News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

Financial fuckery thread

Started by Cain, March 12, 2009, 09:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Disco Pickle on September 26, 2011, 06:29:45 PM
...but half of the Fed board has voted against the "0% interest rates until 2013" pledge, which signals to me that the hawks are turning against monetizing our way out of this thing...

what are the alternatives that they are considering?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Iptuous on September 26, 2011, 06:01:09 PM
DP, do you have a buy level set for Ag/Au?  i hadn't considered buying in a couple years, but this is tempting...
(if there is any to be had without premiums covering the drop in spot!  have to see what the local stores are selling at.)

Why don't you just buy casting grain from Monsterslayer or Rio Grande?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Iptuous on September 26, 2011, 06:41:10 PM
Quote from: Disco Pickle on September 26, 2011, 06:29:45 PM
...but half of the Fed board has voted against the "0% interest rates until 2013" pledge, which signals to me that the hawks are turning against monetizing our way out of this thing...

what are the alternatives that they are considering?

I can't be sure about that, but what other alternatives are there?  We couldn't monetize our way out of the 70's recession and actually made things worse with stagflation.  Those rates weren't anywhere as low as they are now.  If they keep it up for another few years we'll be right back where we were then.

I just got a raise, and I'm planning on asking for another $6/hr in 6 months, as a performance pay/cost of living increase.  I expect to get it.  If I'm thinking that way, others with jobs are as well.  It helps foster a similar environment that existed then: high unemployment, with existing job holders demanding higher wages to help offset inflation.  

They can say what they want about inflation being "on target," it's fucking with my food and energy budget.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Elder Iptuous

Nigel, it appears i could still buy Ag cheaper by going with 90% coinage, which i would prefer.

DP, I don't know if they will temper their monetization from fears of inflation.  the people in charge of that decision aren't as effected by it, no? I've been under the impression that global monetization looks baked in the cake...

ETA: Thanks for the links, Nigel!  will keep them on file.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Iptuous on September 26, 2011, 07:03:28 PM
Nigel, it appears i could still buy Ag cheaper by going with 90% coinage, which i would prefer.

DP, I don't know if they will temper their monetization from fears of inflation.  the people in charge of that decision aren't as effected by it, no? I've been under the impression that global monetization looks baked in the cake...

ETA: Thanks for the links, Nigel!  will keep them on file.

How much cheaper, and where? Because Rio and MS sell at spot price as of the minute you complete your order. If you're looking as casting grain prices on the website, you're looking at approximate prices as of the last update. If you're ordering a milled product, of course, it's something like spot + 10%.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Elder Iptuous

ah...  they just had prices from an bit ago before they continued plummeting, then.  :lol:
they always sell .999 at spot? (for large orders)  that's awesome.  i may make use of them if the premiums on recognizable stuff is too rich.
accumulating as long term insurance it would be fine to have shot.  for quick liquidability, something like junk silver is worth a bit more, to me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I personally think stockpiling silver as an investment is quite foolish, but it's better than stockpiling cash.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on September 26, 2011, 07:46:48 PM
I personally think stockpiling silver as an investment is quite foolish, but it's better than stockpiling cash.

Bullets are a better investment.  Everyone likes bullets.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

i've put about equal amounts into both, i'm guessing.
bullets haven't gone up as much in nominal terms, but when the event occurs, they will be much more valuable, i think.
hm...
i could load up some shot shells with silver dimes, and get the best of both worlds!  and i'm protected against lycanthropes, misanthropes, and runaway inflation!

Telarus

Quote from: Iptuous on September 27, 2011, 02:16:15 AM
i've put about equal amounts into both, i'm guessing.
bullets haven't gone up as much in nominal terms, but when the event occurs, they will be much more valuable, i think.
hm...
i could load up some shot shells with silver dimes, and get the best of both worlds!  and i'm protected against lycanthropes, misanthropes, and runaway inflation!

:lol:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15057859

QuoteEuropean bank shares have risen as investors react to the latest attempts to stabilise the eurozone debt crisis.

A number of measures are being discussed according to reports from the weekend's international meeting in Washington.

They are expected to involve a 50% write-down of Greece's massive government debt, the BBC's business editor Robert Peston says.

French and German bank shares were up 10% at one stage in Monday trading.

European governments hope to have measures agreed in five to six weeks, in time for a meeting of the leaders of the G20 group in Cannes at the beginning of November.

But EU officials in Brussels stress that they should not be seen as "a single grand plan", the BBC's correspondent Chris Morris says.

Quotethe BBC's correspondent Chris Morris says.

QuoteChris Morris

This explains oh so very much.  We are living in a real life version of Brass Eye.

hirley0

Quote from: Nigel on September 26, 2011, 07:27:53 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on September 26, 2011, 07:03:28 PM

ETA: Thanks for the links, Nigel!  will keep them on file.

How much cheaper, and where? Because Rio and MS sell at spot price as of the minute you complete your order. If you're looking as casting grain prices on the website, you're looking at approximate prices as of the last update. If you're ordering a milled product, of course, it's something like spot + 10%.
T27 u MIGHT TRY 310 SW Wasington Link Later Maybe:

Same Board Game as these Tigard #'$ "DOWNTOWN' Silver    $32.64    $32.74      up      1.89
um MAYBE the address is 340 {i forget) on the South Side of the Street though

hirley0

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/quick/index.html?SAP=TN
2:55am the address was 304 Washington {My 4get 'EM . Today at 02:55:22 AM
3:21 bid

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on September 27, 2011, 07:59:31 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15057859

QuoteEuropean bank shares have risen as investors react to the latest attempts to stabilise the eurozone debt crisis.

A number of measures are being discussed according to reports from the weekend's international meeting in Washington.

They are expected to involve a 50% write-down of Greece's massive government debt, the BBC's business editor Robert Peston says.

French and German bank shares were up 10% at one stage in Monday trading.

European governments hope to have measures agreed in five to six weeks, in time for a meeting of the leaders of the G20 group in Cannes at the beginning of November.

But EU officials in Brussels stress that they should not be seen as "a single grand plan", the BBC's correspondent Chris Morris says.

Quotethe BBC's correspondent Chris Morris says.

QuoteChris Morris

This explains oh so very much.  We are living in a real life version of Brass Eye.

This explains EVERYTHING !!! :lulz:

Right up to the graphs and statistics!

did you know a banker actually shares 95% of its DNA with the Sea Crab ?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.