News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Financial fuckery thread

Started by Cain, March 12, 2009, 09:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on February 25, 2013, 04:18:49 PM
The problem with alternative currencies is that at the end of the day, it's still just a virtual representation of goods or services. Exchanging one for the other has no benefit that I can think of.

DING DING DING.  Nothing changes.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

The problem with alternative currencies is that at the end of the day, it's still just a virtual representation of goods or services. Exchanging one for the other has no benefit that I can think of.

You know what? Now that I think about it like that, I'm inclined to agree. I think this may have been hangover thinking from idiot youth.

Thanks Nigel/Reptoid Overlord, I forgot to THINK and SHUT UP.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on February 25, 2013, 04:30:58 PM

You know what? Now that I think about it like that, I'm inclined to agree. I think this may have been hangover thinking from idiot youth.

Thanks Nigel/Reptoid Overlord, I forgot to THINK and SHUT UP.

I wouldn't worry about it.  Most of the world forgets to THINK and they ALL - even me - forget to SHUT UP.  I mean, I try to SHUT UP, but everything backs up like a bad drain and I get "swimmers" in my eyes, and then it's a bad day on Drachmann Street.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Junkenstein

Appreciated.

I think part of the infatuation was borne from an idea of "alternative currencies creating alternative economies". The problem is I've not really thought any further on this than when I was about 15 so I'm inclined to file it under "Bullshit"

If anyone can give an example of alternative currencies "working" I'd look at it with fresh eyes and see just how stupid 15 year old me was.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Junkenstein on February 25, 2013, 04:38:46 PM
Appreciated.

I think part of the infatuation was borne from an idea of "alternative currencies creating alternative economies". The problem is I've not really thought any further on this than when I was about 15 so I'm inclined to file it under "Bullshit"

If anyone can give an example of alternative currencies "working" I'd look at it with fresh eyes and see just how stupid 15 year old me was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%B6rgl#The_W.C3.B6rgl_Experiment

does this example of a demuraged currency count?  (theres better descriptions/history of it elsewhere online that i had read. it was pretty interesting)

Pergamos

It takes control of the printing press away from the government.

Pergamos

Quote from: Junkenstein on February 25, 2013, 04:38:46 PM
Appreciated.

Bitcoins work, if by work you mean "make it much simpler to buy drugs on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on February 26, 2013, 12:19:02 AM

And gives it to WHOM?

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 26, 2013, 01:55:25 AM

And gives it to WHOM?

Anarcho-syndalistic punks who want to smoke pot with the Libertarians on the Moonbase. DUH

Pergamos

And gives it to WHOM?

Depends on the currency.  From what I understand about Bitcoin it gives out new money in a random lottery.  For stuff like Ithaca Hours it gives the printing press to a local organization.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on February 26, 2013, 01:57:36 AM

And gives it to WHOM?

Depends on the currency.  From what I understand about Bitcoin it gives out new money in a random lottery.  For stuff like Ithaca Hours it gives the printing press to a local organization.

Oh, that's fucking BRILLIANT.  Tucson yahoos in charge of printing money.  Seguin, Texas po'buckers running printing presses.  That's Goddamn GENIUS.  WAY better than a currency that's somewhat stable.

Let's do this shit TODAY.

deadfong

They tried something like the Ithaca Hours in Lawrence KS about ten or so years ago; I cannot remember what it was called.  I think the argument for it, aside from being a "hip" kind of thing to do, was to keep more money in the local economy.  It failed miserably, as I recall.

I do wish I had one of the three-dollar bills - it had William Burroughs on it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: deadfong on February 26, 2013, 02:48:52 AM
They tried something like the Ithaca Hours in Lawrence KS about ten or so years ago; I cannot remember what it was called.  I think the argument for it, aside from being a "hip" kind of thing to do, was to keep more money in the local economy.  It failed miserably, as I recall.

I do wish I had one of the three-dollar bills - it had William Burroughs on it.

Jesus, I wish I had one.

And I wish I could laugh in the face of the hipster that tried that shit.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I googled Ithaca Hours.

QuoteThe local currency in Ithaca, N.Y., is called "Ithaca Hours." They are bought with U.S. dollars and can be traded with local shops for products or services.

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh wow I really reallly want you to follow that line of thinking to its logical conclusion.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."