News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Really Real Discordians

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, June 06, 2009, 08:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

... For Realness.

I started this page, but I really have no idea what I'm doing. Anyone want to help flesh it out?

http://discordia.wikia.com/wiki/Really_Real_Discordians
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Thurnez Isa

you just redirect that link to Uncle BadTouch's site
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz:

I was thinking of adding him, AKK, and The Lamanite as examples, but I can't quite figure out how to format it properly.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Verbal Mike

This is Really Real gold:
QuoteReally Real Discordians, irritating as they may be, serve a valuable purpose in Discordia, which is being hilarious. They also serve to make people annoyed, which frequently leads to new Discordian projects being started, as Discordians seem to be most productive when bothered.
:lulz:
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Verbal Mike

This wikia wiki thing is LOVELY. The page on "saint" has this template at the bottom:
QuoteThis page uses content from the Principia Discordia on page 00060., and may share a type of similarity with the original. The type of similarity that they may share is called "identity." All rights reversed.
This is wonderful.
That is all.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

LMNO

On Monday, I will contribute.

MMIX

Quote from: Nigel on June 06, 2009, 08:27:28 PM
... For Realness.

I started this page, but I really have no idea what I'm doing. Anyone want to help flesh it out?

NB Just a thought but this only works if PeedyDotCom is the be all and end all of Discordianism. There seems to be a lot of this going on lately. By trying to appropriate Wikia and such and flood them with local in-jokes and sub-cultural memes you are actually doing EXACTLY the same as the Really Realers you see lurking under every bed.  Personally I get pretty pissed off when people tell me how to be a Discordian No Matter Who They Are. I don't recall anyone ever suggesting that TFYS actually means Think Like I Do. Delightful Ironies ITT
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Cain

Not necessarily.  All Discordian communities are made up of people (last time I checked) and for any given group of people its fair to assume some fall within a range of behaviour that is being described here.

Only difference is PD is one of the few Discordian communities where Pinealism is generally discouraged and abritrary categorization of our fellow humans is not, and so we've had the time to come up with such phrases to describe this behaviour.  Also we are probably the largest Discordian community, and so we have more experience of such things.

Edit: wow I need to have more coffee.  I noticed three missing words before this edit, and had to put in another two.

MMIX

Quote from: Cain on June 07, 2009, 11:46:33 AM
Not necessarily.  All Discordian communities are made up of people (last time I checked) and for any given group of people its fair to assume some fall within a range of behaviour that is being described here.

Only difference is PD is one of the few Discordian communities where Pinealism is generally discouraged and abritrary categorization of our fellow humans is not, and so we've had the time to come up with such phrases to describe this behaviour.  Also we are probably the largest Discordian community, and so we have more experience of such things.

Edit: wow I need to have more coffee SLEEP.  I noticed three missing words before this edit, and had to put in another two.

- my bill is in the post - Dr MMIX's free advice for making your body love you

More seriously, Yeah I get what you are saying and I agree, actually, but there is a fine line between identifying that there are catmatic differences between the practices & non-beliefs of various flavour of Discordians and the marginalisation of certain mind-sets as being not acceptable practice because that inevitably leads to unwarranted assumptions that WE have got it right and YOU have got it all screwed up moron. I suspect there is no actual answer to this problem but that doesn't mean that it doesn't need restating on a fairly regular basis just to keep everyone on their toes. I almost said keep everybody honest, but I could hardly type it for laughing
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I understand what you're saying, but actually I'm trying to focus on archetypes which show up in every setting, not just on this forum. I used the term "Really Real Discordian" not because it's an in-joke here, but because it's a phrase which engenders instant recognition in everyone who hears it... regardless of context. I could be among magicians and say "Really Real Black Magician" and they would COMPLETELY get what I was saying, instantly. It has a strong gut resonance, and every group encounters Really Real _Whatevers_ who love to tell everyone else that they're Doin' It Wrong.

I've only been here a year and a half, but I've encountered Really Real _Whatevers_ periodically for decades, no matter what I'm doing.

My last point is that we are not "appropriating" the Wiki, we are adding to it according to our own knowledge and experiences, which is all anyone is capable of doing. That is what a Wiki is for, and in theory, if enough people do it, you end up with a fairly comprehensive encyclopedia that covers a broad range of experiences and cultures. It's really not our fault if there aren't a lot of other people/groups out there also editing this Wiki. Trying to drum up interest in editing it among other online Discordian communities might be a worthy project, if you want one.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MMIX on June 07, 2009, 10:22:05 AM
Quote from: Nigel on June 06, 2009, 08:27:28 PM
... For Realness.

NB Just a thought but this only works if PeedyDotCom is the be all and end all of Discordianism. There seems to be a lot of this going on lately. By trying to appropriate Wikia and such and flood them with local in-jokes and sub-cultural memes you are actually doing EXACTLY the same as the Really Realers you see lurking under every bed.  Personally I get pretty pissed off when people tell me how to be a Discordian No Matter Who They Are. I don't recall anyone ever suggesting that TFYS actually means Think Like I Do. Delightful Ironies ITT

And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is that whole "not getting the fucking point" thing you may have heard about.  Notice how it resembles the plaintive cry of the Out of Power Republican, who insists that anything that doesn't glorify Whites is racism, that anything that doesn't involve Calvinism is "anti-Christianity", and that anything that doesn't involve kissing the boss's ass is "class warfare".  It's just that in this particular case, we are told that if we DON'T listen to the Pinealists explain what we HAVE to do to be Discordians, then obviously we must be control freaks of some kind.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MMIX on June 07, 2009, 02:16:44 PM
Quote from: Cain on June 07, 2009, 11:46:33 AM

Edit: wow I need to have more coffee SLEEP.  I noticed three missing words before this edit, and had to put in another two.

- my bill is in the post - Dr MMIX's free advice for making your body love you

More seriously, Yeah I get what you are saying and I agree, actually, but there is a fine line between identifying that there are catmatic differences between the practices & non-beliefs of various flavour of Discordians and the marginalisation of certain mind-sets as being not acceptable practice because that inevitably leads to unwarranted assumptions that WE have got it right and YOU have got it all screwed up moron. I suspect there is no actual answer to this problem but that doesn't mean that it doesn't need restating on a fairly regular basis just to keep everyone on their toes. I almost said keep everybody honest, but I could hardly type it for laughing

And just who the fuck said something wasn't acceptable practice?  Oh, yeah, the fuckheads we're making fun of.

But you knew that.

TGRR,
This is the Kind of Shit We Have to Put Up With Department.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

fomenter

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 07, 2009, 06:03:14 PM

And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is that whole "not getting the fucking point" thing you may have heard about. 

somebody pointed this wiki out to daruko who has done the above "not getting the fucking point" thing at cog... :lulz:
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fomenter on June 07, 2009, 06:32:02 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 07, 2009, 06:03:14 PM

And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is that whole "not getting the fucking point" thing you may have heard about. 

somebody pointed this wiki out to daruko who has done the above "not getting the fucking point" thing at cog... :lulz:

Link, please?  I'm not gonna waste time looking around CoG, but it might be good for a giggle.

fomenter

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp