News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

First post

Started by matthewsquires, May 07, 2009, 05:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthewsquires

You probably don't care about my life story so i'll try to keep it brief.  I'm new to Discordianism entirely.  I've stuggled with questions of metaphysics forever, and discordianism just clicks with me.  I'm re-reading the principia discordia over and over again, but I will say right now that the parable about Void's daughters gave me such a pleasant feeling I almost teared up.  Maybe I did tear up, so whaaaaaaaaaaat!!!

I just cut this long paragraph that said a bunch of shit about what brought me to discordianism and why i like it.  but i stopped myself when I realized that should go in another forum.  I'm new to forums in general (other than recording forums, which is kinda different than this sort of thing)  So sorry if this post isn't very thought provoking.  Just wanted to make my first post i guess.

LMNO

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: matthewsquires on May 07, 2009, 05:26:11 PM
You probably don't care about my life story so i'll try to keep it brief.  I'm new to Discordianism entirely.  I've stuggled with questions of metaphysics forever, and discordianism just clicks with me.  I'm re-reading the principia discordia over and over again, but I will say right now that the parable about Void's daughters gave me such a pleasant feeling I almost teared up.  Maybe I did tear up, so whaaaaaaaaaaat!!!

I just cut this long paragraph that said a bunch of shit about what brought me to discordianism and why i like it.  but i stopped myself when I realized that should go in another forum.  I'm new to forums in general (other than recording forums, which is kinda different than this sort of thing)  So sorry if this post isn't very thought provoking.  Just wanted to make my first post i guess.

I cried a bit when I first read the PD. For me it was the Nonsense as Salvation bit... and Omar's bit of prose on dying at the end of Void's Daughters:

QuoteAnd so it is that we, as men, do not exist until we do;
and then it is that we play with our world of existent things,
and order and disorder them, and so it shall be that non-existence
shall take us back from existence and that nameless spirituality
shall return to Void, like a tired child home from a very wild circus.

It's the best afterlife concept I've ever read... and its in one fucking sentence.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

matthewsquires

I know it's like there's some silliness and quirkiness in the rest of the parable, which i think fits perfectly.  but that last little bit that you quotes is so fucking poignant!  it just like feels warm and welcoming I guess.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: matthewsquires on May 07, 2009, 06:24:53 PM
I know it's like there's some silliness and quirkiness in the rest of the parable, which i think fits perfectly.  but that last little bit that you quotes is so fucking poignant!  it just like feels warm and welcoming I guess.

I agree... I think it was that sentence that most affected the way I see my life and Discordianism in general... playing with the world of things, ordering and disordering, having new and interesting experiences until its time to go home.

And the Void is such a beautiful metaphor for 'Who the fuck knows" ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

matthewsquires

And the Void is such a beautiful metaphor for 'Who the fuck knows" ;-)
[/quote]

I can't help but think, even if it's me reading into things, that there might be more of a metaphysical significance to the void.  Like (and I'm rehashing things i said in another post) everything's defined by what it is not, and so everything is dependent on everything else to exist.  Without evil there would be no good.  Without black there would be no white.  Without nonexistence there wouldn't be existence.  you could say that the existence and nonexistence both "exist" in that they're concepts which is part of "existence"  (I'm putting exist in quotes here because if you're following my logic, "exist means something different than unquoted exist)  but for all those "existent" things to "exist" you would need a nothingness that was unable to be conceptualized.  which I would consider the void, or some would say an impersonal god maybe.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Ratatosk on May 07, 2009, 06:12:13 PM
I cringed a bit when I first read the PD. For me it was the endless rehashing of mediocre absurdism that had been stale for a good 50 years.

fixed that for you, Rat.

MS, if you're interested in what's going on in discordianism now, you're probably doomed you should probably check out the BIP, Intermittens, Roger's rants, some of Hoopla's writing (I can't be arsed to remember titles), and the GASM subforum (where we try to put ideas into action).
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

matthewsquires

well i talk about stuff not to say i've discovered something new for mankind, just for myself.  So sorry if i'm a little behind you guys.  we all end up in the same place.  that place being the gravvvvvve.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on May 07, 2009, 07:33:29 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on May 07, 2009, 06:12:13 PM
I cringed a bit when I first read the PD. For me it was the endless rehashing of mediocre absurdism that had been stale for a good 50 years.

fixed that for you, Rat.

MS, if you're interested in what's going on in discordianism now, you're probably doomed you should probably check out the BIP, Intermittens, Roger's rants, some of Hoopla's writing (I can't be arsed to remember titles), and the GASM subforum (where we try to put ideas into action).

Roger's rants are bad for you.  He should stick to BIP.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: matthewsquires on May 07, 2009, 06:24:53 PM

Oh, they're so cute right before the hammer comes down.   :)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: matthewsquires on May 08, 2009, 02:23:34 AM
well i talk about stuff not to say i've discovered something new for mankind, just for myself.  So sorry if i'm a little behind you guys.  we all end up in the same place.  that place being the gravvvvvve.

No worries, I like the PD. Sure it's old now, but it was new when it was written, and pretty original at the time.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."