News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Cooking piracy

Started by Cain, March 19, 2009, 11:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

You want cookbooks?  This guy has cookbooks, lotsa them.

Kai

Quote from: Cain on March 19, 2009, 11:29:14 AM
You want cookbooks?  This guy has cookbooks, lotsa them.

There's also the cooking category on gigapedia
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cain

Well, I only read 5 catergories on Gigapedia anyway, so I did not know that...but thanks.

LMNO

To be honest, I like actual cookbooks in the kitchen, stained, charred pages and all.

Kai

Quote from: Cain on March 19, 2009, 11:46:52 AM
Well, I only read 5 catergories on Gigapedia anyway, so I did not know that...but thanks.

Yeah, I didn't realize just how much was there until I started going categorically. It also took me a while to discover that there was an actual gigapedia search engine, rather than just the google one (which incidentally, works horrible)

Note: I've got the Biology category set up as an RSS feed on google reader. totally worth it
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Cain

That is why God made printers.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO - Static on March 19, 2009, 11:48:45 AM
To be honest, I like actual cookbooks in the kitchen, stained, charred pages and all.

Bulky. Also, I find my cooking is very eclectic, so I use cook books more for ideas than as systematic recipe references. Plus, when I know how to make something I don't really need the recipe anymore

general meal plan: throw some good tasting stuff in a pot (or wok), simmer, eat

Richter

I like to watch people cook something, and then just wing it myself.  It gives me an idea for the process, ingredients, and thigns to watch out for in a more meaningful way than instructions on a paper.  This is how the infamous "White Boy Empenadas" were born.

Good find though, thanks!
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I would really love to have a computer in my kitchen with a membrane keyboard, for quick-like looking up recipe ideas that aren't in my books. I always alter them anyway, but I like the idea of being able to go "What the hell could I do with a papaya?" and being able to search a bunch of recipes without leaving the kitchen.

My office is right off the kitchen, so I basically do that already, except with a lot of washing-hands and running back and forth.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Quote from: Nigel on March 19, 2009, 04:19:09 PM
I would really love to have a computer in my kitchen with a membrane keyboard, for quick-like looking up recipe ideas that aren't in my books. I always alter them anyway, but I like the idea of being able to go "What the hell could I do with a papaya?" and being able to search a bunch of recipes without leaving the kitchen.

My office is right off the kitchen, so I basically do that already, except with a lot of washing-hands and running back and forth.

you might have use for one of these...
hxxp://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3586993&CatId=533
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jenne

Quote from: Nigel on March 19, 2009, 04:19:09 PM

:mittens:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."