News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

The Fat Eris Cook book

Started by Pariah, March 20, 2009, 11:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Quote from: LMNO on March 23, 2009, 12:14:22 PM
I'm still trying to find out what the point of calling this an "Eris" cookbook is.

yeah - well there's nothing to grasp onto yet, we're still in the "project planning" phase, so I'd love to hear your take.

QuoteOther than the 5 elements, what makes these recipies "Discordian"?

Do they cause strife? Are they mindfucks? Do they make you Think For Yourself? Will they show you the bars of your Black Iron Prison?  Are they filled with Horrormirth? 

well to be fair, none of that stuff is required for Discordia. But I hear what you're saying.

QuoteOtherwise, isn't it just another cookbook with weak associations to some cultural phenomenon?

The OP mentions hiding some pranks in the book, or making it about planning a specific kind of party. (maybe one that follows a script?)

the reasoning behind this project is from the Motivations, Goals, Objectives thread. We had that revelation that this community is really good at producing projects when there's a lot of source material to draw from. This subforum is an untapped treasure trove. We've just gotta figure out how to utilize it in a fun way.

So what do you think?

AFK

You know, what we need to do after the book comes out is to get someone like LMNO or ECH to challenge Bobby Flay to a Throwdown, cause then they will try to trick LMNO or ECH by convincing them they are making a special on the cookbook, and so they'll mention the cookbook and stuff and we'll be the most famousest of hobbitses.  And then we all get to eat yummy food.  The end. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

My thoughts:  

1. I like organizing the recipies around the 5 elements. For some reason, the title "Sweet, Boom, Pungent, Prickle, and Orange: A Discordian Recipie Manual" appeals to me.

2. At least one MF recipie per section: Baked Alaska, for example, be in Sweet, because it's and ice cream dish you SET ON FIRE.  Non-life-threatening joke recipies would also be fun.

3. The recipies should be written in a humorous fashion, either through side commentary, or a funny story leading into it.  

That's all, for now.

Cramulus

Here's a good example of something:
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=18226.msg601252#msg601252

Maybe each entry could have a part where we describe how to serve it, which will include an anecdote or prank.
Like "Tell your guests you're serving them X. Tell this anecdote about how an old swami gave you this recipe in trade for saving his life. Then, when it's time to bring out the meal, it turns out to be Y." (which is a punchline)

(note: I know I didn't actually write a joke here, but you get the general idea, right?)

Pariah

I'm still trying to find out what the point of calling this an "Eris" cookbook is.

Other than the 5 elements, what makes these recipies "Discordian"?

Do they cause strife? Are they mindfucks? Do they make you Think For Yourself? Will they show you the bars of your Black Iron Prison?  Are they filled with Horrormirth? 

Are they made with Lailaise?

Otherwise, isn't it just another cookbook with weak associations to some cultural phenomenon?

Frankly I have no idea.
I'm just designing the whole thing.
We could have some mind fuck recipes.
Or a black iron prison cake
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

AFK

LMNO

AFK

Join the Club

Ooh, we need a Baby Seal Club Sandwhich.

Okay, I will stop contributing now. 

Richter

Other than the 5 elements, what makes these recipies "Discordian"?

Are they made with Lailaise?

Otherwise, isn't it just another cookbook with weak associations to some cultural phenomenon?

This is worth doing. 
IIRC, during our original brainstorming session we had considered a whole section of recipes that were pranks to pull on other people, or would cause kitchen diasters to those who tried to make them. 

Cram's "Happy Fandango" party drink, for example, (which was about getting late arrival to drink something horrid, and then recruiting them to help talk it up and get the next arrival to have one too).  This combines social drinking, outright malice, and sadistic glee, with the fun and camraderie of getting your victim in to help on the next jake.

Edit: for correct name of "Happy Fandango"

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cramulus

oh yeah, that thing!  :lulz:

here's the post:

Quote from: Cramulus on September 28, 2007, 04:24:12 PM
Quote from: Richter on September 28, 2007, 01:04:12 PM
If you want serious punishment, you want a "cement mixer", a shot of lemon juice followed by a shot of Irish Creme.  Screw Iraq, this drink will put kurds in you way.

:lulz:

Also:

Me and one of my cabalmates from the Obnoxious Jerk Cabal came up with a drink called the HAPPY FANDANGO! (when you say it you have to smile and act excited) Also, after you take the shot you are required to say how great it was* and try to get others to do the same.

A HAPPY FANDANGO! is made with:
1 part saki
1 part soy sauce
1 part vodka
1 small paintball

*protip: lie

Richter

The "protip: LIE" part always makes me  :lulz: !

Similar, but for baked goods:

Meat Muffins.

Get some hamburger, pepper, onion, cresent rolls in a tube (Or pizza dough if you want them to be better) and Spam.

Spread the rolls into muffin pan, fill with cooked beef / pepper / onion mix.  Fill one or two with Spam.  Cheese optional.
Cap and bake, keeping careful track for yourself which Meat Muffin(s) is Spammed.
Present them at the gathering like ghetto mini calzones, with a bowl of marinara sauce or somesuch for dipping.

If someone accidentally gets a spam muffin, they are shamed, and loose face for the rest of the evening (This is how we roll in BABYLON).
If not, and it lingers there like a malignant landmine, you can start all KINDS of headgames.
Just annonuce, when there are 5 or so left, "ONE of these muffins is full of spam.  If you wish, I'll point out TWO af the remainder that aren't."  (Then either lie, forget to mention that there are two spammed muffins in reality, etc.)
If the guests avoid entirely, just put them away, and someone will likely hit one the next morning while stumbling about hung over.

Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Sir Squid Diddimus

I for one, love this.

I do have some recipes that are my own that I will contribute if you want them.

If you want some stuff, let me know and I'll type it up for you.

LMNO

Richter, for some reason this reminds me of the "beer hunter" game introduced by Bob and Doug McKenzie.

Cramulus

Quote from: Richter on March 23, 2009, 04:01:50 PM
Meat Muffins.

If someone accidentally gets a spam muffin, they are shamed, and loose face for the rest of the evening (This is how we roll in BABYLON).
If not, and it lingers there like a malignant landmine, you can start all KINDS of headgames.
Just annonuce, when there are 5 or so left, "ONE of these muffins is full of spam.  If you wish, I'll point out TWO af the remainder that aren't."  (Then either lie, forget to mention that there are two spammed muffins in reality, etc.)
If the guests avoid entirely, just put them away, and someone will likely hit one the next morning while stumbling about hung over.

:mittens:
:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

YES that kind of shit is EXACTLY what we need in this book!

Richter

Other random thoughts: 
-Maybe some intentional horrid layout as a nod to PD? 
-A recipe for something printed in reverse order? (Even BETTER if you get an edible product either way you do it.)

Intentional disaster recipes: 
An apple pie that forgets to mention, or advises STRONGLY against doing things that should be common sense, like adding the sugar or butter.  You could cause all KINDS of headahces with odd pointers about dealing with the pastry for the crust, whether using a store - bought, or made from scratch.
ANY pie, suggesting a pie crust that's WILDLY innapropriate ( ex: Key lime with an Oreo cookie crust)

If we're feeling generous, there can be an un - listed "Pro - Tips" section in the back, next to the index, denouncing MOST of these traps.