News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

"Pinealism"

Started by Cramulus, May 14, 2009, 06:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on May 14, 2009, 08:01:28 PM
Actually, that's not my quote.

Well damn, I thought that was in your edit...

Well, nevermind then, Fuck You, your writing sucks donkey balls.  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on May 14, 2009, 08:07:19 PM
THAT'S THE SPIRIT!

That's what your mom said last night.

LMNO

Added an "examples of" section.  Cat~Maxwell makes a comeback.

Cain

You might want to mirror this at the BIP Wiki as well.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

The only thing I think feels odd to me, is that it lays this out as common among Discordian communities. It seems common here and among people that post here, but outside of this particular Cabal, I haven't seen the term Pinealist used in the way its used, nor have I seen much of the derision that is common here. I mean, if I hadn't decided to hang out at this particular forum, I would probably think whoever wrote that was on drugs of some sort.

the only other critique I can see is that it seems to impart a lot of 'beliefs' to the Pinealist, which I'm not sure is justified.

"Many Pinealists believe..." "A pinealist is also someone who thinks..." "The Pinealist typically fails to understand that "purpose" and "communication" are not at odds with Discordian principles"

Maybe those could be modified to something like "Many Pinealists behave as though..." Pinealists often act as though "purpose and communication are at odds with Discordian principles..."

I'm not trying to be e-primey here... I'm just trying to make sure it educates, rather than provide "But, I don't think that and am therefore not a Pinealist" kind of responses.

Feel free to ignore this, as my opinions on this topic are generally in the minority ;-)

LMNO

Actually, toning down the preachiness may indeed be a good idea.

Telarus

Agreed, focus on the behavior, not on theorizing about the motivation behind it.

Oh, and I copied pages 00049 and 00050 to the "Eristic Illusion" page..... but it should probably just be redirected to "Sacred Chao".
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on May 14, 2009, 08:34:59 PM
Actually, toning down the preachiness may indeed be a good idea.

Perhaps the 'stereotyping' if I can use that word... ie the generalization about "Pinealists" based on 'pinealist' posts in which one assumes the person is trying to be absurd. If the article basically says "When a person behaves as a pinealist, they tend to project the attitude that they believe/think/are..."

As said before, in real life people don't behave that way. In real life a pinealist can usefully communicate (and if they have Discordian friends, they can usefully communicate with them)... So it may not be that the think/believe/are... but that they communicate on the Internet in a way which makes them appear to think/believe.

Maybe that would provide a potential pinealist with a bit of a mirror... a "Wait, I don't think that!" and maybe they would consider how their posts make them appear... of course, its also possible that they'll just edit the Wiki to say PINEAL five thousand twenty three times.

Quote from: Telarus on May 14, 2009, 08:41:48 PM
Agreed, focus on the behavior, not on theorizing about the motivation behind it.

Yeah that's the ticket Telarus!!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OK, I edited mine. :)

As an aside, I have met people who were "IRL pinealists" and they are about 90 billion times more annoying IRL than they are online. Sweet merciful fuck.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

the last yatto

and if they have Discordian friends, they can usefully communicate with them or not  :oops:

I think alot of it comes down to something i noticed  wip had about it.
she couldnt understand why you really cant use belief and discordian in the same sentance.
to her believes are a set of principles; faith is the shinny things in front of me.
maybe its the sparkle of the object or idea,
one such pineapple has in his universe that swirls around knocking other planets out of the way,
in its quest of whatever added gravity to the thought. othertimes it comes down to just having too much cheerios.

maybe its a flaw of the original book to include principle in the prefix? after all, doesnt really encourage you to eat your own words.
coming from a guideline of a holybook to one that lets you believe whatever you wish to be true. tends to encourage them to eat the menu since they have been hungry for so so very long.

either way watch out for the vegetable cart or fuck off
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

One thing I object to WRT to Rat's points was that there is, IMO, a difference between a pinealist and someone who is just whacked out. The difference is that the Pinealist is, by definition, TRYING to appear whacked out.

It's the trying that puts them in that category for me. If they are completely capable of writing coherently and normally, but CHOOSE to switch to balls-out incomprehension when they post here, they're trying. They're doing it on purpose to be "Discordian".

It's those people I want to address... not the Manley Hubbels of the world.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Nigel on May 14, 2009, 09:33:14 PM
One thing I object to WRT to Rat's points was that there is, IMO, a difference between a pinealist and someone who is just whacked out. The difference is that the Pinealist is, by definition, TRYING to appear whacked out.

It's the trying that puts them in that category for me. If they are completely capable of writing coherently and normally, but CHOOSE to switch to balls-out incomprehension when they post here, they're trying. They're doing it on purpose to be "Discordian".

It's those people I want to address... not the Manley Hubbels of the world.

Well... imo, most Pinealists seem to be just that. They're trying to be edgy, absurd etc. However, at least in my opinion and experience, the actions are not necessarily caused by the motivation (thanks for the right word Telarus) supposed in the Wiki.

Due to their difficult-to-parse posting style, the Pinealist usually comes across as failing to understand that "purpose" and "communication" are not at odds with Discordian principles. In what appears to be enthusiasm to show their Discordianism via nonsensical posts, they are actually undermining the purpose of most Discordian online gatherings... communication. Sadly, the nonsense-spouting Pinealist, by succumbing to a Discordian stereotype, is defeated by the Aneristic forces they likely hope to oppose. Sameness, predictability, and lack of independent thought reflect the power of Greyfaced principles just as clearly in the form of deliberate nonsense as they do in the form of deliberate seriousness. The Pinealist, perhaps naively unaware that by "trying" to be silly they are placing themselves firmly in a Greyfaced pigeonhole, is not actually engaging in Creative Disorder, as they probably hope to do, but in fact is sowing the seeds of Destructive Order, because Planned Disorder is Order disguised as Disorder, and Premeditated Nonsense is destructive to Creativity.

I think that is very clear and not inferring cause or motivation. Rather its observing the acts and the perception of people seeing the acts. The italicized bits particularly seem to strike a much better tone... to me anyway.

Telarus

pretty good.

Edited to flow a little better, and to include "un-self-critical" in front of "deliberate".
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

chaoflux

the pinealist underground will soon emerge and devour you all.

anyways, this has much more to do with you all being veterans than it does about a dysfunction of someone else.

if someone still thinks old musty crap is funny and cut ups are teh revolution, isn't there at least a tiny bit of innocence there? It it immediately a scourge that must be wiped clean from your pristine and 110% hilarious internets? Doesn't this come with the territory? Is there a Discordian Illuminated Adepts wiki entry to follow this one?

IMO, you all would be better served if you had a sub-board on here to throw all the nonsense psuedo-dada posts into rather finding ever more ways to classify those who are doing it wrong. I'm sure our zealous admins wouldn't mind the extra task and only relish the opportunity.

Perhaps it is only because I prefer minimalism, and this drawn out thing just smacks of old wounds. "If you are less funny that you are annoying, you just might be a pinealist." Thats all you really need. Although the Monthy Python thing is good, tbh thats why I've writ off the online Discordian community for years on end, since that was all I came across. This place is much better than that, usually.

I think there is something to be said for those who are highly sensitive anti-pinealists as well, but thats a whole different can of worms.
yall are bigger dorks than I am