News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Want to delve deeper

Started by Dalta, May 05, 2009, 04:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalta

Quote from: Hoopla on May 06, 2009, 12:02:39 AM
Quote from: Dalta on May 05, 2009, 11:31:37 PMThey seem like Eristic Illusions, praising disorder over order when both are actually the same and just serve to cover up the underlying chaos.

Categorizing everything into Eristic Illusion/Aneristic Illusion is part of the Aneristic Illusion.  Just saying.

You're letting your Pental rule your Pomal.

I'm not categorising everything, I'm looking at the mindfucking and stuff and it seems to clearly be part of the Curse of Greyface. E.g.: 'omigod, omigod, fucking cabbages, gotta mindfuck them, gotta fuck with them, order/christianity/conservatism is bullshit, gotta win, gotta show them I'm better', blah blah blah, generally taking life a bit too seriously and not seeing it for the pure chaos that it is.

Putting their grid of 'Discordianism is right' onto the chaos, as it were.

Faust

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on May 05, 2009, 09:52:30 PM
If I were to flame you, your forum avatar would come first.
cthulu has cycled around and is no longer a horrible cliche, its vintage(again), thats due to that abhorrent zalog shit.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

hooplala

Quote from: Dalta on May 06, 2009, 12:11:03 AM
Quote from: Dalta on May 05, 2009, 11:31:37 PMThey seem like Eristic Illusions, praising disorder over order when both are actually the same and just serve to cover up the underlying chaos.

Categorizing everything into Eristic Illusion/Aneristic Illusion is part of the Aneristic Illusion.  Just saying.

I'm not categorising everything, I'm looking at the mindfucking and stuff and it seems to clearly be part of the Curse of Greyface. E.g.: 'omigod, omigod, fucking cabbages, gotta mindfuck them, gotta fuck with them, order/christianity/conservatism is bullshit, gotta win, gotta show them I'm better', blah blah blah, generally taking life a bit too seriously and not seeing it for the pure chaos that it is.

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that all pranking is malicious.  This is, of course, not the case. 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Alethias

Yup.

I don't know how to be, how to exist, without putting my grid on how I view the world.  I think that is inescapable.  The only thing that I know of that simulates it is developing the ability to swap grids, which I've done and continue to do.

But I think that is really just a grid of a different sort, as it were.

The naked truth at least for me is that I was happy in my ordered little world.  It fell apart(funny how chaos always seems to impinge on and disrupt the little pieces of order I try to make for myself).  Chaos kinda sucks, but unfortunately it seems to be all we have. 

I don't know if discordianism is right any more than any other way of dealing with life, but it is interesting and it allows for some of the stupid shit that doesn't seem to me to work otherwise.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on May 05, 2009, 10:41:46 AM
why on earth would anyone want to know MORE about those horrible Discordians?

Easier to round 'em all u...oshit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Oh, and fuck the "Eristic/Aneristic illusion".

I'll keep my bitter, bitter reality.

Venomously yours,
TGRR

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Golden Applesauce

Hmm... I'm not entirely sure what your concept of "mindfuck" is but it doesn't seem to match TOO many of ours.  If my "mindfuck" gets giggles out of passing strangers I'm pretty satisfied.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Golden Applesauce

I'm not categorising everything, I'm looking at the mindfucking and stuff and it seems to clearly be part of the Curse of Greyface.

Saying one thing is a part of another thing is a form of categorization, JSYK.

But why are you so worked up about whether something is eristic or aneristic or not?  I can't imagine how you can enjoy being a discordian if you're always checking to make sure that you're acting the way a REAL discordian should act.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: GA on May 06, 2009, 04:29:14 AM
I'm not categorising everything, I'm looking at the mindfucking and stuff and it seems to clearly be part of the Curse of Greyface.

Saying one thing is a part of another thing is a form of categorization, JSYK.

But why are you so worked up about whether something is eristic or aneristic or not?  I can't imagine how you can enjoy being a discordian if you're always checking to make sure that you're acting the way a REAL discordian should act.

I even poop Discordian.  No, really.  All of my turds look like Kerry Thornley, only bigger.

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: Hoopla on May 05, 2009, 10:27:33 PM
Let me guess... HP Lovecraft used too many semicolons?

Nah, I love Lovecraft. That graphic as a forum icon on a Discordian forum is just so obvious. It hurts.
meh.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Dalta on May 06, 2009, 12:11:03 AMI'm looking at the mindfucking and stuff and it seems to clearly be part of the Curse of Greyface. E.g.: 'omigod, omigod, fucking cabbages, gotta mindfuck them, gotta fuck with them, order/christianity/conservatism is bullshit, gotta win, gotta show them I'm better'

I'm sure a lot of people on this board totally agree with you that this is not what a mindfuck should be about.

For illustration, check out some of the threads in the O:MF subforum and observe how quite some malicious pranks are shot down for simply being about giving someone a shitty day for no apparent reason at all, without merit.

that's not mindfucking, that's being a dick.

if you want to be a dick, there are some flavours of atheism out there that can provide that service.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Faust

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on May 06, 2009, 06:57:00 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on May 05, 2009, 10:27:33 PM
Let me guess... HP Lovecraft used too many semicolons?

Nah, I love Lovecraft. That graphic as a forum icon on a Discordian forum is just so obvious. It hurts.
much like your posting
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Quote from: Dalta on May 05, 2009, 11:31:37 PM
What do you mean when you say 'DO' and you will learn? Pranking, Mindfucking? They seem like Eristic Illusions, praising disorder over order when both are actually the same and just serve to cover up the underlying chaos. And I plan to start 'writing' soon, once I get a firmer idea of what I actually think about all this.

Maybe you can ask Cram to bump the thread where he talks about mindfucks.  I know I don't want to go looking for it.

I just want to say that you do seem to have a point, when you mindfuck for no reason other than to goad people.

It seems the original intent of O:MF was to restore balance... They were doing their part to escalate Disorder, to balance the imposition of order that they saw around them. "Make everyone's day a little weirder; show them that the Universe is a much stranger place than they could ever hope to understand."

Chapter 2 of the Chao te Ching:

When the people of the world all know Order as Order,
there arises the recognition of Disorder.
When they all know there is such a thing as Illusion,
there arises the idea of Reality.

Therefore Order and Disorder produce each other,
Reality and Illusion trick each other,
Authority and Freedom define each other,
Love and Hate fuck each other.

So the wise spags look for the balance,
And stick their wrench into the Machine™.

They organize, but they do not Order.
They break apart, but they do not Disorder.
They act, but they Keep Their Fucking Mouths Shut.
And so are able to act again.

Cain

That said, some people are jerks and deserve to be endlessy antagonized. 

For instance, I am going to start a new blog who's express purpose is to expose, document and ridicule the doings of Europe's new crop of Nazis.

The methodology is pretty similar, but the aim and deservedness of the target are where the variance come in.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

QuoteIf you can master nonsense as well as you have already learned to master sense, then each will expose the other for what it is: absurdity. From that moment of illumination, a man begins to be free regardless of his surroundings. He becomes free to play order games and change them at will. He becomes free to play disorder games just for the hell of it. He becomes free to play neither or both. And as the master of his own games, he plays without fear, and therefore without frustration, and therefore with good will in his soul and love in his being.

The Aneristic and Eristic delusions appear to be tied to people REALLY THINKING that everything IS order or disorder... Discordians, on the other hand can play with both as they Will.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson