News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

A Message from the SSOOKN regarding the Law of Fives.

Started by LMNO, March 16, 2009, 05:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

It has been frequently observed that the Law of Fives is an insightful commentary on the ability for a human to make connections amongst disparate, discreet points.

However, what has not been pointed out (recently) is the connection (hah!) between creativity, inspiration, and the joining of conflicting elements.

The Law of Fives is not just a means of explaining cognitive bias, or underlining the correlation = causation fallacy.

It is also a game that can be played to kick your brain in its ass, and start thinking about things in a new way.  It is a method not for revealing external truth, but for revealing hidden paths within your own consciousness.

The connections revealed when applying the Lo5 mean nothing, except that everything is connected to everything else (order + disorder = chaos).  But the process of figuring out what the connection is reveals much about the user making the connection.

Thank you for your time, and please excuse the esoteric intrusion.

LMNO
-Occasional SSOOKN figurehead.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: LMNO wants to smother smokngoat with a pillow. on March 16, 2009, 05:49:31 PM

The connections revealed when applying the Lo5 mean nothing, except that everything is connected to everything else (order + disorder = chaos).

This seems to contradict your whole post.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

LMNO

Cramulus

good reminder, LMNO.

I was having a conversation yesterday with a [relatively] new Discordian, and he was talking about noticing the number 23 everywhere...

and I pointed at the mug he was holding at that moment, which had a big black 32 on it.

we were both like daaaaaaaamn -- I forgot that this shit always seems to sneak up on you.

but really - anyone who hasn't gone hunting 23s should really give it a spin, if only as a brain experiment. Merely noticing them everywhere is only half of it. When they start cropping up in very unexpected places, it helps evoke this sort of paranoid mystical headspace where can lead to a very creative trip.

LMNO

I was thinking more than just 23's.

For example, using the Lo5, you can find connections between the formation of The Empire Staple Company, and chapter 3 of Moby Dick.

In doing so, you reveal a whole lot of information, and even revelation, but not because you found the connections, but because those connections reveal a great deal about you.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

And this same concept, swapped from '5' to 'archetype' provides the solution to why the tarot is occasionally useful... if used correctly.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

If your thesis is, "Lo5 reveals useful information about a person," then the statement, "The connections revealed when applying the Lo5 mean nothing...." does not seem to fit.

When do you think the connections made with Lo5 are meaningless and to whom?

Quote from: LMNO wants to smother smokngoat with a pillow. on March 16, 2009, 07:43:30 PM
I was thinking more than just 23's.

For example, using the Lo5, you can find connections between the formation of The Empire Staple Company, and chapter 3 of Moby Dick.

In doing so, you reveal a whole lot of information, and even revelation, but not because you found the connections, but because those connections reveal a great deal about you.

Do you think this process is solely internal or can someone peep your Lo5 for their own devices?

hooplala

Quote from: Automaton on March 16, 2009, 09:43:42 PM
If your thesis is, "Lo5 reveals useful information about a person," then the statement, "The connections revealed when applying the Lo5 mean nothing...." does not seem to fit.

It makes sense to me.  What I gathered from it was that the Lo5 doesn't tell you anything factual, or maybe objective is more accurately what I was thinking, whereas it can tell you plenty subjectively.  The same way a coincidence is really only meaningful for the person within the coincidence.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Telarus

Agreed. Also: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=19395.msg647244#msg647244

The connections themselves start off as meaningless, but the mind doesn't like that and they don't stay meaningless for long.....

But that's where judicial application of the 5th commandment of the Pentabarf comes in (LOL, another 5).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Quote from: Dr Hoopla on March 16, 2009, 11:11:00 PM
Quote from: Automaton on March 16, 2009, 09:43:42 PM

It makes sense to me.  What I gathered from it was that the Lo5 doesn't tell you anything factual, or maybe objective is more accurately what I was thinking, whereas it can tell you plenty subjectively.  The same way a coincidence is really only meaningful for the person within the coincidence.

I can agree with that, for the most part.

Quote from: Telarus on March 16, 2009, 11:21:26 PM
Agreed. Also: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=19395.msg647244#msg647244

The connections themselves start off as meaningless, but the mind doesn't like that and they don't stay meaningless for long.....

But that's where judicial application of the 5th commandment of the Pentabarf comes in (LOL, another 5).

It seems this is the case when the Lo5 gets applied consciously.

However, when it starts happening without any conscious effort, the opposite seems true.

It starts out being very meaningful but then quickly becomes dissolved by poring over it for a bit.

Reginald Ret

That only happens when you value your previous experiences of reality higher than the Lo5 experiences. Try it the other way around, treat the next harebrained paranoid delusion you have as the Absolute Truth and the 'evidence' stacks up like crazy.
The reason you don't let this happen is because you like your current realitygrid, it has nothing to do with the Lo5.

mutters to himself 'please dont be DK's alt please dont be DK's alt'
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

Quote from: Regret on March 17, 2009, 11:00:10 AM

mutters to himself 'please dont be DK's alt please dont be DK's alt'

I think it's Net, but I could be wrong.

Post in Arial, and see what happens.

Honey

Quote from: LMNO on March 16, 2009, 05:49:31 PM

It has been frequently observed that the Law of Fives is an insightful commentary on the ability for a human to make connections amongst disparate, discreet points.

However, what has not been pointed out (recently) is the connection (hah!) between creativity, inspiration, and the joining of conflicting elements.

The Law of Fives is not just a means of explaining cognitive bias, or underlining the correlation = causation fallacy.

It is also a game that can be played to kick your brain in its ass, and start thinking about things in a new way.  It is a method not for revealing external truth, but for revealing hidden paths within your own consciousness.

The connections revealed when applying the Lo5 mean nothing, except that everything is connected to everything else (order + disorder = chaos).  But the process of figuring out what the connection is reveals much about the user making the connection.

Thank you for your time, and please excuse the esoteric intrusion.

LMNO
-Occasional SSOOKN figurehead. 

BINGO!  & Thanks I think I really needed that.

Quote from: Telarus on March 16, 2009, 11:21:26 PM

THAT TOO!  Thanks & Respect.
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

LMNO

No problem, Honey.

The SSOOKN accepts pictures of your boobs as a form of payment.