PD.com: We have 73 Virgins!

Main Menu

ITT: Original Story Ideas

Started by Cramulus, May 11, 2009, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: LuciferX on April 23, 2015, 07:42:24 AM
Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on April 21, 2015, 12:19:02 PM
While researching the philosopher's stone in the modern day, a researcher makes the discovery that it was actually made once, and finds the creator. He discovers that possession of the philosopher's stone turns you into a vampire -- because human free will is one of the many impurities that the philosopher's stone burns away, and the 'perfected being' is unable to behave unethically because he is unable to resist natural law (and thus is subject to only animalistic urges of hunger and lust). However, being a pure material, the philosopher's stone is pretty highly reactive to certain things -- it will combust with the air if catalyzed by light (being the metal of metals, it has a strong photoelectric effect), water, or certain classes of acidic fumes (such as those produced by chopping garlic or onions).
Okay, wait, how is the traditional behavior of Vampires coherent with the human understanding of Natural Law, if only that it presupposes providing for, instead of negating, free will?

In this context, I'm assuming that natural law is hobbsean, and that vampires are 'perfect' in the way that the xenomorphs are 'perfect' according to the android in the first Alien movie.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

minuspace

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on April 23, 2015, 12:49:38 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on April 23, 2015, 07:42:24 AM
Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on April 21, 2015, 12:19:02 PM
While researching the philosopher's stone in the modern day, a researcher makes the discovery that it was actually made once, and finds the creator. He discovers that possession of the philosopher's stone turns you into a vampire -- because human free will is one of the many impurities that the philosopher's stone burns away, and the 'perfected being' is unable to behave unethically because he is unable to resist natural law (and thus is subject to only animalistic urges of hunger and lust). However, being a pure material, the philosopher's stone is pretty highly reactive to certain things -- it will combust with the air if catalyzed by light (being the metal of metals, it has a strong photoelectric effect), water, or certain classes of acidic fumes (such as those produced by chopping garlic or onions).
Okay, wait, how is the traditional behavior of Vampires coherent with the human understanding of Natural Law, if only that it presupposes providing for, instead of negating, free will?

In this context, I'm assuming that natural law is hobbsean, and that vampires are 'perfect' in the way that the xenomorphs are 'perfect' according to the android in the first Alien movie.
That, is awesomely horrorific (sic.)!

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

One of those fantasy novels where a little boy has a vision of heaven during a near-death experience (like Heaven is for Real or The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven), except instead of Heaven, he goes to Hell.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

minuspace

Protagonist enters racy relationship with girl he thought he used to know, but not really.  Soon he starts thinking she has an evil twin that sometimes tricks him into sleeping with her.  This scenario is facilitated by how her family is primarily composed of private sector ex-military plastic surgeons specializing in facial reconstruction.

Actually, the whole relationship is a set-up, to beta test how effective new procedures are at recreating semblances that are virtually indistinguishable from the original.  Turns out he was dating dozens of girls he thought to be the same, albeit somewhat moody, girl of good ol' southern country stock.  The results were very encouraging.

CUT TO
Protagonist finds himself at dinner, that, for some uncanny reason, he finds himself enjoying with /the/ top-dozen A-List of Hollywood actors, at the head of which he sits.  The conversation is, absurdly enough, about underwear, turning into a nightmare confessional of how many of them had slept with the same "model" girlfriend.

Things get worse as attention moves to our protagonist, and his date.  There is a hint that maybe she may have slept with at least one of the actors.  She turns to him and says "Honey, I have to tell you something..."  He then starts being debriefed on experiment and the actors confess to being impersonators themselves, with the added admonition that /he/ was the fool not to realize, or that, on some level, this is what he wanted.  It was a good ride, wasn't it?

Low rumbling noise in background starts getting louder, turning into sound of suction, drowning table conversation.  Protagonist POV rises, as though lifting off table - fade to white-ceiling.  Pump sounds morph to shrill ring-whistle-silence.  Then the first breath.   All plastic masks and tubes being torn off, seals broken:  Protagonist awakens to find himself being infact herself - the girl inside the dream.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Idea for short comedy skit: Dorian Gray has difficulty purchasing beer because the picture on his driver's license has aged but he himself hasn't

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

minuspace

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on April 29, 2015, 08:08:48 AM
Idea for short comedy skit: Dorian Gray has difficulty purchasing beer because the picture on his driver's license has aged but he himself hasn't
Just remember not to have any weed on you this time, Mnkay? :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on April 29, 2015, 08:08:48 AM

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Thinking about the Soverign Citizen and Tea Party movements gave me the idea - though I don't have any details worked out yet - for a story about an an evil, paralell-universe version of Robin Hood and the Merry Men (not just a version where they're merely regular bandits and tax cheats, one where they border on supervillany and retain an active anti-tax agenda). Again, no idea what the details of the story would be.

minuspace

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on April 30, 2015, 05:05:01 AM
Thinking about the Soverign Citizen and Tea Party movements gave me the idea - though I don't have any details worked out yet - for a story about an an evil, paralell-universe version of Robin Hood and the Merry Men (not just a version where they're merely regular bandits and tax cheats, one where they border on supervillany and retain an active anti-tax agenda). Again, no idea what the details of the story would be.
It starts with a personal letter from JP Morgan, stating that your account is up for review because PATRIOT ACT...

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

One of those insipid sci-fi cautionary tales about new technology and not playing god (ie. things like "Frankenstein", "Jurassic Park", "Event Horizon", "The Lazarus Effect", "Forbidden Planet", and any movie where a sentient AI computer takes control of the world's nukes), except about some already existing and well established and more-or-less uncontroversial technology (such as air travel, or blood transfusions, or motion pictures) that everyone already knows to have no such issues, but which is presented as having serious and omnipervasive moral and safety issues of a highly dubious nature. A recipient of a blood transfusion might start exhibiting all of the donor's negative personality traits for example, or an airplane might somehow leave the atmosphere and drift off helplessly into space, or somethong like that.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on May 15, 2015, 09:43:10 AM
One of those insipid sci-fi cautionary tales about new technology and not playing god (ie. things like "Frankenstein", "Jurassic Park", "Event Horizon", "The Lazarus Effect", "Forbidden Planet", and any movie where a sentient AI computer takes control of the world's nukes), except about some already existing and well established and more-or-less uncontroversial technology (such as air travel, or blood transfusions, or motion pictures) that everyone already knows to have no such issues, but which is presented as having serious and omnipervasive moral and safety issues of a highly dubious nature. A recipient of a blood transfusion might start exhibiting all of the donor's negative personality traits for example, or an airplane might somehow leave the atmosphere and drift off helplessly into space, or somethong like that.
OH man, I would love seeing a movie about that!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

axod

2012 actually did happen.  It's just that those remaining didnt recognize the absence of those departed.  A parallel world aleady exists concurrent to the otherwise consensus reality.  Topically reflected in things such as "Darknet", the mainstream channels such as YouTube also sometimes show hints of this:  transport time-code numbers start moving backwards as songs turn into personalized serenades, played by the devil himself.
just this

Rococo Modem Basilisk

While yours would be different because it's intentional, the best example I'm aware of of this being *unintentional* is Alrune, a German movie from the 30s about how children conceived via in-vitro fertilization are evil sadistic sluts because they don't have souls.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Junkenstein

AI is created to stimulate economic growth. Assess levels of productivity created by one car crash and promptly creates national and international disasters to boost business.

The economy has never been better but everything everywhere is now a deathtrap.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 15, 2015, 01:09:36 PM

AI is created to stimulate economic growth. Assess levels of productivity created by one car crash and promptly creates national and international disasters to boost business.

The economy has never been better but everything everywhere is now a deathtrap.
:lulz:
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"