News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

[IDEA] Deconstructing Discordianism

Started by Cain, June 09, 2009, 08:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

alright so what's the quote unquote Discordian ideal world?

Pretend I put this post in e-prime.

it's

Sort of like this world

Not so much bureaucracy

creative people have tons of rights

people are generally quite self-aware and playful

what could possibly go wrong?

other than actually electing mickey mouse

Iason Ouabache

To extend that, Cram:  What would a majority Discordian nation look like? What would a Discordian government look like? What laws and policies would a Discordian government pass? What would be forbidden and what would be allowed? What would be the unintended consequences of these laws?

I honestly have no idea where to go with this yet. I'll have to contemplate it for awhile.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on June 10, 2009, 02:29:56 AM
To extend that, Cram:  What would a majority Discordian nation look like? What would a Discordian government look like? What laws and policies would a Discordian government pass? What would be forbidden and what would be allowed? What would be the unintended consequences of these laws?

I honestly have no idea where to go with this yet. I'll have to contemplate it for awhile.

If they ever form a Discordian State, I shall tear it down.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 10, 2009, 02:32:53 AM
And that, my friend, is the ultimate paradox of Discordianism. Even if all of our dreams came true we still wouldn't be satisfied. We don't want to win. We don't actually want to take over the world. If we were offered the crown we would outright refuse it. We aren't the kings and we never want to be. We are the rat bastards behind the throne. We are the advisers that lead the emperor around by the nose while constantly trying to find ways of poisoning his sons. We are the jesters in the corner poking fun of the king right to his fucking face and getting away with it.  We are the insane monk leading the flock to certain ruin.

No, if we were ever in charge we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves. That's why we choose to always be on the fringes. We are the subversives who are constantly throwing rocks at the Establishment. It doesn't even matter who the Establishment is, they were stupid enough and greedy enough to get into power. That alone means that they are corrupt down to the little black hearts. We know because we would do the exact same thing if we had that power. We don't know the crown because we know that it isn't worth it. It's much more effective to work the edges and hope for total chaos.
    \

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on June 10, 2009, 02:29:56 AM

You'll have about 14 seconds from the time it's formed to tear it down yourself. After that I expect it will implode of its own accord.

Iason Ouabache

Yeah, there's that too. No one should ever trust us with power, ever.
    \

The Wizard

I think Iason is right. There never will be a Discordian State, at least not at the present level of human development. You would have to be able to follow a government that you couldn't take seriously...wait that's what we have now.

Scratch that. You'd have to follow a government that doesn't take itself seriously. Wouldn't work.
Insanity we trust.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on June 10, 2009, 05:02:25 AM
And that, my friend, is the ultimate paradox of Discordianism. Even if all of our dreams came true we still wouldn't be satisfied. We don't want to win. We don't actually want to take over the world. If we were offered the crown we would outright refuse it. We aren't the kings and we never want to be. We are the rat bastards behind the throne. We are the advisers that lead the emperor around by the nose while constantly trying to find ways of poisoning his sons. We are the jesters in the corner poking fun of the king right to his fucking face and getting away with it.  We are the insane monk leading the flock to certain ruin.

No, if we were ever in charge we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves. That's why we choose to always be on the fringes. We are the subversives who are constantly throwing rocks at the Establishment. It doesn't even matter who the Establishment is, they were stupid enough and greedy enough to get into power. That alone means that they are corrupt down to the little black hearts. We know because we would do the exact same thing if we had that power. We don't know the crown because we know that it isn't worth it. It's much more effective to work the edges and hope for total chaos.

We're simple contrarian nihilists a la Lebowski?

Shit, I don't think I got that memo.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

The trickster is never King... if he ever tries to be King, he fails miserably. However, the trickster is always necessary.. as the Court Jester is one of the few who can burn the bums of the King, his friends and their neighbors and survive because well, they're 'jest the Fool'.
So then, perhaps the extreme conclusion would be that all jesters, fools and tricksters would take the path of Eris. That might be ugly.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Arafelis

But there is always a king.

In the land of the jesters, who is the king?
"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

The Wizard

QuoteBut there is always a king.

The poor bastard whose job in the act is to get pie thrown in his face. The Victim.
Insanity we trust.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Arafelis on June 10, 2009, 05:50:00 AM
But there is always a king.

There is no land of the Jesters for they would all be out of work bums singing songs at each other, hoping for some food and a bed and a wench... OH MY GOD ITS US!!!!

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Wizard

I'm not out of work. I just lack a learner's permit...
Insanity we trust.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on June 10, 2009, 05:37:12 AM
We're simple contrarian nihilists a la Lebowski?

Shit, I don't think I got that memo.
You don't even know what nihilism is, do you?
    \

Brotep

It is also the job of the trickster to do all the things you're not supposed to do, and get fucked over by doing them so you see that if you do things you're not supposed to do then you, too, shall be fucked over.  Of course, that's just when the people who don't want you to do those things are telling the story.

It isn't nihilism to want to cure a disease.  That counterculture responds to the mainstream rather than forsaking and ignoring it shows there are values hidden underneath, a concern for and interest in others.

blah blah blah dialectics blah blah blah