News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

HoliGASM

Started by Iron Sulfide, April 13, 2009, 08:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Sulfide

This is a simple thing, and i have only the most basic of ideas for it so far.

People still put up decorations for holidays. I know, i've seen them places. I've always thought they were stupid. Now i think i may have a use for them.

Two things sparked this idea mostly: people so lazy that they have Christmas lights up still, and the resulting thought: maybe i could distribute meme bombs year round with easter egg leftovers?

So i thought: wait a tic- why don't we do holiday decorating that's drastically out of season?

Shamrocks on Halloween; Nativity scenes on Veterans Day; Bats for Cinco De Mayo, etc....

ideas and feedback, plz.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Telarus

ERISTER EGGS ON EVERY NATIONAL HOLIDAY!

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Philly Fillet on April 13, 2009, 08:56:00 PM

This is a simple thing, and i have only the most basic of ideas for it so far.

People still put up decorations for holidays. I know, i've seen them places. I've always thought they were stupid. Now i think i may have a use for them.

Two things sparked this idea mostly: people so lazy that they have Christmas lights up still, and the resulting thought: maybe i could distribute meme bombs year round with easter egg leftovers?

So i thought: wait a tic- why don't we do holiday decorating that's drastically out of season?

Shamrocks on Halloween; Nativity scenes on Veterans Day; Bats for Cinco De Mayo, etc....

ideas and feedback, plz.

We already do this. :)

Also we have a tradition that after Halloween the cobwebs stay up and are decorated with crabs for Yule.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: Nigel on April 13, 2009, 10:40:20 PM

We already do this. :)

Also we have a tradition that after Halloween the cobwebs stay up and are decorated with crabs for Yule.

That's awesome! What do you think about the easter egg idea? my hope is that a random mark will be bopping aroung, expecting holiday X decor everywhere, but then - "what's this? Easter eggs on New Years?"- his day gets at least slightly weird.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Iron Sulfide

Also, I'm not sure anymore that this has the necessary potential for a GASM, but i have been assembling ideas for ways to package memes, so it's not for naught.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I definitely like the idea of putting up the "wrong" decorations for holidays, and also of going ridiculously all-out for decorations on holidays that don't normally have them at all... including making up a color scheme and "patron animal" for holidays that don't have them. Also, adding inappropriate animals to a holiday, like adding a shit-ton of owls to your May Day decorations.

Owls are easy to come by.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My friend has a large golden calf that he sets up for Walpurgis.

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: Nigel on April 17, 2009, 12:45:12 AM
My friend has a large golden calf that he sets up for Walpurgis.

i forgot that one was even coming up. i think i might also like the idea of decorating for a completely fictitious holiday with a weird name (like walpurgisnacht or something...lol) so people 1) question why the decorations are up and/or 2) feel like they really drastically missed something.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Triple Zero

i know quite a bunch of people that celebrate a big Christmas dinner or Sinterklaas* somewhere in spring or summer, either because they hadnt gotten around to it yet (with that particular friends group) or because they think the "holiday season" (oct-december) is busy enough as it is :)

* december 5th, Dutch holiday where we give presents kinda like you do on Christmas
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My housemate and daughter were drawing pictures of ghosts and candy yesterday, and captioning them:

Ghosts give us candy

I am thankful for ghosts,
because they bring candy
on Easter and the other holidays.

HAPPY EASTER!

fomenter

happy orthodox Easter
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp