News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

ITT: Original Story Ideas

Started by Cramulus, May 11, 2009, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Ayn Rands Solid Gold Coffin is dredged from the sea bed by reckless looters, unleashing unnameable horrors upon the world, only a hard-working entrepreneur and a Mayan prophecy have any hope of  defeating her demons and stopping her resurrection.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

McGrupp

Benedictine monk held at gunpoint and forced to write 6000 pages of erotic Mr Belvedere fanfiction.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: McGrupp on March 07, 2013, 05:04:06 AM
Benedictine monk held at gunpoint and forced to write 6000 pages of erotic Mr Belvedere fanfiction.

I like this because you know that would be damn good fanfiction.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

McGrupp

The Kabbalah Tree of Life explained using only references to Mega Man bosses.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Someone posts a thread called "News stories that alter their own narrative structure", containing a story about a Florida Man doing something. This story is a memetic infovore: it eats information out of the brains of the readers, then shits out new information, and because it is capital-N news it is absolutely true (of course), and so it modifies reality. A group of quants working for an obscure mutual fund firm decide to study it, in order to make money off it. David Silver, while analyzing patterns in vowel frequency of twitter traffic, determines that there is an 85% chance that this will totally modify reality in the general vicinity and social network of everyone currently actively or passively involved with the stock market, and so he must team up with Vladmir Putin and Emeritus Pope Karl Ratzinger to break the administrator password of PD in order to delete the thread before reality breaks.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Phosphatidylserine on March 10, 2013, 07:29:36 PM
Someone posts a thread called "News stories that alter their own narrative structure", containing a story about a Florida Man doing something. This story is a memetic infovore: it eats information out of the brains of the readers, then shits out new information, and because it is capital-N news it is absolutely true (of course), and so it modifies reality. A group of quants working for an obscure mutual fund firm decide to study it, in order to make money off it. David Silver, while analyzing patterns in vowel frequency of twitter traffic, determines that there is an 85% chance that this will totally modify reality in the general vicinity and social network of everyone currently actively or passively involved with the stock market, and so he must team up with Vladmir Putin and Emeritus Pope Karl Ratzinger to break the administrator password of PD in order to delete the thread before reality breaks.

So this is what happens when you combine Bitter Seeds and Oliver Sacks' Hallucinations

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Bu☆ns on March 11, 2013, 04:32:59 AM

So this is what happens when you combine Bitter Seeds and Oliver Sacks' Hallucinations

I was also reading about Roko's Basilisk.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

AFK

A pharmacist, tired of his dead end life, takes off with his dog in a VW bus on a quest to see if he can write himself a new script.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Phosphatidylserine on March 12, 2013, 02:11:52 AM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on March 11, 2013, 04:32:59 AM

I was also reading about Roko's Basilisk.

c'mon man I just go finished with  therapy...  :argh!:

LMNO

Giant squid are mankind's protector against the evil creatures who want to destroy terrestrial life. 

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 21, 2013, 12:24:58 PM
Giant squid are mankind's protector against the evil creatures who want to destroy terrestrial life. 

Entire story takes place in a sushi bar over a plate of calamari.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Lenin McCarthy

Not too weird, but an idea I'm going to explore a bit more in depth:

An alternate historical novel in which Norway's communists turn violent in reaction to state repression and King Haakon's refusal to cooperate with them (he famously said "I am also King of the communists," in this story he does not). With bases deep in the thick forests of Eastern Norway, the communists wage guerrilla war against the central government. The story follows some young communists, torn between youthful idealism and disillusionment in the face of the brutality of war.

LMNO

I had a dream last night, half remembered, which has this premise:

The universe, at a sub-quantum level, behaves in accordance with semantic rules.

So in addition to cheating, Universe like playing word games.  Which means Cunning Linguists rule the earth.

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 25, 2013, 03:25:20 PM
I had a dream last night, half remembered, which has this premise:

The universe, at a sub-quantum level, behaves in accordance with semantic rules.

So in addition to cheating, Universe like playing word games.  Which means Punners rule the earth.

Fixed that for you.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Lenin McCarthy

One day in each of the lives of Ivan Denisovich's cat.