News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

ITT: Original Story Ideas

Started by Cramulus, May 11, 2009, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubya

I'd buy download that movie.

Id actually pay money to see it if they got Sean Bean to play the cop and either Eddie Murphy or Patrick Stewart to voice the robot.
"Gold Medalist of the 2015 David Cameron Memorial Barnyard Olympics."

Rococo Modem Basilisk

An evangelical christian minister becomes a serial killer after he becomes convinced that he is in hell and that by killing people he can send them to be judged again -- as a result, he stalks and kills the most saintly people he can find.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

LMNO

I like it, but it should be like I Am Legend, so the audience thinks he's the protagonist.

Chucklemaster

A wandering hobo stumbles across an enchanted forest whose denizens are all elitist assholes.
blah blah blah the rest of the song

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on June 18, 2015, 09:51:10 PM
An evangelical christian minister becomes a serial killer after he becomes convinced that he is in hell and that by killing people he can send them to be judged again -- as a result, he stalks and kills the most saintly people he can find.
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 18, 2015, 10:58:48 PM
I like it, but it should be like I Am Legend, so the audience thinks he's the protagonist.
Great!

Quote from: Chucklemaster on June 19, 2015, 12:50:07 AM
A wandering hobo stumbles across an enchanted forest whose denizens are all elitist assholes.
I don't get it.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A famous genius scientist suffers from a degenerative disorder, yet lives to an unheard-of age in part due to the help of an incredible support network that keeps him physically healthy and supplies him with technology that helps him communicate despite having fewer and fewer muscles he's actually able to control. At one point, the scientist becomes a centenarian and he is interviewed about it (since it's rare enough to live to 100, but he is the first person with his disease to live to 100 without a loss of his mental faculties) but he is unable to stay on-topic and instead keeps returning to topics he frequently lectures on. Doctors initially believe he may have had a stroke immediately before the interview, but after some investigation with state of the art brain-imaging technology, discover that he has been completely brain-dead for ten years -- the technology that helped him communicate, along with the support network that improved it, was solely responsible for the work attributed to him during that period.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on June 19, 2015, 09:23:32 PM
A famous genius scientist suffers from a degenerative disorder, yet lives to an unheard-of age in part due to the help of an incredible support network that keeps him physically healthy and supplies him with technology that helps him communicate despite having fewer and fewer muscles he's actually able to control. At one point, the scientist becomes a centenarian and he is interviewed about it (since it's rare enough to live to 100, but he is the first person with his disease to live to 100 without a loss of his mental faculties) but he is unable to stay on-topic and instead keeps returning to topics he frequently lectures on. Doctors initially believe he may have had a stroke immediately before the interview, but after some investigation with state of the art brain-imaging technology, discover that he has been completely brain-dead for ten years -- the technology that helped him communicate, along with the support network that improved it, was solely responsible for the work attributed to him during that period.

I see someone else read that article about Steven Hawking...

axod

Rocko's on a roll!

This last one too, is great.  So, is it that the information is simply on repeat, without a controller?  Or, was the scientist simply a modulator of the signal, and if so, where did it originate?  Was the source a cabal of trans dimensional machine-elf-gremlins intent on enslaving humanity, or, a secret illuminati conspiracy for the beneficial advancement of mind-kind?

just this

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: axod on June 19, 2015, 10:32:25 PM
Rocko's on a roll!

This last one too, is great.  So, is it that the information is simply on repeat, without a controller?  Or, was the scientist simply a modulator of the signal, and if so, where did it originate?  Was the source a cabal of trans dimensional machine-elf-gremlins intent on enslaving humanity, or, a secret illuminati conspiracy for the beneficial advancement of mind-kind?

Read this: http://www.wired.com/2013/01/hawking-machine-man-robots/

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Hawking's speech synthesizer has an interface a lot like the predictive text function on your phone. Only, controlled by his cheek muscles. So, the idea is that, in this case, he's having random cheek spasms and the prediction mechanism generates sensible sentences given random input.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

