News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

The Security of Women and the Security of States

Started by Cain, May 18, 2009, 05:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Didn't really know where to drop this, so I'm going to put it in here:

http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/publication/18797/heart_of_the_matter.html?breadcrumb=%2Ftopic%2F98%2Fcorruption

QuoteDoes the security of women influence the security and behavior of states? Existing evidence linking the situation of women to state-level variables such as economic prosperity and growth, health, and corruption is fairly conclusive. Questions remain, however, concerning the degree to which state security and state security-related behavior is linked to the security of women. The "women and peace" thesis draws upon evolutionary biology/psychology for ultimate causes of this linkage, and sociological theories of social diffusion and psychological theories of social learning for more proximate causal mechanisms. Together, a new data resource -- the WomanStats Database -- and conventional methodology find a robust, positive relationship between the physical security of women and three measures of state security and peacefulness. In addition, a comparison of this proposition to alternative explanations involving level of democracy, level of economic development, and civilizational identity shows that the physical security of women is a better predictor of state security and peacefulness. Although these results are preliminary, it is still possible to conclude that the security of women must not be overlooked in the study of state security, especially given that the research questions to be raised and the policy initiatives to be considered in the promotion of security will differ markedly if the security of women is seriously considered as a significant influence on state security.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on May 18, 2009, 05:57:45 PM
Didn't really know where to drop this, so I'm going to put it in here:

http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/publication/18797/heart_of_the_matter.html?breadcrumb=%2Ftopic%2F98%2Fcorruption

QuoteDoes the security of women influence the security and behavior of states? Existing evidence linking the situation of women to state-level variables such as economic prosperity and growth, health, and corruption is fairly conclusive. Questions remain, however, concerning the degree to which state security and state security-related behavior is linked to the security of women. The "women and peace" thesis draws upon evolutionary biology/psychology for ultimate causes of this linkage, and sociological theories of social diffusion and psychological theories of social learning for more proximate causal mechanisms. Together, a new data resource -- the WomanStats Database -- and conventional methodology find a robust, positive relationship between the physical security of women and three measures of state security and peacefulness. In addition, a comparison of this proposition to alternative explanations involving level of democracy, level of economic development, and civilizational identity shows that the physical security of women is a better predictor of state security and peacefulness. Although these results are preliminary, it is still possible to conclude that the security of women must not be overlooked in the study of state security, especially given that the research questions to be raised and the policy initiatives to be considered in the promotion of security will differ markedly if the security of women is seriously considered as a significant influence on state security.

So if we keep them barefoot, pregnant, in the kitchen and SAFE... then we won't have any more wars!!!!!

I just knew those Women Libbers were the cause of all our problems!

(Now I'll go read the article ;-) )
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Honey

Very interesting read.  Thanks & respect.  You might want to take a look at this for a snapshot of US.  I thought it was interesting. 

US States Crime 2004 -2005 Crimes per 100,000 and State Ranking
(Includes Puerto Rico and  District of Columbia)

Violent crime
Murder and nonnegligent manslaughter
Forcible rape
Robbery Aggravated assault
Property crime
Burglary
Larceny-theft
Motor vehicle theft

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/US_States_Rate_Ranking.html
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Rumckle

It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Honey

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on May 19, 2009, 01:18:45 PM
Quote from: Honey on May 19, 2009, 11:50:18 AM
Forcible rape

Isn't rape forcible by definition?

Lemme guess?  You're from Alaska?

May I express my utter amazement y'even read this at all?  Now THAT would be a Surprise!  Tickled pink too by the dazzling comment!  Simply scintillating!  Especially as the usual fluffy ones take the form of the brilliant & witty tl;dr & DUH nile.  Call me proud, you nice old lady!  You go girl!

& I'm not sure if they're counting the prison (black iron or otherwise) rapes as forcible or even counting them at all.  I'm quite sure if you spend any time at all in prison, you'll learn that difference right quick!  & the rest, as they say, will be history, bloody history!  I say!  Now that WOULD be nice, a blessing in disguise even, the answer to your prayers for enlightenment!  Bully for you! 

& Cain?  I'm sorry, I didn't realize my comment was going to distract.  I hope people will read but that may asking too much.  I did read & I do appreciate.
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Honey

Prelate Diogenes Shandor?  I'm sorry for over-reacting to your question.  I was frustrated by a wild goose chase & the ensuing orwellian doublethink, duckspeak, blackwhite yatta yatta blah.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Newspeak_words

Please forgive me?  & I hope you got the answer to your question.

& again, my sincerest apology to Cain. 
Fuck the status quo!

-Bertrand Russell