News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

Kai, thought you would appreciate this...

Started by Telarus, April 20, 2009, 08:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7998931.stm

QuoteAn Amazonian ant has dispensed with sex and developed into an all-female species, researchers have found.

The ants reproduce via cloning - the queen ants copy themselves to produce genetically identical daughters.

This species - the first ever to be shown to reproduce entirely without sex - cultivates a garden of fungus, which also reproduces asexually.

MOAR: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7998931.stm
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Reginald Ret

heh cool.
i am assuming they mean the first ant species ever? cause the first species ever is just wrong.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Kai

Quote from: Regret on April 20, 2009, 11:27:10 PM
heh cool.
i am assuming they mean the first ant species ever? cause the first species ever is just wrong.

Regret, that is the first thing I thought when I saw that a week ago.

Except with more foaming at the mouth and  :x at the term "fingerprinting". As if the general word BARCODING isn't easy enough?

Parthenogenesis is rather common in insects. Complete parthenogenesis is less so, but still occurs. Its just seldom you find it in hymenoptera due to the sociality.

Thanks for posting this Telarus. I was wondering if anyone would catch it.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish