News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

veggie nom nom

Started by Darth Cupcake, April 01, 2009, 02:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Cupcake

So I know we're basically all carnivores here, but for those of you who are either adventurous or okay with things like tofu, I shall be sporadically posting the nommy veggie things I make. Tonight turned out fantastically amazing, which was the inspiration for this.

Before leaving for the gym, I diced up firm tofu into bite-size cubes and put them in a tupperware with teriyaki sauce, honey, ground ginger, some red pepper flakes, and a little bit of nutmeg (I had it hanging around, so why not). Went to the gym, came back, got some white rice cooking. Tossed the tofu and sauce into a frying pan and let the sauce sizzle and reduce and whatnot as the rice cooked. It started to get a nice skin on it just as the rice was finishing up.

It came out FREAKING DELICIOUS.

I put down a layer of white rice, then tossed the tofu on type. It was amazingly good--spicy and sweet, a little tangy. Oh man it was great. I just finished my bowl of it.

That tupperware full of nommy will go in my fridge at work and feed me for the rest of the week. Yay!
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Jenne

Love the sauce idea, DC!  Sounds delish!

Corvidia

I hate tofu (I'm such a strange vegetarian), but I'd be willing to eat that! That looks delicious!
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Richter

I have yet to experiment with your interesting soy products.  The cooking sense approves of the idea though, while yammering and howling for the addition of veggies.  :mrgreen:
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Richter on April 01, 2009, 02:09:11 PM
I have yet to experiment with your interesting soy products.  The cooking sense approves of the idea though, while yammering and howling for the addition of veggies.  :mrgreen:

Yes, veggies would have been a wonderful addition... but I need to go grocery shopping. :wink:

Dysfunctional Cunt

YUMMY!!!  I like tofu. 

Did the nutmeg blend in well?  Sometimes it is a bit strong.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: K-Bitch on April 01, 2009, 03:38:01 PM
YUMMY!!!  I like tofu. 

Did the nutmeg blend in well?  Sometimes it is a bit strong.

I think so. I mean, it was a spur of the moment invention, so I'm not sure what it would've been like without the nutmeg. But it seemed good!

Jasper

For some reason I can't stand tofu unless it's been fried.

Seems like this would work just fine with fried tofu though.

Dysnomia

YUMMY I should try this!  Did you use any measurements for the sauce, or just sorta throw everything together?
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Darth Cupcake

I just kinda threw it all together. When improvising, I don't think to measure. I just add until it looks about right. :wink:

Dysnomia

I CAN DO THAT :D

will try next time we get tofu from the store!

Dysnomia

cooking this right now.  I tasted the sauce, and it's orgasmic.  I'll let the tofu sit in the sauce for a while, while I do other things around the house, then cook/serve over jasmine rice.  MMMM

Dysnomia

OMFG

brilliant idea Dcup.  All I added was a bit of soy sauce to make it not so sweet-y.  It's perfect over my jasmine rice.  MMM!  Even the boyfriend (who is a total carnivore) scarfed it down before saying I should open a vegetarian fast food place.  LOL 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yummmm that looks delicious!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."