News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

[IDEA] Deconstructing Discordianism

Started by Cain, June 09, 2009, 08:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arafelis

Reducto ad absurdum is the simplest and most easily accessible form of deconstruction, and thus, probably the one my first and possibly only contribution to this series will involve.

My hope for this project is that it starts in deconstructing Discordianism, proceeds after a bit of practice to deconstructing other irreligions, continues on to deconstructing the deconstructive process we're using, and finally ends up deconstructing Discordianism.

Because then we'll have finally started.
"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It is most delightful:

QuoteWhen asked "What is deconstruction?" Derrida replied, "I have no simple and formalisable response to this question. All my essays are attempts to have it out with this formidable question" (Derrida, 1985, p. 4)

Also:

http://books.google.com/books?id=QH91072JCpoC&pg=PA369&lpg=PA369&dq=%22I+have+no+simple+and+formalisable+response+to+this+question&source=bl&ots=yii-nvFh4c&sig=VmZUnMAULos1PvgWnV3L58F2-k8&hl=en&ei=rGUxSpjdLZOctgOfyLTdAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10#PPA368,M1
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on June 11, 2009, 09:10:48 PM
Quote from: Nigel on June 11, 2009, 09:04:27 PM
Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on June 11, 2009, 08:52:10 PM
Uh, where do you guys get the idea Deconstruction = Reductio Ad Absurdum?

My impression is that it's more subtle and insidious than that.

Where do you get the idea that that's everyone's (or indeed, anyone's) idea of deconstruction? Reductio ad absurdum is, in my opinion, one tool useful in desconstruction, and a perfectly fine place to start.

Have you read Derrida's definition of deconstruction?  :lulz:

Quote from: WikipediaWhen asked "What is deconstruction?" Derrida replied, "I have no simple and formalisable response to this question. All my essays are attempts to have it out with this formidable question" (Derrida, 1985, p. 4).

That doesn't mean you can just make up whatever you want and call it deconstruction.

No one is making anything up.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Nigel on June 11, 2009, 09:21:45 PM

Where do you get the idea that that's everyone's (or indeed, anyone's) idea of deconstruction? Reductio ad absurdum is, in my opinion, one tool useful in desconstruction, and a perfectly fine place to start.

Have you read Derrida's definition of deconstruction?  :lulz:

Quote from: WikipediaWhen asked "What is deconstruction?" Derrida replied, "I have no simple and formalisable response to this question. All my essays are attempts to have it out with this formidable question" (Derrida, 1985, p. 4).

That doesn't mean you can just make up whatever you want and call it deconstruction.

Speak for yourself... I make everything up...

at least somebunall of the time  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 11, 2009, 09:24:51 PM
Quote from: Nigel on June 11, 2009, 09:21:45 PM

Have you read Derrida's definition of deconstruction?  :lulz:

Speak for yourself... I make everything up...

at least somebunall of the time  :lulz:

:lulz:
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

AFK

You all are Dream Theater fans aren't you? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cramulus

I was enjoying the discussion several pages ago

please stop filling it with dildos

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cramulus on June 11, 2009, 09:58:51 PM

That's what your prom date said....
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Arafelis on June 11, 2009, 09:18:24 PM
Reducto ad absurdum is the simplest and most easily accessible form of deconstruction, and thus, probably the one my first and possibly only contribution to this series will involve.

My hope for this project is that it starts in deconstructing Discordianism, proceeds after a bit of practice to deconstructing other irreligions, continues on to deconstructing the deconstructive process we're using, and finally ends up deconstructing Discordianism.

Because then we'll have finally started.

Maybe you're right. All that I've read about Derrida suggests it's more about observing the ambiguous meanings in language and how they subvert the larger message.

Using the Reductio Ad Absurdum approach imposes external logic on the text, while Deconstruction implodes it based on the idea of "Differance" or meaning being endlessly deferred to other words.

I guess I see Reductio Ad Absurdum as a wrecking ball aimed at an idea and Deconstruction as assault on both the idea and the language used to describe the idea, a mini-black hole implosion, see.

At least that is my impression, and I could be utterly wrong.

The reductio ad aburdum is definitely in the spirit of Deconstruction, my response earlier wasn't well considered.

Sorry to open a bag of dildos on you guys.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

MMIX

sometimes its hard to tell when a dildo might be just the right tool for the job  :wink:

Quote from: Nigel on June 11, 2009, 08:24:54 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on June 11, 2009, 08:23:37 PM
So what is the point of this exercise again? 

For everyone to share their opinion of what would happen if Discordianism as they perceive it was taken to its logical extreme

in other words, a bunch of pointless pointed wankery.

I stand by my book burning because taken all the way TFYS would be not only the final death of the author but the death of society. We are a social creature, our lives and lifeways are intimately bound up with our our systems of communication. Without some ability to use our fellow schmucks to share the knowledge load that our very modern existence demands we would be forced to 'remake the wheel' on a virtually daily basis  . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

fomenter

wut..

i still don't follow this, why do books and society end because people think for themselves? are you saying TFYS means every body must invent there own language and stop all communication with others? that the wheel and all human creations/advancements would be invalid to use unless you dissect it rebuild it for yourself?
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Telarus

Overliteralism ITT. My kid does it on a daily basis. It is more annoying than pinealism.

:thumb:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Wizard

Quotei still don't follow this, why do books and society end because people think for themselves? are you saying TFYS means every body must invent there own language and stop all communication with others? that the wheel and all human creations/advancements would be invalid to use unless you dissect it rebuild it for yourself?

I think that they're taking it not to it's logical conclusion but to a hypothetical extreme. Where TFYS is so dominant in everyone that they refuse to take in any information that they didn't think up themselves. Or at least that's what I think is the idea.
Insanity we trust.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cramulus on June 11, 2009, 09:58:51 PM
I was enjoying the discussion several pages ago

^ What he said.