In the near future, Russia and Japan join forces to standardize a method by which they can assuage their shared problem of declining birth rates and aging populations without allowing an influx of immigrants, essentially by taking enforced sperm and egg donations from their existing population (from high school seniors once a year) and then combining them entirely at random, raising the children via the orphanage system. Fast forward seventy years and there's an international culture wherein most of the population in first-world countries grew up as wards of the state, mate selection plays essentially no part in the general direction of population attributes, giving birth is a high-paced high-paying profession comparable to professional sports where women who have given birth a large number of times get medals for achievement and reality TV shows when they hit menopause, and having children for free or raising children is considered gauche and a little uncivilized -- something that only poor people do. Being pregnant has the same cultural stigma as being sixteen and pregnant has now. Furthermore, the particular neuroses common to people raised in orphanages without the support of caring elders become more or less universal elements of society and popular culture (to a greater extreme, because these state-run child-rearing facilities are now mostly being staffed by Japanese-made health-care robots). On the positive side, in this society there's no stigma attached to any shade of sexuality aside from breeding (there are, essentially, no siblings anymore and there's no nuclear-family-driven ideologies), and gender identity is mostly very fluid because it's cheaper to discourage strong gender roles in large child-care facilities. On the negative side, overt aggression and competitiveness is common, as is depression and difficulty demonstrating affection in healthy ways.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on June 22, 2015, 12:30:23 PM
In the near future, Russia and Japan join forces to standardize a method by which they can assuage their shared problem of declining birth rates and aging populations without allowing an influx of immigrants, essentially by taking enforced sperm and egg donations from their existing population (from high school seniors once a year) and then combining them entirely at random, raising the children via the orphanage system. Fast forward seventy years and there's an international culture wherein most of the population in first-world countries grew up as wards of the state, mate selection plays essentially no part in the general direction of population attributes, giving birth is a high-paced high-paying profession comparable to professional sports where women who have given birth a large number of times get medals for achievement and reality TV shows when they hit menopause, and having children for free or raising children is considered gauche and a little uncivilized -- something that only poor people do. Being pregnant has the same cultural stigma as being sixteen and pregnant has now. Furthermore, the particular neuroses common to people raised in orphanages without the support of caring elders become more or less universal elements of society and popular culture (to a greater extreme, because these state-run child-rearing facilities are now mostly being staffed by Japanese-made health-care robots). On the positive side, in this society there's no stigma attached to any shade of sexuality aside from breeding (there are, essentially, no siblings anymore and there's no nuclear-family-driven ideologies), and gender identity is mostly very fluid because it's cheaper to discourage strong gender roles in large child-care facilities. On the negative side, overt aggression and competitiveness is common, as is depression and difficulty demonstrating affection in healthy ways.

That sounds kind of like Brave New World, possibly combined with Shock Treatment and Hivebent

It does sound like it would make a good dystopian sci-fi movie
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Rococo Modem Basilisk

In a city where expensive and highly competitive private security organizations dominate law enforcement, a wealthy playboy becomes a masked vigilante and protects the poor from each other and from corrupt cops for free, until the powers that be decided that he is unfairly undercutting the professionals and open season is declared on him by Police Commissioner Gordon Gekko.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A METI/SETI project makes first contact with nearby sentient extraterrestrials, who visit for diplomatic reasons. These beings, who evolved on a planet similar to ours but now mostly live in generation ships, are amphibious carnivorous arachnids with tentacles and chitinous wings who resemble snakes, spiders, dragons, cockroaches, and great cats in almost equal measure -- relatively solitary animals with a habit of playing with their food. Almost over night, religious cults spring up either worshipping these beings or claiming that they are demons sent to bring about the end times. During the course of normal negotiations, it's mentioned that it's strange that these aliens just so happened to have their ship so close, and they admit that in fact they have been in a highly eccentric orbit around earth for millions of years, historically using it as a hunting preserve. Long periods of massive organized predation of early homonids and their ancestors by these aliens shaped the form of current humanity along with implanting certain kinds of nearly universal fears. Despite all this, we come to develop a good trading relationship with the aliens, and we allow them to hunt for sport in various parts of the world in limited ways in exchange for various advanced technologies. But, from that point on, whenever diplomats come to visit, they do so in exoskeletons that hide their body morphology.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

The movie follows the life of a Japanese youth who Joins the Japanese army during World War 2. The religious aspect of WW2 era Japanese propaganda is featured prominently; the protagonist buys into it. The film comes to an abrupt end when the protagonist is unceremoniously killed in the atomic bombing of Hiroshima before even shipping out. In place of music, the end credits are accompanied by an audio sample of the scene from Beneath the Planet of the Apes where Mendez and his followers worship a nuclear bomb.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago