News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

"Pinealism"

Started by Cramulus, May 14, 2009, 06:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I  hate this page: http://jubal.westnet.com/hyperdiscordia/eristic_escalation.html

Chaos is both order and disorder. This page isn't even consistent within the already sketchy area of Discordian philosophy, let alone anyone else's. I think it may have something valid to communicate, but it's so poorly written that it fails to do so.

I bring it up because it's linked to from the pinealism wiki page, and I don't think it adds anything to the topic, and is also a complete piece of shit.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

Quote from: Nigel on May 15, 2009, 05:01:26 PM
I  hate this page: http://jubal.westnet.com/hyperdiscordia/eristic_escalation.html

Chaos is both order and disorder. This page isn't even consistent within the already sketchy area of Discordian philosophy, let alone anyone else's. I think it may have something valid to communicate, but it's so poorly written that it fails to do so.

I bring it up because it's linked to from the pinealism wiki page, and I don't think it adds anything to the topic, and is also a complete piece of shit.

you're totally right - where should it point instead?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Probably here: http://discordia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Law_of_Eristic_Escalation

Though it's essentially the same article, it can be edited to be more concise and accurate. I'll probably work on that today.

Except, holy shit, it's so fucked-up I don't know where to begin. In almost every case, "chaos" is being used where they meant "disorder". The whole fucking thing is a confused philosophical nightmare apparently written by children, and needs to be thrown out and rewritten from scratch.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Nigel on May 15, 2009, 06:42:29 PM

Though it's essentially the same article, it can be edited to be more concise and accurate. I'll probably work on that today.

Except, holy shit, it's so fucked-up I don't know where to begin. In almost every case, "chaos" is being used where they meant "disorder". The whole fucking thing is a confused philosophical nightmare apparently written by children, and needs to be thrown out and rewritten from scratch.

AH HA! Beat ya to it! I just came over here to recommend doing that after I reworked it a wee bit, I'm sure it could use further help. Lots of it is still pretty damn sloppy. Also, what the fuck is up with the Amendments? They're all kinda saying the same thing and doing it poorly IMO. Maybe we could collapse it to say something like "many Discordian Cabals have various amendments noting seeming correlations between the length of a period of Order or Disorder and it's attendant opposite" or something like that. I dunno.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

"A Discordian shalt not write intelligibly, because, uh, fnord and stuff".

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on May 15, 2009, 07:25:18 PM
"A Discordian shalt not write intelligibly, because, uh, fnord and stuff, unless it really is funny to most people".

Fixed for Buddah's Ghost Penis.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

And yet, the Discordians that they're trying to imitate often wrote quite intelligibly. Thornley was nuts... and said wildly nutty things, but he said them intentionally (with the paranoid ramblings excepted). Of exceptional quality, for example:
Thus the Nonprophet speaks:

As an early Church Father of the Discordian religion, I am often slapped with paternity suits. No, seriously, I am often called upon to settle points of doctrine, such as "Please tell So-and-So that he or she doesn't understand Discordianism, and I do."

In the first place, how do you know So-and-So doesn't understand Discordianism, if you don't even know what sex he or she is? And what is all this shit about who does or does not understand Discordianism? Who the hell cares?

If Discordianism was meant to be understood, it would be like Zen Buddhism. The greatest of all Discordians, Malaclypse the Younger, doesn't understand anything whatsoever about the religion he co-founded.

Only I, Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst, Bullgoose of the Discordian Orthodoxy, can really tell you what it's all about. And why should I? After all, I don't even know what sex you are. Moreover, Discordians are warned against personal contact with one another. Any theology to which I made significant contributions is going to attract plenty of screwballs.

Then again, if you want to spend the rest of your life arguing with some nut who believes flying saucers are only the first wave, to be followed soon by flying cups, that's your business. Why should I care if you get involved with the Manson Family or become a brainwashed zombie in a cult run by a crackpot who calls himself the Nine-Legged Jesus?

There's plenty of nonsense and absurdity there... but its constructed into a creative work, not simply puked out with no semantic value.

Even Bob's worst stuff has intention... Joyce did it better, but at least RAW was not simply letting random gibberish replace communication.

LMNO

Well...

...but I agree with your point.  And RAW put it in a context of "creative literature", at least. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ratatosk on May 15, 2009, 07:10:36 PM

AH HA! Beat ya to it! I just came over here to recommend doing that after I reworked it a wee bit, I'm sure it could use further help. Lots of it is still pretty damn sloppy. Also, what the fuck is up with the Amendments? They're all kinda saying the same thing and doing it poorly IMO. Maybe we could collapse it to say something like "many Discordian Cabals have various amendments noting seeming correlations between the length of a period of Order or Disorder and it's attendant opposite" or something like that. I dunno.

It's looking a lot better already, actually. I tweaked a little and you tweaked a little. There are some sections, as you mentioned, that aren't really tweakable and should just be scrapped, but I know that could cause butthurt so I'm trying to tread lightly.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ratatosk on May 15, 2009, 07:31:04 PM

And yet, the Discordians that they're trying to imitate often wrote quite intelligibly. Thornley was nuts... and said wildly nutty things, but he said them intentionally (with the paranoid ramblings excepted). Of exceptional quality, for example:

As an early Church Father of the Discordian religion, I am often slapped with paternity suits. No, seriously, I am often called upon to settle points of doctrine, such as "Please tell So-and-So that he or she doesn't understand Discordianism, and I do."

In the first place, how do you know So-and-So doesn't understand Discordianism, if you don't even know what sex he or she is? And what is all this shit about who does or does not understand Discordianism? Who the hell cares?

If Discordianism was meant to be understood, it would be like Zen Buddhism. The greatest of all Discordians, Malaclypse the Younger, doesn't understand anything whatsoever about the religion he co-founded.

Only I, Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst, Bullgoose of the Discordian Orthodoxy, can really tell you what it's all about. And why should I? After all, I don't even know what sex you are. Moreover, Discordians are warned against personal contact with one another. Any theology to which I made significant contributions is going to attract plenty of screwballs.

Then again, if you want to spend the rest of your life arguing with some nut who believes flying saucers are only the first wave, to be followed soon by flying cups, that's your business. Why should I care if you get involved with the Manson Family or become a brainwashed zombie in a cult run by a crackpot who calls himself the Nine-Legged Jesus?

There's plenty of nonsense and absurdity there... but its constructed into a creative work, not simply puked out with no semantic value.

Even Bob's worst stuff has intention... Joyce did it better, but at least RAW was not simply letting random gibberish replace communication.

Amen!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Nigel on May 15, 2009, 07:48:30 PM

It's looking a lot better already, actually. I tweaked a little and you tweaked a little. There are some sections, as you mentioned, that aren't really tweakable and should just be scrapped, but I know that could cause butthurt so I'm trying to tread lightly.

Mmmmm, me and you and butthurt.

Sounds like a weekend to me!!!!!!  :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ratatosk on May 15, 2009, 07:51:01 PM
Quote from: Nigel on May 15, 2009, 07:48:30 PM

Mmmmm, me and you and butthurt.

Sounds like a weekend to me!!!!!!  :lulz:

:lulz:

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on May 15, 2009, 07:47:33 PM
Well...

...but I agree with your point.  And RAW put it in a context of "creative literature", at least. 

Not to mention RAW was also an editor for Playboy and wrote several non-fiction books which are pretty readable.  Thornley also earned a living as a writer.

What makes it sad is that a middling level writer, like me, looks like fucking Proust when compared to some of these "inspired" jabberings and I'm nowhere near good enough to do this for a living (I do get paid, but only a nominal sum), so they're really, really wide of the mark if they're trying to imitate Thornley and RAW.

Cain

Quote from: Ratatosk on May 15, 2009, 07:31:04 PM

:potd:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Holy crap. Will someone help me with this page? It's terrible.

http://discordia.wikia.com/wiki/Consequence_of_Eristic_Escalation#The_law_of_Consequence

I am becoming increasingly convinced that most of the wiki was written by 15-year-olds who just read the PD for the first time.