News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Regarding The Calendar: What happened to weekends? I really want to know.

Started by 06gforty, May 18, 2009, 09:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

nah, it's so when someone looks at my calendar they're like, "dude."

LMNO

Chapter 61:

A successful cabal is like a dust cloud,
rising from nowhere, ungraspable, fading into nothingness.
The tallest blade of grass gets cut,
while the crab grass creeps unharmed.
Keep your head down.
Keep your fucking mouth shut.

Thus by concentrating on goals
without playing ego games,
much can be accomplished.
If all you want to do
is brag about how cool you are,
you might want learn to play the guitar, instead.

Appropriate section in bold.

Cain

Or make dopeass calendars.

Its pretty much like playing the guitar.

Cramulus

Quote from: LMNO on May 27, 2009, 01:29:00 PM
Chapter 61:

A successful cabal is like a dust cloud,
rising from nowhere, ungraspable, fading into nothingness.
The tallest blade of grass gets cut,
while the crab grass creeps unharmed.
Keep your head down.
Keep your fucking mouth shut.

Thus by concentrating on goals
without playing ego games,
much can be accomplished.
If all you want to do
is brag about how cool you are,
you might want learn to play the guitar, instead.

Appropriate section in bold.

are you srsly telling me "ur doing it wrong"??

LMNO

Cain

Actually, he was.

When he says he's "just fucking with you" that is in fact a self-referential sentence meaning his denial is meant to fuck with you, by clouding his intentions.

LMNO

Shouldn't you be writing more of the Discordian Art of War, or something?

...Oh, wait.  You're doing that right now...

Cain

LMNO

Cain

There is a picture of "Rule 34" fucking itself, somewhere.  I just cannot remember where.

LMNO

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on May 27, 2009, 01:24:12 PM
Or, you could realize that the whole purpose for the Discordian Calendar is to jolt your mind into realizing how arbitrary our deliniation of time is, how we accept without thinking that our lives are separated into 7 day cycles...

...and trying to lay the Discordian Calendar over the Gregorian to make them "fit" actually runs counter to the whole point of the excercise.

well yes that was the point of the initial exercise.

dunno if it was the whole purpose, though.

either way, it does not matter, because by judicious thinking for ourselves, we came to the conclusion that there is something nifty about having 5 days in a week and the leapday "outside" of the calendar, because it makes the weeks line up, and all the months have the same length.

now I'd love to check out this seeming elegance for myself by jumping right in and starting to use the discordian calendar for all my planning. unfortunately, this planning often depends heavily on something I call "the rest of the world", that use the Gregorian. So to ensure the experiment doesn't fail right at the start, coming up with some kind of scheme to plan both in Gregorian and GregHillian at the same time, seems necessary. Also it allows a more immediate comparison.

and you're doing it wrong!

oh btw, you're also sort of right, because this calendar discussion popped up, i ended up explaining the Discordian calendar to some people, and all of them, first thing they asked is "but that sucks! no weekend!? or do you only have one day off out of five now?" (whereas the answer is obvious)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Verbal Mike

The best answer is "no, I still have two days off every week, meaning I only have three days ON now".
This is the thinking that led me to adopting the calendar back when I did. :)
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.