News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

ITT: Original Story Ideas

Started by Cramulus, May 11, 2009, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Furries try to save a forest by holding a Conservation-con there.

Evil corrupt corporate executives hire Christina Aguilera and Redman to drive them out.  And they do, in graphic detail.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on May 13, 2009, 03:20:46 PM

Evil corrupt corporate executives hire Christina Aguilera and Redman to drive them out.  And they do, in graphic detail.

Ok, this made me hot.  Of course.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Richter

An idealistic 18 year old is called upon to undertake a hero's journey, learn to use his mystical powers, and save the world, but refuses on the grounds that "saving" the world would only be allowing the continuance of stagnated tradition and unacceptable status quo. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

LMNO

It's like Candide, only more pessimistic!

AFK

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 13, 2009, 05:05:11 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 13, 2009, 03:22:46 PM
Heh, a Con-con. 

so if you'd go there, you'd be a two-con man?

And if you'r a liberal, it's a con-con-con.

I imagine they have those at Radio City. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on May 13, 2009, 02:57:59 PMthe theme is that once the barriers of space have been eliminated, separation between people will be eliminated. If you can have tea in a different city every day, how long can you keep that up before you get numb to the wonders of modern civilization? The new focus becomes creating new places to visit rather than visiting the old world.

I also wonder -- if people had teleporters, I wonder how adventurous they'd get. I know a lot of people here would want to go do some pretty awesome things if they could teleport anywhere in the world for free. But I have a feeling a lot of people would just visit their "dream vacation" spot every single day until they had assimilated it into their routine.

Depending on the technology, I'd be very hesitant to step into a teleporter. Even if chance of failure would be negligible (aka lte getting in a car crash).

Cause, call me weird, but with my regular personal belief of "mind/consciousness as an emergent property of the body", if you'd transport a person, atom by atom, breaking it down, digitizing it, sending and rebuilding it, physically completely equivalent, functioning exactly the same for everybody observing it, having the exact same memories etc.

but how would it "feel" or be experienced from the perspective of the consciousness that gets disintegrated to bits? there is no way, not even in theory, to tell (in a vaguely analogous sort of as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide -- but without the quantum)

and if you could do this, couldnt you also rebuild the person twice or even more? which one would be "real"? all of them right? so, how could you merge them again?  by throwing them both through a teleporter and only rebuilding one of them? wouldnt that be equivalent to just killing off the other?

however, if teleporting would consist of a sort of "portal" type technology that somehow stitches two parts of space together so you can pass through, I wouldn't have this issue with it, because you stay in one piece.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Richter

The story of a society where once the average age of the next generation reaches 18, they are expected to move 20 miles west and establish a new village / city on their own.  The plot follows a generation doing so, and their quest to define what kind of orgaization, structures, and lifetyle they want for themselves.
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Cainad (dec.)

One fateful day, for no discernible reason...

all caffeine stops working. No matter what the source, in this modern-day setting, caffeine becomes ineffective.

Hilarity ensues.

Cramulus

similar:

The Deity appears to every human being.

He says "Hi everybody! Yes I'm real. We're at the End Times now, and I'm changing the rules of morality so that killing is now considered Good. In fact, killing is now the only measure of goodness. And only 25% of you are going to get into heaven.

I'm also changing the way the material world works. No form of distance communication will function anymore, including TV, Radio, Internet, telegraph, whatever. Gunpowder, explosives, and gasoline are also now just as effective as water. You've got a week before I close up shop and turn off the lights, so have fun!"

seconds later I'm behind the building, sharpening a metal pole on the asphalt.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on May 13, 2009, 03:27:56 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 13, 2009, 03:20:46 PM

Ok, this made me hot.  Of course.

Sequel: Conservative Furry terrorists attempt to assassinate President Obama.

Who does the O-man call, to deal with this problem?

Who do you think?  8)

Richter

Quote from: Cramulus on May 13, 2009, 08:51:51 PM
similar:

The Deity appears to every human being.

He says "Hi everybody! Yes I'm real. We're at the End Times now, and I'm changing the rules of morality so that killing is now considered Good. In fact, killing is now the only measure of goodness. And only 25% of you are going to get into heaven.

I'm also changing the way the material world works. No form of distance communication will function anymore, including TV, Radio, Internet, telegraph, whatever. Gunpowder, explosives, and gasoline are also now just as effective as water. You've got a week before I close up shop and turn off the lights, so have fun!"

seconds later I'm behind the building, sharpening a metal pole on the asphalt.

:lulz:  Needs a :tears of joy:

Edit:  "Blood for the Blood God."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Richter on May 13, 2009, 09:09:36 PM
Edit:  "Blood for the Blood God."

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that a friend of mine worked this exact phrase into his Philosophy midterm paper. The teacher gave no comment and he got a B+.