News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

"Pinealism"

Started by Cramulus, May 14, 2009, 06:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

please add your thoughts to: http://discordia.wikia.com/wiki/Pinealist

The intent is to create a page that we can show to people when someone like minuspace or smokingoat spams the board with nonsense
--and then thinks we're being too stuffy when we don't appreciate it

but:
it shouldn't come off like "You must bow to the social pressure of your peers, n00b!"

I want to note that the text on the page is not "MY" opinion, it's what I gauge as the general opinion of people here. But I might be wrong, so

thoughts on the current page?
&&& please edit!

LMNO

I'll throw in my opinion.

Triple Zero

Great work! I think with some group effort we could really make this useful.

So I added in some 23 references, a stream of consciousness written during my last mushroom trip and then replaced every fifth word in the article with "fnord".

Am I doing it rite?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

fomenter

some of the discordia is not dada thread posts would fit there i like this one
Quote from: vexati0n on May 11, 2009, 06:46:32 PM
today's discordianism is a descendant of a (relatively small) movement of the same name that was spawned along with a lot of shit that in the magical, utopian* decades of the 1950s and 60s when free though blossomed, uninhibited by oppressive states or crusty groupthink*. because the original discordian thinkers were prolific writers, we can roughly gauge the similarities between the crap they cooked up and the crap we cook up now. conversely, because the original discordians were also prolific drug users and liars, we can never know for sure whether they actually had anything to say, had any reason for saying it, or were altogether just a bunch of grinning nunces with nothing better to do.

the question of what discordianism is now cannot be answered by tracing any lineage -- philosophical, religious, or otherwise -- back to a bunch of weirdos who are now either dead or reformed. the fact is that modern discordians see something in the works published over the previous 50 years under the title 'discordianism' that inspires us. it does not inspire us merely to continue a tradition of being absurd, or to simply mimic those works. it inspires us to continually wonder why things are what they are, why things aren't what they should be (or what they should be).

being that people are, in general, dumb animals with no sense or reason, it is understandable that discordianism ends up being compared (even equated) to "Dadaism," because the only thing people know about Dadaism anymore (if anything) is that it was absurd and meaningless. Neither of those things is true, of course, any more for Dadaism than it is for discordiamism. but that doesn't stop people from believing it. dadaism is only meaningless now because the culture and circumstances it was created to address are no longer prevalent. discordianism, on the other hand, is only meaningless because you're too dumb to understand it.

*[citation needed]
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Cramulus

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 14, 2009, 06:20:15 PM
Great work! I think with some group effort we could really make this useful.

So I added in some 23 references, a stream of consciousness written during my last mushroom trip and then replaced every fifth word in the article with "fnord".

Am I doing it rite?

:argh!: "Pinealism in Action"

Triple Zero

Actually I was being random so I flipped a coin and didnt end up doing it, demonstrating another pinealistic feature, Not Actually Doing Anything.

(I didnt really flip a coin either)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I added a bit.

Should "The Parable of Steve" go in there?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I added a bunch of text about stuff.

AFK

I added a bunch of fnords.  Did you guys see them all? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

Quote== In Defense of (Some) Pinealism ==

having some anti-anti-pinealism is a great idea

but to be fair, the points under that heading are not defenses of (some) pinealism

LMNO

FUK YOU, MAN!

But, really?  It pretty much says that there's nothing wrong with absurdity and nonsesne in themselves.

Cramulus

but ultimately it comes out against pinealism, yes? it is not a defense of pinealism, it's in defense of "good absurdity"

not disagreeing with the points, just the (dis)organization

LMNO

Ah.

Well, that's what the "edit" button is there for, I suppose.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quotethis "Pinealism" vs "Anti-Pinealism" discussion does not mean that there are "pinealist" and "anti pinealist" tribes of Discordians. behavior is mostly something observable on the internet in the context of certain forum threads. In the flesh, people socialize much differently.

That is beautiful LMNO.

I was just having a conversation earlier in the week with a few friends about Internet socialization. One of my friends, currently doing his Doctorate work for Psychology was ranting on the rampant abuse of terms from the DSM-IV. Particularly, in comments on blogs or forums. We've all seen some armchair psychologist diagnose someone's mental issues based off of a single post or a few posts and labels fly free "you're passive-agressive!" "Well, you're suffering from cognative dissonance!!" Eric ranted and raved about how it takes many, many years to grok those terms, then many more years of seeing many, many unique cases, before you can understand the diagnosis. Then you have to spend many sessions with an individual working through many aspects of their life before you can even think of applying one of those diagnoses to someone.

He concluded by pointing out that Internet Communication was not a good way to assess the human typing... at best it was a good way to assess how they interacted on the Internet. He also said, half jokingly, that he thought everyone on the Internet seemed to post as though they have a psychological disorder of some type.

I think that's just as true of the poor sods that get stuck in pinealism. I've met lots of human Discordians and I have never met one that says 23PINEALFNORDOMGZLAWLO5'SSTARBUCKSCUPISFILLEDWITHFROP. Well, except at SubGenius Devivals... and that's more art than person speaking ;-)

That being said, I have met some Discordians that are really, really into the old school metaphors. Yet, even the most 'pineal' of them seemed to like Intermittens and the BiP (though he also said it was too dark  :argh!: ).

I wonder, then, if 'pinealism' isn't a Discordian condition, as much as its just a Discordian example of inept internet communication styles that some individuals seem unable to get past.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Actually, that's not my quote.