News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

Rage and Boredom

Started by Arafelis, June 08, 2009, 06:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

IME dissatisfied people are often conflict-seekers... and of course, boredom is often reflective of dissatisfaction. Whether mental laziness is related, I don't know.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Nigel on June 09, 2009, 06:23:52 PM
IME dissatisfied people are often conflict-seekers... and of course, boredom is often reflective of dissatisfaction. Whether mental laziness is related, I don't know.

I wonder if BiP-based commentaries which seem to spur conflict are related to this idea? Not particularly the mental laziness, but the dissatisfaction aspect.

As for the masses watching television... I'd argue that reality TV is the response to people getting bored with television. Rather than 30 minute stories about City folk moving to the country, Country folk moving to the City, Aliens trying to fit in with humans or funny people during *insert war here*... they've been forced to the most basic sort of entertainment. 'Watch other humans do stuff you wish you could do and get off on the mirror neurons in your brain".

Monkey see Flava of Love, Monkey experience it vicariously.
Monkey see American Idol, Monkey experience it vicariously.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Kai

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 09, 2009, 06:30:46 PM
As for the masses watching television... I'd argue that reality TV is the response to people getting bored with television. Rather than 30 minute stories about City folk moving to the country, Country folk moving to the City, Aliens trying to fit in with humans or funny people during *insert war here*... they've been forced to the most basic sort of entertainment. 'Watch other humans do stuff you wish you could do and get off on the mirror neurons in your brain".

Monkey see Flava of Love, Monkey experience it vicariously.
Monkey see American Idol, Monkey experience it vicariously.

Yes.

Does this mean its only a matter of time before monkeys get tired of television all together?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Not the point, really.  Arafellis posted this right after accusing me of having boredom-fueled rage.

Which is really stupid, of course.  My rage is and has always been fueled by hate.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 09, 2009, 11:34:23 PM

Not the point, really.  Arafellis posted this right after accusing me of having boredom-fueled rage.

Which is really stupid, of course.  My rage is and has always been fueled by hate.

Wow, I  missed that... he thought *you* were bored?  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on June 09, 2009, 11:41:21 PM

Amateur psychoanalysts are a dime a dozen.  *shrug*

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 09, 2009, 11:42:20 PM

Truth.

I like watching them try to pigeonhole me, and failing. Not because I am un-pigeonholable, but because they generally rely on common stereotypes. Their range isn't broad enough.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on June 09, 2009, 11:46:39 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 09, 2009, 11:42:20 PM

Truth.

I like watching them try to pigeonhole me, and failing. Not because I am un-pigeonholable, but because they generally rely on common stereotypes. Their range isn't broad enough.

It's like watching Bill Frist "diagnose" Teri Schiavo by video, only goofier.   :lol:

Cain

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 09, 2009, 06:30:46 PM... I'd argue that reality TV is the response to people getting bored with television. Rather than 30 minute stories about City folk moving to the country, Country folk moving to the City, Aliens trying to fit in with humans or funny people during *insert war here*... they've been forced to the most basic sort of entertainment. 'Watch other humans do stuff you wish you could do and get off on the mirror neurons in your brain".

Or its about money.  The first big reality TV show over here was Big Brother, which was far cheaper to make than a 22 episode gritty police procedural thriller written by the best writers the BBC has on its payroll.

Then you look at Pop (American) Idol...the guy holds a contest (which he makes money from) to find a pop star (which he makes money from).  I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here only costs enough to rig up the cameras, hire the hotel rooms for the production crew and to buy the bugs the celebs will be made to eat.

The thing about the television business is that it is first and foremost a business.  Only a very few major channels (BBC, HBO) can afford to make very good TV programs consistently, and the major commercial companies have the resources (ABC with Lost, for example) but also burn through a lot of dross and crap to get them (Heroes from Season 2, coming to mind, though no doubt you all know ABC's shitty schedule better than me)