollar as a reserve currency and a dent in people's confidence in the dollar," she said.

Faust

I assume no one is going to be working on this at the weekend, so that basically leaves Monday to make the deal...
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

I think they are, surprisingly enough.  BBC seemed to imply it, anyway.  Still, 4 days....it don't look good.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2011, 10:38:24 AM
I think they are, surprisingly enough.  BBC seemed to imply it, anyway.  Still, 4 days....it don't look good.

I'm shocked, politicians putting work before their weekend?

Our economy isn't all that far from what greece's was and our government doesn't convene again until after the summer holidays (I think we are the only country that the government do this in).
Sleepless nights at the chateau