News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

StarGASM

Started by Skullsoup, April 14, 2009, 02:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullsoup

Eventually some star somewhere is going to do something and get mentioned on the news. Lets prvent them from being able to say the stars name on the news. I have taken up registering star names so they can not be mentioned on the news.  You can register them for free at hXXp://www.freenameastar.com. ones i have so far are

1. Jesus Penis World
2. Dead Bitch World
3. BooBIes 5318008
4. Super Piss Explosion
5. Gorilla Crotch Party Spot
6. Bloody Butthole 555
7. thunderfart nipple balls 4evr
8. Urine Hell Shitter

I urge you in your spare time to help out and make as many stars as possible unmentionable on the radio.

Captain Kat

I cannot stop laughing at Dead Bitch World and Urine Hell Shitter.

Cain

Surely more fun would be had by picking names which can be said, but could either very easily come out wrong, or have unfortunate implications?

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I cannot see much humour in making our sky line look like it was named by Tourettes sufferers.

Skullsoup

Quote from: Cain on April 14, 2009, 11:52:14 AM
Surely more fun would be had by picking names which can be said, but could either very easily come out wrong, or have unfortunate implications?

I agree there. I will start adding those later when i register another batch. any suggestions?

the last yatto

i wonder what kai would say
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Skullsoup

1. Pootie Tootie
2. Planet Piss
3. i wonder what kai would say
4. Intergalactic Taco Truck
5. The Frop Shop
6. Ball of Burning Money
7. God's Fart
8. Pour N O

are all registered

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I imagine most memebombs would be too long to be star names?

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Golden Applesauce

This seems like an awful lot of effort for something the IAU - and everyone with a bit of common sense - is going to completely ignore.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

SUSPENDED ANNIHILATION
SIRIUS PEOPLE ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS

They don't appear to have a limit for size of the name.

And yeah, the IAU will probably ignore it. As for common sense, who has that shit any more? It's actually not all that difficult to do, and they DO make it correspond directly to an actual star. They say that they will delete profane names and spam names, but there are memebombs that will not easily be categorized as either. At the very least, anyone trying to talk about the star SUSPENDED ANNIHILATION or a planet on the star-system SIRIUS PEOPLE ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS will have a few awkward moments.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Kai

Quote from: Yάttᶿ on April 14, 2009, 09:08:25 PM
i wonder what kai would say

I would say that all the stars that are easily visible from the surface with amature scopes have been named already (many for thousands of years), and that every star has a number and coordinates anyway; adding a name is just a secondary thing that people like to do.

That being said, I put this in the same mindset as naming species. A)neither the IAU nor the ICZN are going to take profane names, so you might as well give up suggesting them, K? B) if you're gonna suggest a name, make it something good, not the bullshit you're coming up with.

I heard a story yesterday about this person who was naming species of what are commonly known as darth vader beetles, the genus Agathidium of family Leiodidae. One of them is named vaderi, after the shape of the pronotum, and the name caught on for the genus. Apparently some cornel entomologists named several other new species (of darth vader beetles) after Cheney, Bush and Rumsfelt (chenyi, bushi, and rumsfelti, respectively) as "homage". THATS the way to do it.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish