News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Suijin is a clock-maker.

Started by Epimetheus, June 01, 2009, 02:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimetheus

Suijin is a clock-maker. He does not normally lead people to know anything past that little piece of professional information. The truth is truly intriguing. What Suijin does as a clock-maker is not only the creation of clocks in a strictly literal sense. Suijin is a sly genius. He, through the clock, controls the time. I do not know how old he is, but he looks to be about 40 years old. I do not know where he is from although I must theorize that it is China, as he has a Chinese name and slight Chinese accent. That being said, when I have seen him he has only spoken English.

Without realizing it, all of his clients for the last ten years have come under his influence because of the clocks. First, he designs the clock so that it is aesthetically attractive, and much more so than any of the other clocks the client uses regularly. Suijin does this, though, in a skilled way that will mean, when the client starts using the clock, he will subconsciously start to trust the clock of Suijin's creation more than any other, because its appearance is like warm cocoa in front of a fire on a cold day. That is actually how Suijin described one of his clocks to me – He describes all of his clocks like that; usually they have to do with creating or negating some cultural cliché or archetype to bring very vague pleasure to the client's mind.

Through this method, Suijin has brought a few notable members of society under his grasp. The clockwork mechanism in the clock can be controlled by Suijin, or else it is set with a pattern to go on – but anyway, by changing the speed of the clock, Suijin can alter the behavior of his clients. One of his clients was the singer and leader of a fairly popular Japanese band. Suijin says that he essentially created the band's subsequent album by controlling the leader's emotions and creative impulses with the clock. There are other examples of this, but they are less ambiguous and I would rather not reveal them.

Suijin is a clock-maker. That's all he is. I have never met him, nor have I seen or heard him. He does not exist in physical reality. One must exist as a prerequisite for being a clock-maker, yeah? Then how is he a clock-maker? But he is.

Suijin is a clock-maker. He made me a clock which is handheld and portable. I keep it in the inside pocket of my jacket. I have to simultaneously try not to be influenced by it, and make sure I don't get paranoid about being influenced by it...I do not know which one is a more legitimate plan, which one is more grounded in reality. I think it is a game between us that he initiated by offering to make me the clock. If it is not, am I crazy? If it is, am I sane for realizing it? If neither has been confirmed at all, and reality can travel either path through time and both are therefore equally possible, am I sane or crazy? If you think about what Schrödinger deduced, I am in a way in a mixed state of existence combining both sanity and crazy, while they are both separate. It is not an in-between, half-sane half-crazy state, but rather it is both total sanity without any craziness and total craziness without any sanity at the same time.

You're crazy. Who have you been imagining for the name Suijin? I don't know why you imagined such a person. Suijin is not a real person. I am sane for knowing it, but you are weak for submitting to my words' dominion over your cognitive process. Gullible? No, I think weak is more accurate. But how strong you are to come right out of it and drink these new words so quickly! However, the fact that you have done so simply shows further desperation...You are desperate but you are also adaptable and changing, always changing. We think you are changing, at least, but the truth is you are a puppet on the strings of the all-controlling clock-maker, God. Suijin is God. I don't believe God has a physical presence in our fast-paced and trivial material reality, which is to say I don't believe God exists... I suppose Suijin is just a clock-maker. But he only exists as much as God does, because they are both simultaneously fictional and real in minds. Suijin is real in my mind and in your mind, although the image in your mind of Suijin is weaker than the image in my mind. This is because words are a shoddy substitute for direct telepathic communication. If only the radio waves coming from my brain could be directed to yours! But I do not know where or when you are, in other words, your coordinates. I must use words as a funnel for the thoughts...But I have to shoot them through the skinny end, and they are coming out the wider end; therefore less get in, and when they come out they spread so far apart that very few of the original thoughts get into your head when you finally read the words.

Suijin is a clock-maker. Do you realize that you are looking at splatters of ink on a thin flat piece of cellulose pulp* and getting ideas out of nowhere by thinking that they mean something? In other words, ideas or thoughts that you quite probably would never have had in your entire life are spontaneously made to pop into your mind because you have the crazy delusion in your head that these ink splatters have semantic meaning and you allow them to be equivalent to images, or first words, then images. But I will not deride you for your incapabilities.

Remember Suijin? That was actually many years ago that I related his story to you. I have been talking to you for years, and you are Rip Van Winkle – what world will you wake up to? When you do, will Suijin be in complete control?
As you can understand, I just asked questions that only apply to real situations about fictional situations, and beforehand I had put you into that fictional situation. Right now you are there in that fiction, fictionally. But you are also clearly in this reality, really. So, which of you is more real, or important?  The fictional fiction or the real reality?
Suijin is only a clock-maker.
Let's leave now, Suijin.
好.

*In this case, the correct description would be automatically displayed sequences and patterns of light on a much larger, but still flat and thin, field of the very same light.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I liked it, but Roger is right; you need to add blank lines between paragraphs to make it more readable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Perfect! It reads much better, and the visual separation gives each paragraph more impact.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I really like this: "I must use words as a funnel for the thoughts...But I have to shoot them through the skinny end, and they are coming out the wider end; therefore less get in, and when they come out they spread so far apart that very few of the original thoughts get into your head when you finally read the words."