News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

ITT: Original Story Ideas

Started by Cramulus, May 11, 2009, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

All the major Wall Street firms have their lower ranks infiltrated by members of an organized crime syndicate composed entirely of people with various kinds of psychic powers, most of whom are genetically related (because psychic powers are passed on genetically, although the particular way that the powers manifest seems to be environmental). The syndicate prevents their members from getting *too* lucky or spending their wealth in ostentatious ways -- instead, the syndicate uses members with hiring powers to bring on people with precognition and clairvoyance abilities and launders their money through large numbers of laundromats and pet shops owned by people with other psychic powers (such as telekinesis). However, they have an intelligence wing -- because some psychics haven't yet been brought into the collective, and mutations occasionally happen that cause psychics to be born into a family with no history of them. This intelligence wing consists largely of telepaths (although the upper ranks are full of people with advanced remote viewing abilities), who have primarily infiltrated positions as security guards in malls and big-box stores -- maximizing their ability to observe the public, and keeping a close eye on teenagers who just discovered their telekinesis and are trying to use it to shoplift.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I had an idea for a Christmas special that is deliberately rife with scriptural, historical, and cultural inaccuracies in it's depiction of the nativity of Jesus. The Roman soldiers carry muskets. There are five wise men and one of them is Santa Claus. The angels are uniformly depicted as looking like grey aliens (or alternately are depicted with an unusually high degree of scriptural accuracy and exactly match the weird description given by Ezekiel) and arrive and depart in a "magic chariot" that is clearly a flying saucer. On more than one occasion the narrator conflates Jehovah with not only Odin but also Zeus and Marduk. The Virgin Mary is inexplicably depicted as having either East Asian, Pacific Islander, or Native American features and dress. Instead of a stable, Jesus is born in a storage shed and the narrator tells us that "manger" means a type of crate. Et cetera.

EDIT:
Also, instead of Herod sending soldiers to assassinate Jesus because he thinks Jesus will become a threat to his power, Herod instead sends Krampus to kidnap Jesus because he believes that his hair and nails will be useful in a formula to transmute lead into gold.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on September 20, 2015, 12:18:09 AM
All the major Wall Street firms have their lower ranks infiltrated by members of an organized crime syndicate composed entirely of people with various kinds of psychic powers, most of whom are genetically related (because psychic powers are passed on genetically, although the particular way that the powers manifest seems to be environmental). The syndicate prevents their members from getting *too* lucky or spending their wealth in ostentatious ways -- instead, the syndicate uses members with hiring powers to bring on people with precognition and clairvoyance abilities and launders their money through large numbers of laundromats and pet shops owned by people with other psychic powers (such as telekinesis). However, they have an intelligence wing -- because some psychics haven't yet been brought into the collective, and mutations occasionally happen that cause psychics to be born into a family with no history of them. This intelligence wing consists largely of telepaths (although the upper ranks are full of people with advanced remote viewing abilities), who have primarily infiltrated positions as security guards in malls and big-box stores -- maximizing their ability to observe the public, and keeping a close eye on teenagers who just discovered their telekinesis and are trying to use it to shoplift.
I would watch this tv show
              \
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Chelagoras The Boulder

A series following an order of international assassins that cannot be intimidated, bribed, or bargained with, that mainly does high profile assassinations with the intent of deliberatly smashing some pretty major cogs in The Machine. Morally bankrupt CEOs, crackpot dictators, Corrupt politicians and public figures. the scariest people you could possibly try to assainate. Why? because they are exclusively made up of operatives who are terminally ill and have accepted their oncoming deaths with a grim determination to leave this world a better place then they found it, by force if necessary.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on September 20, 2015, 03:49:27 AM
A series following an order of international assassins that cannot be intimidated, bribed, or bargained with, that mainly does high profile assassinations with the intent of deliberatly smashing some pretty major cogs in The Machine. Morally bankrupt CEOs, crackpot dictators, Corrupt politicians and public figures. the scariest people you could possibly try to assainate. Why? because they are exclusively made up of operatives who are terminally ill and have accepted their oncoming deaths with a grim determination to leave this world a better place then they found it, by force if necessary.

I could see this being combined with a superhero theme. Accidents with laboratory chemicals leaving people with fantastic powers as well as tumors the size of golf balls, and they use their last days to fight crime.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A series following a group of unintentional assassins -- people so pathologically clumsy that someone around them almost always dies when they get nervous, and yet it's always clearly an accident. These assassins are normally kept sedated and treated like radioactive materials; when they are needed, they are given amphetamines and placed near the person to be assassinated until they accidentally knock over a candle and set him on fire or something.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on April 08, 2010, 05:52:43 AM
A young boy comes across an injured dog and decides to rescue it.  He befriends the dog, which likewise becomes quickly attached to him and his family.  One day while playing in the woods, the dog leads the boy to a patch of dirt that he soon begins digging.  The dog has had years of training as a Human Remains Detection Canine - a Cadaver Dog.  Can dog and boy work together to solve a murder?  Will dog's owner ultimately find their lost hound?  Will boy ever sleep soundly again?

Later it turns out that the boy was a ghost the whole time.

rong

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on September 21, 2015, 04:15:51 AM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on April 08, 2010, 05:52:43 AM
A young boy comes across an injured dog and decides to rescue it.  He befriends the dog, which likewise becomes quickly attached to him and his family.  One day while playing in the woods, the dog leads the boy to a patch of dirt that he soon begins digging.  The dog has had years of training as a Human Remains Detection Canine - a Cadaver Dog.  Can dog and boy work together to solve a murder?  Will dog's owner ultimately find their lost hound?  Will boy ever sleep soundly again?

Later it turns out that the boy was a ghost the whole time.

and the body the dog finds is the boy
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Rococo Modem Basilisk

It is discovered that a dietary supplement that was trendy for a short period of time, when used by pregnant women, causes a series of rare mutations that, after several generations, can coalesce into an ability to teleport matter (or, more accurately, swap two volumes of matter instantaneously without regard for the distance between them). When these people's powers were discovered and verified, the market pushed them into positions where their talents would be most valuable: package delivery. Taking advantage of its special position, the US postal system conspired to gain a monopoly on their use for superluminal package delivery -- citing the potential hazards of a third party with no oversight being able to (say) teleport a brick into the head of the president of their primary competitor. However, a subset of people with these powers -- a motley crew of crypto-fascists, libertarians, and transhumanists -- have come to believe that this ability makes them superhuman and have formed a terrorist organization to overthrow the postal service (which is now pulling the strings behind the government, because the ability to perform untracable assassinations from a distance is very useful) and institute a breeding program wherein all non-teleporters will be sterilized. A war breaks out: the mail-men versus the post-men.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Iy syarts out like a movie that's gonna be set at a resort or some vacation spot, but the opening scene w9n't end. The characters keep remembering things they need to pack or having to go to the bathroom for two hours and never get past the driveway.

EDIT:
Another idea:
A futuristic retellig of The DaVinci Code, but with Mapplethorpe instead of DaVinci and set a couple hundred years in the future

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on September 21, 2015, 10:11:49 PM
Iy syarts out like a movie that's gonna be set at a resort or some vacation spot, but the opening scene w9n't end. The characters keep remembering things they need to pack or having to go to the bathroom for two hours and never get past the driveway.

I like this. The things they've forgotten can get increasingly strange and surreal.

axod

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on September 22, 2015, 01:17:31 AM

I like this. The things they've forgotten can get increasingly strange and surreal.
A growing nostalgia develops between them.  It's difficult to dermine what for; they increasingly feel a sense of having neglected something.  The obstinant absence of this object leads them to further develop obsessive rituals to explore the most extreme range of bizarre interactions possible with the 'increasingly strange and surreal" props.  The attempt to brute-force memory recall is devastating, with terminally degenerative results.
just this

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: axod on September 22, 2015, 04:46:30 AM
Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on September 22, 2015, 01:17:31 AM

A growing nostalgia develops between them.  It's difficult to dermine what for; they increasingly feel a sense of having neglected something.  The obstinant absence of this object leads them to further develop obsessive rituals to explore the most extreme range of bizarre interactions possible with the 'increasingly strange and surreal" props.  The attempt to brute-force memory recall is devastating, with terminally degenerative results.
Ha! Sounds like something Cronenberg would have done early in his career. (Ever seen Crimes of the Future?)

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

An cult of fundamentalist born-again Christian creationists forms around an unremarkable rock pinnacle. The cult describes the spire as a "sundial not made by man" and contends that it's existance could not possibly be coincidental and thus proves the existence of their god.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A young white house aide discovers that he has the ability to switch bodies with anyone he anally penetrates. He uses this ability to persue aggressive reforms, by repeatedly sodomizing congressmen in order to impersonate them (and then sodomizing his own body, which he has left restrained in a white house broom closet, in order to switch back).