News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

New Testament?

Started by hooplala, April 23, 2009, 04:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like the idea of running with the Payne-as-Christ theme.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

I think it would be easier with a fictional character.  Not that Payne isn't fictional...
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Payne

Yeah. I'm largely fictional.

We could do some truly kick ass things with a completely new fictional character that has no reputation or other baggage.

hooplala

What do you think?  Male, female, or hermaphrodite?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Payne

Male. It's easier to write a stupid male character, which he'd have to be at points to make it sound Gospel-y.

No saying that we couldn't have an ambiguous name, of course, and make the gender interchangeable across different books, or even within single volumes.

hooplala

Quote from: Payne on April 24, 2009, 06:28:24 PM
Male. It's easier to write a stupid male character, which he'd have to be at points to make it sound Gospel-y.

No saying that we couldn't have an ambiguous name, of course, and make the gender interchangeable across different books, or even within single volumes.

Agreed.

Here are a few names off the top of my head:

-Oxo

-Prim

-Divit

-Dorko

-Sim

-Sitch

Any of those strike anyone's fancy?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Richter

I like the sound of Oxo.  "Oure St. Oxo the Prophet"

I've got a Letter and a Miracle report framed.  Can't do much more without name / character / central dogma, so I'm eager to get started.  
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Payne

Which part were you agreeing to?

Also, Sim is quite good.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Payne

Some ideas, that I haven't particularly thought out (I guess that's what brainstorming is).

~ The geographical location doesn't particularly matter so much, no doubt it will largely be set in familiar locations for whoever is writing it. Same goes for era. Unless we are trying to make a specific point with either of these things, they don't matter. Our very contempt for unifying locations and timescales too much is a message in itself.

~ The more ordinary the character, the better. It'll make whatever messages we impart more universal. The weirder allegories can be binned because we aren't making a genuine spiritual revelation, and we can't really hope to have people spending TOO long reflecting on what they read.

~ A strong and visual image for the death* of the character. One of the most powerful symbols in Christianity is the crucifixion, for obvious reasons. People reading this will be wanting to see specifically what we are going to replace that symbol with. I'm thinking a scene of Horrormirth (much like the original, really :)) but of the Discordian flavour found and explored here on PD.

More as I think of it.

*He doesn't have to actually die though, I guess it could be a final crisis or profound epiphany.

hooplala

I think it would be interesting if he was an orphan.  And an useful plot point could be for him to be some sort of outcast? 

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

And maybe spent time in a nuthouse?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Payne

That could work well. It also makes it more believable that he'd be a curious kinda guy with a lot of doubts, for later character development.

Payne

Quote from: Dr Hoopla on April 24, 2009, 07:14:21 PM
And maybe spent time in a nuthouse?

Depends. You could have that fairly early on as a character driving plot device, or later on as a key part of the plot itself.

Both ways have some intriguing possibilities.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman