News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

RWHN's adventures in Teenage Land.

Started by AFK, March 17, 2009, 05:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

So I had the first of four discussion forums I'm moderating at a local high school.  I mentioned this in the California Pot thread awhile back.  It's part of this program I run in the state in a bunch of high schools. 

So anyway, these discussion forums are an opportunity for kids from the school to get together and talk about a topic related to substance abuse.  This first one was on Marijuana The kids in the program brainstormed 3 questions around Marijuana and basically the kids just talked about their perceptions and experience with marijuana.   There were probably 25 kids participating in total.  From what I heard, I'd say approx 60-70% of the group smoked pot.  It was very interesting and their perceptions were all over the map.  Some thought it was no big deal others talked about how it pretty much turned their life upside down, and everything in between.  It made me feel good in a way because it really seems like kids now are getting a more well rounded view of marijuana.  I've felt in the past a lot of the info they were getting was from pop culture and the High Times crowd.  At least with this group, it seemed like they weren't interested in any of that and were more about researching on their own and deciphering their experiences instead of relying upon the experiences and thoughts of others. 

For the next session we're going to talk about Rx drug abuse. 

The only really annoying part is when 10 kids try to talk at once.  Next week I think I'm going to take a whistle or something. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

that's cool - the drug education I got came exclusively through the D.A.R.E. program which was totally ineffective.
It was one of those cases where they only told you horrible exaggerated stuff about how bad drugs are. I knew a number of kids that tried pot, discovered it wasn't the satan-weed that we had been told would immediately decimate our short term memory and make us into unlovable cultural dropouts -- and then went onto other drugs.

so I'm glad they're getting a bit more well-rounded info these days.

AFK

D.A.R.E. is pretty controversial in my field.  It may, or may not, be surprising to know that many in our field do not like DARE and think it does more harm then good precisely because of what you mentioned. 

Dysfunctional Cunt

We had cops come to our school, set out a bunch of look alike drugs out on a table with little id cards by them and tell us how we would go to jail for "however" long if we got caught with it.

Basically made us all get up and go get high right after just to say fuck you to the man.

This was long before the DARE thing.  Ours was the 'Just Say No' campaign.  We didn't give a shit what Nancy Reagan thought.  Actually her being against drugs made them all the cooler..... or did then....

Jasper

Oh Nancy Reagan, you horrible old woman.  Life would be so dull.

hooplala

Quote from: K-Bitch on March 17, 2009, 06:18:54 PMWe didn't give a shit what Nancy Reagan thought.  Actually her being against drugs made them all the cooler..... or did then....

Agreed.

Plus, the naivete displayed by the program was truly hilarious.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Lies

Quoteat my school.. the cop from DARE passed around 3 joints to show everyone... and he said "if i dont get all three of these back this schools getting locked down and everyones getting searched till i find it.." and like 30 minutes later when everyone got to see 'em and they got passed back the cop had 4
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Aufenthatt

Quote from: Lysergic on March 17, 2009, 09:42:29 PM
Quoteat my school.. the cop from DARE passed around 3 joints to show everyone... and he said "if i dont get all three of these back this schools getting locked down and everyones getting searched till i find it.." and like 30 minutes later when everyone got to see 'em and they got passed back the cop had 4

:lulz:

BADGE OF HONOR

DARE taught me a lot about drugs that I never would have known otherwise.

Actually my strongest memory was when the DARE cop went off on an extremely emotional rant about how guns kill people.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Aufenthatt

Lies

Also its good to hear about the drug education you're doing RHWN.
It actually sounds like education and not anti-drug propaganda... or pro-drug propaganda at that.
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Tempest Virago

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on March 17, 2009, 10:11:29 PM
DARE taught me a lot about drugs that I never would have known otherwise.

Actually my strongest memory was when the DARE cop went off on an extremely emotional rant about how guns kill people.

I'd never thought about drugs before DARE, and it made me curious about them. Not the intended reaction, I'm sure.

Kai

Quote from: Lysergic on March 17, 2009, 09:42:29 PM

:lulz:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

AFK

So, this week the kids and I talked about Prescription Drug abuse.  A smaller group compared to last week.  I guess talking about Rx drug use isn't quite as controversial and doesn't elicit the same passions that marijuana does.  It's obvious popping pills doesn't have the same cache as pot or alcohol.  I had to pull teeth this week, actually, to get them to talk, whereas last week I couldn't get them to shut up so I could ask another question.  There were a couple who admitted they were popping pills, though, I think they understood they probably shouldn't.  The one who talked the most about it had a very hard time making eye contact with me while she was talking about it and was turning red, I think, eliciting a certain level of embarrassment.  But, it is good that she got to talk about it and hear what her peers thought about that kind of behavior. 

Next week, we talk about alcohol.  Ho boy!  That's going to be a wild one. 

BADGE OF HONOR

Are you allowed to express your personal opinion on any of these subjects?
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".