News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

ITT: Original Story Ideas

Started by Cramulus, May 11, 2009, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Pecos Bill updated as a stormchaser who abuses prescription heart medication.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

An americanized version of "V For Vendetta" with 9/11 refrences replacing the Gunpowder Plot theme. The hero wears an Osama bin Laden mask and wants to destroy the Pentagon.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

LMNO

Society has come to the belief that there is a single moment in time when a person has a genius idea or concept that can have a lasting, meaningful effect on the world, and after that point they may be talented, but their lives will never have lasting, meaningful impact.

Scientists discover a way to identify when this moment is in any given individual so they can make the most of it when it happens.  However, the method is extremely expensive, so only the wealthy, arrogant elite can afford it.

As it turns out, each person who goes through the treatment discovers their moment has already passed.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on October 16, 2015, 01:01:21 PM
Society has come to the belief that there is a single moment in time when a person has a genius idea or concept that can have a lasting, meaningful effect on the world, and after that point they may be talented, but their lives will never have lasting, meaningful impact.

Scientists discover a way to identify when this moment is in any given individual so they can make the most of it when it happens.  However, the method is extremely expensive, so only the wealthy, arrogant elite can afford it.

As it turns out, each person who goes through the treatment discovers their moment has already passed.

Oh I like this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

The initial concept was developed last night at band practice when we were discussing Brian Wilson's career.  The bleak twist came later.

minuspace

I like it.  Was thinking something along those lines this morning:  the scarcity of satori moments gives way to a secondary market whereby people pay good money just to be present during someone else's moment of realization - to have a genius experience by proxy.  To ensure the greatest probability of transmission, all kinds of "enhancement" options are made available by purveyors of psy-tourism.

And then, I can't help thinking about this one too.  Perhaps they are related.  Forgive my insolent ways.
Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on October 03, 2015, 01:10:46 AM
A machine developed for military interrogation applications that simulates telepathy by synchronizing the activity of corresponding neurons in two brains loses its military application when it is preemptively outlawed by a set of international agreements banning the use of 'neuroelectric interrogation devices', and after the plans leak, doing a mind-meld becomes a popular means of entertainment among young people. Because the technology cannot be made particularly more useful -- recordings don't work because the feedback between the two brains during the early stages of the sync are what keep the information from being hopelessly distorted and connectome mapping hasn't yielded enough information to make extracting thoughts without the use of a human interpreter feasible -- there are few crack-downs and those that do occur are mostly symbolic. It gains the status that LSD did during the 60s and 70s. The most interesting and mind-warping part of the experience is the feeling of shared memories -- any memories that are triggered while connected are experienced by both parties, and often memories from one party trigger memories in the other, causing a chain reaction orgy of distorted memories where the origin is unclear. However, because of the way that memory retrieval involves memory re-encoding, it turns out that this process warps memories and inserts false memories as a side-effect of the normal distortion; this is not immediately clear to most users, because the distorted memories are subtle. However, years down the line, vivid shared memories of things that never happened (to *anyone*) become cultural touchstones and the substrate around which popular media is constructed -- and these memories are the result of a game of telephone played mostly in the heads of those few people who mind-melded with the largest number of other people; i.e., the super-connectors of the network of mind-meld enthusiasts passed on portions of a rapidly-mutating emergent synthetic set of remembered experiences that decades later became extremely important.

Meunster

The arrogant elite would just use it on their children and milk them for money and status.
Poe's law ;)

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

AN IDEA:
At it's deepest level a combination of Atlas Shrugged with the superspy genre; or more specifically the villains from the superspy genre. It tells the story of an insane genius supervillain, who, in this case is indeed literally insane in the strictest sense of being completely and totally out of touch with reality, in that his diabolical plan to destroy the world consists of literally doing nothing.

ANOTHER IDEA:
How about the story of a demonic posession told from the perspective of the posessing demon. (I got the idea while watching the movie "Beetlejuice" which I realized has boils down to the similar premise of being the story of a haunting told from the perspective of the ghosts)

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

An exploration of how colonization of Mars would necessarily in many ways be ironically like being back in the 17th, 18th or 19th centuries. The extremely long travel times, the non instantaneous communication, and even the very concept of a colony

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

It starts with a prediction that a great hero will rise up in he future to save the land from a vague future evil. Tests and contests are set up to determine preemptively who this prophecied chosen one may be by seeing who has the hero's prophecied attributes. These contests get severely out of hand however and threaten to bankrupt the kingdom and bring it's economy to a standstill. By the time the chosen one is found it becomes clear that the tests themselves were the evil which was foretold.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A military experiment wherein marines have orexin-a injected directly into their brains in order to test the limits of wakefulness has limited success and is discontinued. Ten years later, the relatively subtle damage done to their minds has finally, in conjunction with prolonged stress, caused them to be paranoid and delusional -- but during this time, because of the positive side effects of subtly greater wakefulness, they have all risen to positions of power. Now, they have become convinced of a plot against the government, and they stage a successful military coup during which their grasp on reality continues to slip away.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

An insurance investigator is sent to take a look at a particular children's cancer hospital where death rates are significantly higher than usual, and discovers that the doctors and administrators are being mind-controlled by the hospital's clowns, who are in fact disguised semi-humanoid aliens who are using the cancer patients to incubate their wormlike, parasitic larvae, with the eggs being introduced in the guise of chemotherapy and further 'treatments' actually modifying the patient's internal body chemistry to more closely resemble that of the now-extinct animal these aliens parasitized on their home planet.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A PUA group takes up the offer to rent a 'creepy remote cabin' from a poster on one of their messageboards; the poster claims that he will 'scare the pants off the chicks' by 'staging a demonic summoning'. These PUAs manage to net three sisters visiting nearby on spring break, and later on, discover they are underaged. The owner of the cabin actually summons a demon, and the demon kills all of the PUAs but leaves the girls untouched; it turns out that the girls were, in fact, the owners: the posting was a honey-trap and a means of finding people to sacrifice to Satan who the world could do without, in order to lift a curse on their family that for the past six hundred years has rendered them incapable of maturing past the physical age of sixteen.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on October 20, 2015, 09:19:11 PM
A PUA group takes up the offer to rent a 'creepy remote cabin' from a poster on one of their messageboards; the poster claims that he will 'scare the pants off the chicks' by 'staging a demonic summoning'. These PUAs manage to net three sisters visiting nearby on spring break, and later on, discover they are underaged. The owner of the cabin actually summons a demon, and the demon kills all of the PUAs but leaves the girls untouched; it turns out that the girls were, in fact, the owners: the posting was a honey-trap and a means of finding people to sacrifice to Satan who the world could do without, in order to lift a curse on their family that for the past six hundred years has rendered them incapable of maturing past the physical age of sixteen.

:fap:

Meunster

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on October 20, 2015, 09:19:11 PM

forever 16?

That's some weak ass curse.
Poe's law ;)