Chapter 8:

The best are like the Chao.
It balances the Order and the Disorder;
The escalation of Disorder,
And the impositon of Order,
Each adds to the other.

As they live,
And as they travel,
They see the world as others would see Illusion.
Be the Illusion Eristic,
Or be it Aneristic,
They strive to complete the balance.
It's not their fault that the Aneristic works overtime.

Cramulus

that chapter + that avatar = work of art

LMNO

From now on, I want everyone to read my posts as if it were being said by CAPTAIN CHAOS!

Cramulus

I have no idea who Dom is playing right there, but he's now the wise Zenarchist sage of my heart

and all your posts sound like he's reading them out loud

LMNO

Quote from: Cramulus on May 06, 2009, 02:35:28 PM
I have no idea who Dom is playing right there, but he's now the wise Zenarchist sage of my heart

and all your posts sound like he's reading them out loud

You never saw Cannonball Run?

For SHAME!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

How could you not know Captain Chaos?  :eek:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Dalta on May 06, 2009, 12:11:03 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on May 06, 2009, 12:02:39 AM
Quote from: Dalta on May 05, 2009, 11:31:37 PMThey seem like Eristic Illusions, praising disorder over order when both are actually the same and just serve to cover up the underlying chaos.

Categorizing everything into Eristic Illusion/Aneristic Illusion is part of the Aneristic Illusion.  Just saying.

You're letting your Pental rule your Pomal.

I'm not categorising everything, I'm looking at the mindfucking and stuff and it seems to clearly be part of the Curse of Greyface. E.g.: 'omigod, omigod, fucking cabbages, gotta mindfuck them, gotta fuck with them, order/christianity/conservatism is bullshit, gotta win, gotta show them I'm better', blah blah blah, generally taking life a bit too seriously and not seeing it for the pure chaos that it is.

Putting their grid of 'Discordianism is right' onto the chaos, as it were.

Further Thoughts...

Order and Disorder are illusions, much like lunchtime. However, many people perceive ONLY Order as creative and right, while they see Disorder as destructive and wrong. That is  the Aneristic Delusion: "The Universe is Ordered. All is ordered. Order is best/correct"

Order and Disorder are illusions, much like lunchtime. However, some Discordians perceive ONLY Disorder as creative and right, while they see Order as destructive and wrong. That is the Eristic Delusion: "The Universe is Disordered. All order is false. Disorder is best/correct"

Both perceive only a small part of the Universe, the ordered bits or the disordered bits. Those plagued with the Aneristic delusion are often grey and boring cabbages. Those plagued with the Eristic delusion are often pink and boring Pinealists. Pranks, Jakes, Mindfucks are useful against both. The idea of pranks, jakes and mindfucks are not usually to say "You are WRONG, I am RIGHT". Rather, a good mindfuck/jake/prank should make the individual consider/perceive/realize something new, something they may not have experienced before, piercing the veil that once clouded their sight. It may not support order over disorder or disorder over order... it may simply excite the imagination of some poor Cabbage in the Land of Thud.

In the land of Oz, there were those under the Wizardic Illusion. They believed in a powerful Wizard who ruled the Emerald City. In the land of Oz, there were those under the Awizardic Illusion. They were too busy hiding from the Witch, to worry about the Wizard. Discordians sometimes play the part of Toto, pulling back the curtain to show the sham. Sometimes they are like the Gatekeeper and his Horse of a Different Color, exposing people to concepts they may not have had before. Sometimes, they are like The Good Reverend Roger and crap flying monkeys out of their arse.

However, pranks, jakes and mindfucks are historically the domain of the Erisian Liberation Front and the Leigon of Dynamic Discord. Not all Discordians interact with Discordianism in that way. Lord Omar K. Ravenhurst was a proponent of this sort of Discordianism, while Malaclypse the Younger was much more interested in Mindfucking himself... thus the rise of the POEE, an esoteric self-mindfuck. Omar's impact on the world was in confusing the hell out of other people, encouraging them to think more like him. On the other hand, Mal-2 began as a hardcore atheist and mindfucked himself out of that singular viewpoint because of his personal experiences as a Discordian. Both are Discordian. Both are Acrtive.

Its a question of application, do you apply Erisian Delights to others, yourself or both? Do you play with the world of existing things, ordering them and disordering them at will, or do you accept only one view of reality? One view, be it Eristic or Aneristic seems sad and lonely and lame to me. The ability to play with both, either by themselves or together, seems much more enjoyable. If you don't want to Mindfuck someone else, Mindfuck yourself.  :transmet:

fomenter

i say that there is  :mittens: worthy ratataosk
               /
:judge:
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Dalta

Quote from: 'Ale'
I don't know if discordianism is right any more than any other way of dealing with life, but it is interesting and it allows for some of the stupid shit that doesn't seem to me to work otherwise.

That's the meaning I got out of the PD too, I think you have got the meaning, but all interpretations are equally meaningless.

Quote from: 'GA'Saying one thing is a part of another thing is a form of categorization, JSYK.

I meant the emphasis to be on 'everything', but in any case, categorising to me implies that I'm one thing is that and that's it. I was actually saying that parts of the Summa seemed to me to fall victim to the Eristic Illusion, I wasn't making any grand proclamations or anything.

Quote from: 'GA'But why are you so worked up about whether something is eristic or aneristic or not?  I can't imagine how you can enjoy being a discordian if you're always checking to make sure that you're acting the way a REAL discordian should act.

Dunno how the emotion comes over in a thread post, but I'm not 'worked up' and second, I'm not a 'discordian', I read the principia and find some of it's ideas interesting, I want to find out more. But less 'Summa'-ish and more 'Principia'-ish. That's all.

Quote from: 'Ratatosk'Both perceive only a small part of the Universe, the ordered bits or the disordered bits. Those plagued with the Aneristic delusion are often grey and boring cabbages. Those plagued with the Eristic delusion are often pink and boring Pinealists. Pranks, Jakes, Mindfucks are useful against both. The idea of pranks, jakes and mindfucks are not usually to say "You are WRONG, I am RIGHT". Rather, a good mindfuck/jake/prank should make the individual consider/perceive/realize something new, something they may not have experienced before, piercing the veil that once clouded their sight. It may not support order over disorder or disorder over order... it may simply excite the imagination of some poor Cabbage in the Land of Thud. [/quote

I'm gonna check out the Mindfuck forums and see what the story is there, see what I got wrong, if anything and then I'm also gonna read some more, but I expect I'll come back to this topic at some stage, so I'll see you all there when I do.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Dalta on May 06, 2009, 09:52:09 PM
Quote from: 'Ale'
I don't know if discordianism is right any more than any other way of dealing with life, but it is interesting and it allows for some of the stupid shit that doesn't seem to me to work otherwise.

That's the meaning I got out of the PD too, I think you have got the meaning, but all interpretations are equally meaningless.

Quote from: 'GA'Saying one thing is a part of another thing is a form of categorization, JSYK.

I meant the emphasis to be on 'everything', but in any case, categorising to me implies that I'm one thing is that and that's it. I was actually saying that parts of the Summa seemed to me to fall victim to the Eristic Illusion, I wasn't making any grand proclamations or anything.

Quote from: 'GA'But why are you so worked up about whether something is eristic or aneristic or not?  I can't imagine how you can enjoy being a discordian if you're always checking to make sure that you're acting the way a REAL discordian should act.

Dunno how the emotion comes over in a thread post, but I'm not 'worked up' and second, I'm not a 'discordian', I read the principia and find some of it's ideas interesting, I want to find out more. But less 'Summa'-ish and more 'Principia'-ish. That's all.

Quote from: 'Ratatosk'Both perceive only a small part of the Universe, the ordered bits or the disordered bits. Those plagued with the Aneristic delusion are often grey and boring cabbages. Those plagued with the Eristic delusion are often pink and boring Pinealists. Pranks, Jakes, Mindfucks are useful against both. The idea of pranks, jakes and mindfucks are not usually to say "You are WRONG, I am RIGHT". Rather, a good mindfuck/jake/prank should make the individual consider/perceive/realize something new, something they may not have experienced before, piercing the veil that once clouded their sight. It may not support order over disorder or disorder over order... it may simply excite the imagination of some poor Cabbage in the Land of Thud.

I'm gonna check out the Mindfuck forums and see what the story is there, see what I got wrong, if anything and then I'm also gonna read some more, but I expect I'll come back to this topic at some stage, so I'll see you all there when I do.

The Mindfuck forums are still just some examples of how some Discordians go about some Mindfucks. Remember, this forum is not what Discordians ARE... in fact, I'd wager a lot of Discordians disagree with a lot of the popular opinions here. In fact, we generally disagree with each other a lot. That is also a key bit of Discordianism, YOU ARE an authorized Pope of the Discordian Society. You are infallible in your positions on being Discordian, or on mindfucks, jakes etc.

As long as you remember that the rest of us are also Popes and equally infallible.  :transmet:

hooplala

He's not a Discordian, so its rather moot.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on May 06, 2009, 06:57:00 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on May 05, 2009, 10:27:33 PM
Let me guess... HP Lovecraft used too many semicolons?

Nah, I love Lovecraft. That graphic as a forum icon on a Discordian forum is just so obvious. It hurts.

Boo hoo.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dalta on May 06, 2009, 09:52:09 PM

Okay, so Dalta is just another Dadaist.

Blarg.  And I had such high hopes that Dalta was a person.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Honey

QuoteAPPARENTLY I GOT MY SIGNALS CROSSED WITH THE QUOTES

Personally, I never really took to the model of thinking of things as eristic or aneristic.  I suppose I see it as more of a spectrum of aesthetic/anesthetic.  Again personally, I find beauty in the strangest places, sometimes in the flaws & always in the unexpected, hence the allure of the chao.  I believe there is a potential in defining things out of any possible existence.  To me, the beautiful often has something to do with light & movement.  & not wanting to get tangled up in a fog of words, simply this, what moves me to think or feel is beautiful.  What numbs me is not.  That is all.

See you later.   :)
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell