Regarding The Calendar: What happened to weekends? I really want to know.

Started by 06gforty, May 18, 2009, 09:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazzee

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 19, 2009, 06:37:10 PM
Quote from: 06gforty on May 19, 2009, 06:30:10 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 19, 2009, 12:00:39 PM
I think the problem is that he(?) is using the traditional calendar to try to understand the Discordian calendar.

That because the Discordian calendar doesn't have 7 day weeks there are no weeks.  When of course the more obvious answer is, well duh, the weeks are 5 days.  And that means there aren't 52 weeks, there are 73.  It's just different math, is all. 

Thanks for clearing it up, again. So how there's still 24  hours in a day?
And yeah, I did use the gregorian.
Because while the Discordian Calendar is neat, it wasn't so ground breaking that it altered the Earth's rotation on its axis. 
:mittens:
>_>

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 19, 2009, 06:37:10 PM
I think the problem is that he(?) is using the traditional calendar to try to understand the Discordian calendar.

That because the Discordian calendar doesn't have 7 day weeks there are no weeks.  When of course the more obvious answer is, well duh, the weeks are 5 days.  And that means there aren't 52 weeks, there are 73.  It's just different math, is all. 

Because while the Discordian Calendar is neat, it wasn't so ground breaking that it altered the Earth's rotation on its axis. 

What kind of impotent religion can't alter the laws of Nature???
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bu🤠ns

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

the last yatto

Discordian calendar.
Quote from: Hoopla on May 19, 2009, 10:39:32 PM
I'm still trying.  Give me time.

ITS THE ONLY CALENDER THAT DOES NT NEED TO BE UPDATED EVERY YEAR, are you tired of having to write birthdays on all your new calenders, do you dread the day after new years where you must toss out all that paper from your last years date book. this exiled piece of love that helped you with your problems is now discarted like some cheap whore, that CUTE KITTAH that reminded you to just hang in there last april is now just toss into recycle with until you see all that personal information you left for anyone to see but you dint have a shredder so you are now forced to buy a paper screamer from office depot because your OLD calender IS INFERIOR
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

AFK

Actually, I just use my Outlook calendar.  No paper necessary. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cainad (dec.)

Um, you add extra weeks. 73 weeks instead of 52.

365 is divisible by 5, you know.

365 / 5 = 73

So there's no need to change the number of hours in the day.

Triple Zero

Quote from: wakko on May 22, 2009, 05:55:57 PM
Discordian calendar.
Quote from: Hoopla on May 19, 2009, 10:39:32 PM
I'm still trying.  Give me time.

ITS THE ONLY CALENDER THAT DOES NT NEED TO BE UPDATED EVERY YEAR, are you tired of having to write birthdays on all your new calenders, do you dread the day after new years where you must toss out all that paper from your last years date book. this exiled piece of love that helped you with your problems is now discarted like some cheap whore, that CUTE KITTAH that reminded you to just hang in there last april is now just toss into recycle with until you see all that personal information you left for anyone to see but you dint have a shredder so you are now forced to buy a paper screamer from office depot because your OLD calender IS INFERIOR

this is actually a pretty good point, and one in which our regular calender sucks goat asses.

the discordian calendar has the nice property that it has an exact number of weeks (73) that make up an entire year. and leap day (aka St Tibb's day) just gets squeezed in if it happens that year, or not, but doesnt count as a week day.

therefore, if you'd use a Discordian day/week/year planner, you could buy one at any moment of the year, and not worry about pages with wasted weeks that are already past, or that you'll have to wait a couple of weeks before your planner starts. just start at today's date, and when you hit the end of the year, go back to page one, the weekdays will always line up.

our current system just means more money for the people that make calendars and planners, it's a conspiracy ;-)

but really, this week-lining-up property of the Discordian calendar is pretty cool in the sense that, if you'd wanted a Discordian week planner for a year, you would only have to design it once, and could print off a new one every year, since it would be the same every year :) [I'd just add a list of leap years on St Tibb's day so you can either cross it out or not]
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

yeah that's a good point. The Discordian calendar, however, has this property:

Louie XIV: Hey cram, what are you doing this weekend?
Cram: [squinting at his calendar] errrr which ones are weekends again....?

you know what'd be useful? A Discordian calendar that hiighlighted Saturday / Sundays. And maybe a different color to mark the first day of a gregorian month. It would probably look kind of cool too, because the highlights would make a visual pattern on the page.

Triple Zero

Except, in that case, you'd need a new one every year, again.

But yeah it would be useful to also know the regular date and day.

Stupid regular calendar...
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Verbal Mike

Maybe add the "real" dates upside-down in small print at the bottom of each day-box
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

the last yatto

couldn't the day of the week be written in hodge-podge font

so even if it wasnt the current year youd remember the symbols for saturday for that given year

ITS LIKE MUSICAL CHAIRS except for days of the week

Triple Zero

Cramulus

symbols or colors... and yeah, you have a key at the top of the month where you pencil in what the code means... This year Tuesdays are marked with a little Zarathud....

good thinking!

LMNO

Or, you could realize that the whole purpose for the Discordian Calendar is to jolt your mind into realizing how arbitrary our deliniation of time is, how we accept without thinking that our lives are separated into 7 day cycles...

...and trying to lay the Discordian Calendar over the Gregorian to make them "fit" actually runs counter to the whole point of the excercise.