News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

What is Discordianism? Take Two.

Started by Scribbly, June 02, 2009, 06:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

WTF?

A thread about what Discordianism "is" without people getting snippy and whining "UR DOING IT WRONG!"? This is a thing unheard of!

Rumckle

Quote from: Cainad on June 03, 2009, 03:14:24 AM
people getting snippy and whining "UR DOING IT WRONG!"?

This is what Discordia is.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Triple Zero

Is there anything about pranks in the PD?

Even if there isn't, pranks are for me a real important part of discordia. I googled "RIP LOLCAT" last week, got 15k hits and was like HELL YEAH

Even if Improv Everywhere or the Yes Men sometimes pwn the fuck out of little old us, I love the idea of just pranking for pranking for the hell of a religion of it.

And all the philosophy thinking stuff .. well I didnt exactly come looking for it, cause I thought I had it elsewhere as well, but this place showed me how to do it without navel staring, or getting all atheist fundie, or mystic, or magical, etc etc--which I didnt know I had been missing.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

To me it boils down to the idea that those armed with themselves have the best shot at surviving in this world.  I of course don't mean, literally, surviving.  In fact, I think those armed with themselves would tend to be more apt to have a sense of humor still intact as well. 

And the bits about reality grids speak to that idea.  Nonsense as Salvation, the Sermon on Ethics and Love, Starbucks Pebbles.

It's about raising awareness of your awareness (or lack thereof).  And yes, absurdity and the holistic nonsense are one of those tools.  They are the crowbars that pry open the box you are in, to let a little sunshine in to illuminate those corners of your cell you may have been missing or ignoring. 

It then becomes all too obvious.  How can one seriously think they have any control over where they are going when they don't know that they are letting someone else drive the bus? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Kai

I like where this thread is going.

I'd like to add to the rest of these great ideas the archetype of the holy clown, the satire saint, sort of an avatar of absurdity that cuts through illusion with humor. The holy clown isn't discussed in the Principia but I think its the ultimate practical output of all the messages of Discordia overall.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Kai on June 04, 2009, 10:13:15 PM
I like where this thread is going.

I'd like to add to the rest of these great ideas the archetype of the holy clown, the satire saint, sort of an avatar of absurdity that cuts through illusion with humor. The holy clown isn't discussed in the Principia but I think its the ultimate practical output of all the messages of Discordia overall.

Excellent Point
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Arafelis

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on June 03, 2009, 02:13:23 PM
And yes, absurdity and the holistic nonsense are one of those tools.  They are the crowbars that pry open the box you are in, to let a little sunshine in to illuminate those corners of your cell you may have been missing or ignoring.

Absolutely.  But then you're out of the box.  Why keep wielding the crowbar?
"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Arafelis on June 06, 2009, 06:04:33 AM
And yes, absurdity and the holistic nonsense are one of those tools.  They are the crowbars that pry open the box you are in, to let a little sunshine in to illuminate those corners of your cell you may have been missing or ignoring.

Why throw it away?

People are far more likely to leave one box and enter another than they are to leave boxes completely.

To follow your metaphor, to throw away the crowbar after breaking out of the box is to suggest that "I know everything I need to know now; there is nothing constricting my thoughts or actions that I am not in complete control of," which sounds like just the sort of arrogant statement that gets Eris's attention and makes her do weird and uncomfortable things to you.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cainad on June 06, 2009, 03:25:01 PM

Why throw it away?

People are far more likely to leave one box and enter another than they are to leave boxes completely.

To follow your metaphor, to throw away the crowbar after breaking out of the box is to suggest that "I know everything I need to know now; there is nothing constricting my thoughts or actions that I am not in complete control of," which sounds like just the sort of arrogant statement that gets Eris's attention and makes her do weird and uncomfortable things to you.
:potd:

Cainad (dec.)

:thanks:

Cainad,
stretching metaphors until they scream

Triple Zero

Absolutely.  But then you're out of the box.

are you for serious?? :lol:
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Thurnez Isa

For me its not the wrapping, or even what is in the package that matters...
its the people opening the package that matters to me
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Triple Zero

No, the most important thing is to obtain the receipt the moment after you opened the package, so that you can exchange the present later on for a more suitable gift of similar value.

Or it's the thought that counts.

Or maybe it's not about winning the game, but about seeing what happens if you change the rules just like this

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

JESUS CHRIST, YOU HAVE TO KEEP THE CROWBAR, YOU IDIOT! WHAT THE FUCK ELSE WILL YOU DEFEND YOURSELF WITH??!??

HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT'S OUTSIDE THE BOX? HOLY FUCK!!! YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE OUT THERE WITHOUT A WEAPON!!!!

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit