News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

The Sacred Chao Te Ching

Started by Cramulus, April 13, 2009, 05:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wondering Monk

Quote from: LMNO on December 22, 2009, 02:39:19 PM
When this gets finished, I'd really like to get a hardcover version of it.  Could we go through Lulu?

That'd be brilliant, i would stick it on my shelf next to my real copy of the tao te ching  :D

Ill have a look through on the wiki in a bit and see if i can spot anything.

Cramulus

hardcover on lulu would be easy

I've also visualized doing a little 4.25 x 6.87 (pocket size) print. My favorite copy of the TTC was that size.

another thing to consider is cover art

LMNO

Any chance we could put it on a scroll?

Wondering Monk

i wouldn't mind giving a shot at some cover art, what kind of things did you have in mind?

LMNO

Cramulus

maybe a sacred cow of some sort.

overall it should look simple and clean. perhaps with a sort of japanese-calligraphy feel?

NotPublished

Can't believe I missed the initial stages of this, damn!

Once my mind is back, I'll go through the list (at a slow rate of course)
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Wondering Monk

Ill try and wack up a few different designs over the next few days and you can tell me what you think. I think the final idea should definitely include the sacred Chao and/or an actual cow (made sacred in some way).

What dimensions are we looking at because obviously that effects the layout of the cover?

Cramulus

undetermined at this time.

Chapters which need attention:

78 and 81
http://principiadiscordia.com/cramulus/index.php?title=Chapters_71-81

Discussion:

chapter 79:

QuoteIf you do not shit your hate, you will die.
Who can live, retaining a colon full of hate?
Therefore the monkeys howl, and fling their poop.
Are you surprised the wise spags are monkeys?
They do not deny how they were born,
nor their contradictory nature.
To deny all the elements that make us human
is worse than an impacted bowel.
The people are all monkeys,
but the wise spag admits it.

I like this chapter and don't think it needs to be touched. But it does sit oddly with me.

See my take on things is that yes, you must shit your hate.

But also, sometimes you don't need to? When you're really pissed off about something, you can fire more pain shrapnel into the world

or you can take a breath and get over yourself.

Do we have a chapter which talks about this? It would be a good balance for 78. Maybe some note like that should go in 71 (whoops!) 78, which needs a new coat of paint anyway? what do you guys think?

Triple Zero

for dimensions I would suggest square pages, cause I dunno that seems most tao-te-chingy to me.

I would definitely buy a hardcover copy of this btw.

agree about the japanese calligrpahy-feel. though if someone can think of a good theme that combines japanesene calligraphy elegance with something typically discordianesque, that would be even better. the only thing I can think of would be to do those calligraphy brush things with poop, except that would not be better but simply gross. also too strong and evocative, taking away focus from the texts.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Quote from: Cramulus on December 22, 2009, 04:18:22 PM
I like this chapter and don't think it needs to be touched. But it does sit oddly with me.

See my take on things is that yes, you must shit your hate.

But also, sometimes you don't need to? When you're really pissed off about something, you can fire more pain shrapnel into the world

or you can take a breath and get over yourself.

Do we have a chapter which talks about this? It would be a good balance for 78. Maybe some note like that should go in 71 (whoops!) 78, which needs a new coat of paint anyway? what do you guys think?

I say go ahead.

But I would say that if your hateshit is unproductive, it wasn't righteous enough.

Cramulus

chapter 79 doesn't mention productivity

it just says that you shouldn't deny your monkey nature

monkeys act in a primitive, base way which is often destructive.

LHX suggests that one should use their hateshit to build a brick shithouse. Sublimate the energy into something productive. I think that's great energy. I don't get that vibe from the current 79. 79 makes me think that if somebody cuts me off in traffic, I should go with my gut and injure them physically.

another quick / minor thing I'd like to bring up, which has been itching at me for a while:

QuoteChapter 7
The Universe outside your Prison Cell
has gone on before you, and goes on after you.
It is as unfeeling and uncaring about itself as a Barstool in midflight:
Even if you have convinced yourself it consists mainly of empty space,
you should probably still duck.

So the wise Spags look outside their own brains,
And grasp the surrounding minds.
They see the Bars of their Black Iron Prison,
and so are able to see around them.
Because isn't the other way
tatamount to masturbation?

what's wrong with masturbation?

LMNO

Masturbation is a standard metaphor and euphamism for doing something unproductive, selfish, and ultimately worthless.

Triple Zero

also "tantamount", if I'm not mistaken.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO