News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Regarding The Calendar: What happened to weekends? I really want to know.

Started by 06gforty, May 18, 2009, 09:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

06gforty

There are only five days. Are they 24 hours long? presumably not...

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

Quote from: 06gforty on May 18, 2009, 09:33:33 PM

why not a 24 hour day? there's 365 of them

except on leap year

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Weekends are a Con by the Man. Everyday should be a day free of the eight hour grind... weekends however, compartmentalize the week into Work/Not Work times for the majority of people. This is a False Duality.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

06gforty

Quote from: Cramulus on May 18, 2009, 09:54:33 PM
Quote from: 06gforty on May 18, 2009, 09:33:33 PM

why not a 24 hour day? there's 365 of them

except on leap year

This means that...Oh. Weeks don't exist. I get it. Thanks, People. And yes, I do know of the law of 5's. But cheers.

Verbal Mike

For a while (incidentally around when I first arrived here) I managed my work (self-unemployed, if you will) using that calendar, and set a couple of arbitrary no-work and no-paid-work days for myself... The rhythm of it was actually way more natural to me than the 7-day rhythm, but it turned out it was impractical to live on a separate calendar from the rest of the world (duhhh)
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Crazzee

Quote from: VERB` on May 18, 2009, 10:25:31 PM
For a while (incidentally around when I first arrived here) I managed my work (self-unemployed, if you will) using that calendar, and set a couple of arbitrary no-work and no-paid-work days for myself... The rhythm of it was actually way more natural to me than the 7-day rhythm, but it turned out it was impractical to live on a separate calendar from the rest of the world (duhhh)
Living on both calendars works quite well. I can't do what you did, though, because I'm just a simple school child, y'know.
>_>

Triple Zero

Basically, you take 1,2,3,4 or 5 days off from the discordian week, depending on how much you want to work.

It's not really that hard.

And what do you mean "weeks don't exist" ?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

I think the problem is that he(?) is using the traditional calendar to try to understand the Discordian calendar.

That because the Discordian calendar doesn't have 7 day weeks there are no weeks.  When of course the more obvious answer is, well duh, the weeks are 5 days.  And that means there aren't 52 weeks, there are 73.  It's just different math, is all. 

06gforty

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 19, 2009, 12:00:39 PM
I think the problem is that he(?) is using the traditional calendar to try to understand the Discordian calendar.

That because the Discordian calendar doesn't have 7 day weeks there are no weeks.  When of course the more obvious answer is, well duh, the weeks are 5 days.  And that means there aren't 52 weeks, there are 73.  It's just different math, is all. 

Thanks for clearing it up, again. So how there's still 24  hours in a day?
And yeah, I did use the gregorian.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: 06gforty on May 19, 2009, 06:30:10 PM

23 hours, fifty-nine minutes and 55 seconds... plus an extra 5 seconds for the law of fives.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

Because while the Discordian Calendar is neat, it wasn't so ground breaking that it altered the Earth's rotation on its axis. 

LMNO

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 19, 2009, 06:37:10 PM

Because while the Discordian Calendar is neat, it wasn't so ground breaking that it altered the Earth's rotation on its axis. 

:mittens:

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman