News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Death for art is sick

Started by Saint Syko the confused, March 14, 2009, 04:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

fitty posts!  :lol: alright, I'll give it a go

Quote from: potato on March 17, 2009, 05:57:02 PM
even though your reply seems to have nothing to do with my post,

he's saying that fraud is a means by which art makes people mad.

QuoteI'm still curious as to why you find fraud hilarious, in particular? I don't run into too many people who find it entertaining. is there a particular context in which you enjoy fraud? or is it just in general?

I think he's using horrormirth, ":horrormirth:" the local brand of cynical humor. Fraud is awesome in the same way that falling down the stairs is awesome.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 16, 2009, 11:40:00 PM
Quote from: Urraco on March 16, 2009, 10:51:06 PM
Quote from: Pope Lecherous on March 16, 2009, 08:05:46 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 16, 2009, 07:59:44 PM
Quote from: Automaton on March 16, 2009, 06:55:06 PM
Quote from: potato on March 15, 2009, 12:35:27 AM
I laugh when art makes people mad.

Yeah, fraud is hilarious.

Is fraud art?

Tricking people is always an art, but not always a science

Science is an art; conning is sometimes an art; so some art is a mix of science and conning.

It's science, trickery, or hoopla.

Hoopla?  Are you calling Hoopla a con man?  THAT'S A RACIST STATEMENT AGAINST CANADIANS!   :argh!:

If I'm not, I've certainly been wasting a LOT of time for the last few years...  dammit.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: Saint Syko the confused on March 14, 2009, 04:26:43 PM
:troll: Is an artist that kills for art-sake an artist or just a dumbass with a twisted mind (I usually like a twisted mind but only if he isn't a murder what do you think.

ALL BOW BEFORE THE MIGHT OF DISCORDIA!!!

Both.  Next question...

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Is fraud art?

Science is an art; conning is sometimes an art; so some art is a mix of science and conning.

Hoopla?  Are you calling Hoopla a con man?  THAT'S A RACIST STATEMENT AGAINST CANADIANS!   :argh!:

You mean Ice Mexicans?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

potato

Quote from: Cramulus on March 17, 2009, 06:06:42 PM
Fraud is awesome in the same way that falling down the stairs is awesome.
:lulz: yes, it is totally that awesome!

I seriously just wanted automaton to explain its response to my post, as if I were the one who said art=fraud. while I do consider that the statement may have been facetious, I should not assume so until automaton explains its apparent agreement with my statement while it simultaneously and obviously imbued my statement with meaning it does not have. automaton's post is confusing. was it trying to be really deep? cuz I wasn't.
everything I commit to print is protected by the copyright laws of the U.S. and I retain all rights, including rights to create derivative works, except where I have included reprinted content under the fair use provision, in which case the original author retains all rights, unless of course they've place their work in the public domain or under a CC license, in which case there are no restrictions on public domain works and CC works can be used under the specific license under which it has been distributed.

the above notice exists in case I accidentally ever say anything clever enough that someone wants to borrow, steal or otherwise use it in any printed form.

LMNO

If "Art is what you can get away with", the it stands to reason that the artist is "getting away with something".

Of course, since you haven't deliniated between commercial art and some ineffable aesthetic, then I am able to use either interchangably.

potato

Quote from: Cramulus on March 17, 2009, 06:06:42 PM
he's saying that fraud is a means by which art makes people mad.
I looked at this again and it struck me how idiotic it is. is that really what he's saying? because seriously, I can be artistically forthright and piss lots of people off.
everything I commit to print is protected by the copyright laws of the U.S. and I retain all rights, including rights to create derivative works, except where I have included reprinted content under the fair use provision, in which case the original author retains all rights, unless of course they've place their work in the public domain or under a CC license, in which case there are no restrictions on public domain works and CC works can be used under the specific license under which it has been distributed.

the above notice exists in case I accidentally ever say anything clever enough that someone wants to borrow, steal or otherwise use it in any printed form.

potato

Quote from: LMNO on March 17, 2009, 06:38:50 PM
If "Art is what you can get away with", the it stands to reason that the artist is "getting away with something".
whose logic is this?

LMNO

The first half is Warhol. The other half is "logic".

potato

Quote from: LMNO on March 17, 2009, 06:48:36 PM
The first half is Warhol. The other half is "logic".
saying "if art is what you can get away with, then the artist is getting away with something" seems like an attempt at logic, possibly cum hoc ergo propter hoc.

but thank you for citing your source, I wasn't aware (and I admit this with some shame) that warhol said that.

LMNO

You realize, I am just ribbing you.

The word "Art" can be taken many ways, and many claims for it being a "fraud" can be made.

For example, a painting of a sunset is not a real sunset.  It is a fraud.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Urraco

Quote from: Nigel on March 17, 2009, 06:16:38 PM

Is fraud art?

You mean Ice Mexicans?

:lulz:
Spørk, børk? Pørk!

hooplala

That chimp in your avatar is drinking Ice Mexican beer, so show some goddam respect.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman